Author Topic: Roger Davis: Most and Least favorite  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Davis: Most and Least favorite
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 05:21:59 AM »
I was okay with early Peter Bradford/1795 and early Jeff Clark/1968 - particularly the scene where Jeff convinces Julia Hoffman that there's something funky going on in Dr. Lang's laboratory. Other than that, Davis was most appealing in voice-overs. AND he showed good taste as Dirk when he flashed his fangs at the delectable Don Briscoe (Tim Shaw).

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 10:38:56 AM »
I thought he was fine in HODS.  In an interview, RD explained his over-the-top theatrics as his way of compensating for not knowing his lines.  I imagine he was better rehearsed for HODS, and therefore was able to give a more low-key performance.  But he has never been a favorite of mine, in any incarnation, on the TV series.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 04:53:16 PM »
There really is no favorite or least favorite for me. It's more like more tolerable and least tolerable. I found all of his characters to be too similar and I never actually liked any of them.

Jeff Clark bothered me the most. Ned Stuart would have been worse than Jeff except that he wasn't in the show nearly as long, and so he got under my skin but didn't bury himself under it like Jeff did. Neither of his 1897 roles irritated me as much as Jeff Clark or Ned Stuart, though I didn't think too highly of them. Purely on a performance level, I would have named Peter Bradford as the more tolerable of his characters, but with him showing up in the present as Jeff.... And I don't like the Peter/Victoria romance.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 05:11:43 PM »
Re Dirk... exactly.    I love the moment when Dirk is gradually clueing Judith in on how their "relationship" is about to "change".     RD obviously relished playing crazy, obsessed people, and as for it being absolutely intolerable for an actor's enthusiasm for a role to show, loosen up, I say.    I have little  tolerance for shallow, melodramatic overacting, and I've never found anything to object to in Davis.    Another great moment is approximately 100 year old Tate in 1970, with his crazy laser light show and department store dummy stand-in.    Subtlety is not called for when playing unsubtle characters.

His reputation at conventions may be coloring people's responses to his acting.    His acting seems average for DS.     Not the best, not the worst, with an enjoyable individual personality to it.   I've never once looked at DS and thought, "That damn Roger Davis touches his hair all the time."   Now, the next time I watch, I'll end up fixating on it only because everyone here talks about it.

I'm pretty much with you here Magnus T. I never thought of Roger as accomplished as say I do John Karlen or Thayer David, but I never really found him one of the worst. I think he does shout sometimes too often when he attempts to emphasize. I could easily name a few other performers who I thought were less interesting or as annoying to me as Roger appears to many on the board. (I won't name them here as it seems everyone on the show seems to have some kind of loyal following on some level.) I like him the most when he's doing more ernest scenes like when Jeff Clark is asking David to be in the wedding, or when he is in 1795 going to the gallows.
     I think you are dead on about the fact that as Roger has gotten on people's nerves at the festivals, that this colors their impressions when they watch him on the show.  I can't say all of his remarks or actions at shows are appropriate or even at times defensible. But again, I will say he's always been nice to be personally.
     I will also agree with the person who suggested he's more suited to westerns, which may be true overall. "Alias Smith and Jones" is probably his best work. I liked Roger in the seldom seen "Ruby" and for that matter, his old "Busch Gardens Williamsburg" spots.

Michael    [angel12] 
[/color]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
I liked Roger in the seldom seen "Ruby"

Was wondering if 'Ruby' was the recent movie about Jack Ruby, think it came out in the 90's, and went to the IMDb to look.  Not the same movie by a damn sight, LOL!  But non-the-less it sounds INCREDIBLE!  Got to find this thing.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 06:58:39 PM »
Yes, its not the one with Sherilyn Fenn.  [thumb] "Ruby" (1977) with Roger Davis also has a nice performance by Piper Laurie. I found the DVD after speaking with Curtis Harrington at a FANEX show in Hunt Valley (near Baltimore) I will probably bring it with me to the fest this year. (I often wonder if the fest people are looking for copies of things like this or "Seizure" if they want to show them in the evenings. I'd be happy to lend them for a showing.)
       This is the DVD that has hilarious erroneous information in the cast and credits area, confusing DS Roger Davis with another actor of the same name who's career went back to the silent era, and listing his work with our Roger's, as well as the older actor's DOB and date of his passing.  I remember asking Roger if he'd seen the DVD, and saying to  him how, "That according to the DVD you passed away in 1980, but many of us appreciate that your death has not prevented you from continuing to attend the festivals."   ::)   [grim]

I don't know, BTW, who loves our portable DVD player more, Diane or myself. They are great toys!

Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 09:06:21 PM »
I don't know, BTW, who loves our portable DVD player more, Diane or myself. They are great toys!

That's my next 'toy'.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 10:51:54 PM »
When it comes to RD, I can't speak for anyone else, but I was, shall we say, less than impressed with his DS work long before I ever attended my first Fest in '89 or witnessed some of his antics at Fests. And I don't believe I've allowed his behavior at Fests (which I will concede has greatly improved over the years - particularly over the past 10) to color my thinking about his DS work for the simple fact that there are DS actors whose work I continue to enjoy on the show, yet I've often been greatly disappointed with the personas they've put on at times during the Fests. And similarly, there are DS actors whose DS work I've never really enjoyed, yet in person at the Fests I find them to be some of the sweetest people anyone could ever possibly meet. And also, I'm always more than willing to say that much of RD's non-DS work is really quite good. For me it's quite simple to separate the actor/personality from their DS work.  :)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 01:29:25 AM »
I have said before that once Vicky and Peter walk off in the sunset in the Return to 1796, that should have been the last of RD on Dark Shadows.

Three different actors should have been cast to play Ned Stuart, Dirk Wilkins, & Charles Delaware Tate.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 03:10:11 AM »
I have said before that once Vicky and Peter walk off in the sunset in the Return to 1796, that should have been the last of RD on Dark Shadows.

Three different actors should have been cast to play Ned Stuart, Dirk Wilkins, & Charles Delaware Tate.

I agree...but he was a pretty good scenery chewer when he played Dirk. I like a little scenery chewing from time to time...I don't want to name names or offend anyone, but, Grayson Hall, who will remain nameless, chewed a little scenery in her day, didn't she? 
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 09:51:09 AM »
I'll throw in as a factor here that I just barely have seen P Bradford (1970 doesn't count) and have seen a bit of Dirk toward the end, and all of Tate, but not the other RD characters mentioned, or as a kid only, and I don't remember them.

I'm not sure Dirk or Tate could have been anything more than they were, as played by RD.   Not complicated characters.   They were at their best when worked up.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 03:28:40 PM »
there are DS actors whose work I continue to enjoy on the show, yet I've often been greatly disappointed with the personas they've put on at times during the Fests.

I feel the same way completely.  I won't name names, but there are certain stars who I find grating and/or annoying, but I still enjoy their characters.

And similarly, there are DS actors whose DS work I've never really enjoyed, yet in person at the Fests I find them to be some of the sweetest people anyone could ever possibly meet.

Again, I agree.  And since this will be complimentary I *will* name a name.  Tim Gordon.  Wasn't too fond of his Ghost of Jeremiah, mostly because he really didn't DO anything but also I couldn't understand why they couldn't convince Anthony George to put in another week or so of work to play his own character's death, but I digress.  But Tim was the NICEST, sweetest, kindest, funniest guy.  I really enjoyed meeting and talking w/him on one of my first Fest's back in the '90's.  He was a true gem.   ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 10:56:47 PM »
Well i like Mr. Davis as Charles Delaware Tate!! I thought when and quentin argued it was awsome. and how petofi tortured him. I liked Jeff to a point. Did not care for peter bradford. I liked Ned and Dirk as well.

Evan

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2006, 02:34:10 AM »
When it comes to RD, I can't speak for anyone else, but I was, shall we say, less than impressed with his DS work long before I ever attended my first Fest in '89 or witnessed some of his antics at Fests.

It's the same for me. I've never been to a fest - unfortunately - and didn't know anything about him for a long time after I started watching DS.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2006, 04:45:57 AM »
there are DS actors whose work I continue to enjoy on the show, yet I've often been greatly disappointed with the personas they've put on at times during the Fests.

I feel the same way completely.  I won't name names, but there are certain stars who I find grating and/or annoying, but I still enjoy their characters.

I agree with you both. There were certain people who I met at the Fests who seemed entirely put off by the whole idea. Certain people shall remain nameless, but there is always an air of tension when certain people take the stage together. Granted we should be thankful to them for appearing at all, yet they should be thankful to us for keeping the show alive and loving them for their part in it 40 years after the fact. (Just my opinion).

There are people though who are absolutely darling to anyone and everyone 24/7, and I will name a few names (I have met), namely Kathryn Leigh Scott, Terry Crawford and Chris Pennock.