Author Topic: Another Dark Shadows Book/Daytime Gothic  (Read 572 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another Dark Shadows Book/Daytime Gothic
« on: April 01, 2022, 04:42:14 PM »
Another DS publication is in the works. This one is called Daytime Gothic and it will be a print publication for later in the year. It's being put together by DS forum member Stuart Manning, whose Dark Shadows Journal was a quality publication. Contributions may be sent to collinwood80@gmail.com. For further information and updates: eepurl.com/hROPjL
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Another DS Book!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 12:51:16 AM »
Sounds really great thanks for sharing.
Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: Another DS Book!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 10:04:21 PM »
I just received my copy of Daytime Gothic yesterday. Stuart really outdid himself on this. It is printed more like a graphic novel rather than his previous fanzines. It comes in at 128 pages . There is an article about Nancy Barrett, KLS on Mitch Ryan, Mark Perry on his reboot, Matthew Hall on his mother Grayson,  some fan essays, DS artwork and loads of photos. It took awhile to finally make it to print then some delays on shipping but you can tell was a real labor of love. Will take awhile to take it all in but I highly recommend it.  Good job Stuart!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Daytime Gothic
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 07:39:09 PM »
I think there may already be a thread for this, but it must be buried way down several screens away.

A few days ago Stuart Manning's newly compiled homage to our show, Daytime Gothic, arrived in the cobwebbed catacombs of Gothickwood. I could really pile on the superlatives in attempting to describe this gorgeous new tribute to our beloved Dark Shadows. To start with, it's absolutely stunning as a visual artifact, with numerous photos I have never seen before--and given how much DS material circulates online now, that's a major achievement in and of itself!

Somewhat surprisingly to myself, the most touching article thus far in my reading has been KLS's remembrance of the late Mitchell Ryan. It's one of the best things she's ever written, and provides a lovely glimpse of an actor and a human I have never really known much about.

Matthew Hall, Grayson's son, contributed a great memoir of his parents, illustrated again with some great photos, including a wonderful one of Sam and Grayson together later in life. There's also this fabulous shot of Matt with full-on Fu Manchu mustache taken with his Mom at one of her garden parties (I think).

Our own Penny Dreadful aka Danielle wrote a fascinating piece enumerating ten classic horror tales, some quite obscure, that could have been mined for future DS storylines. Mark B. Perry contributes yet another promotional piece describing some of his ideas for his proposed "Next Generation" series. A writer I don't know offered a long article about "Port Charles" and influences from DS. My dear friend Laramie Dean composed an exquisite tale, "Ode to Angeliques," featuring a new appearance by our favorite Witch, the insidious Cassandra Collins. Ansel Faraj is represented with something about B horror movies and DS which looks like a lot of fun. Nancy Barrett and Lara Parker share memories of working on the show that are really heartwarming to read. And there's more, so much more.

Link to purchase this book (it's described as a zine but is really a book):

https://tenacrefilms.bigcartel.com/product/daytime-gothic-celebrating-tv-s-supernatural-soap-opera-dark-shadows

cheers, Gothick

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Daytime Gothic
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 07:49:31 PM »
I forgot to mention that among the new photos published in the book, there's this candid black and white shot of Joan and Louis laughing on the sofa in the drawing room. It's such a rare intimate glimpse of two people we love having a bit of fun in the midst of the insanity that was working on Dark Shadows. And it may be my favorite of all the photos in this new volume.

G.

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 08:19:44 PM »
Gothick, I posted under Uncle Roger's original post Another DS Book to try to keep it within the same posting chain. It didn't say Daytime Gothic in the header so easy to miss. Anyway, we both had the same reaction  ... a really outstanding effort by Stuart.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 12:33:31 AM »
Gothick,

Thanks for the information on “Daytime Gothic.” It sounds like a great read. And, I would really like to see the photographs from the publication.

KLS also had some terrific photographs in her first book, “My Scrapbook Memories of Dark Shadows.” Two
photos, I especially liked in Ms. Scott’s book were of KLS and her future husband, Ben Martin, meeting Thayer David while antiquing on a Sunday morning in Greenwich Village, and one of Ms. Scott, enjoying a much-
needed cup of coffee in the basement of Lyndhurst, before beginning filming for the day on “House of Dark
Shadows.”

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Another Dark Shadows Book/Daytime Gothic
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 06:19:16 PM »
I agree about the photos in the ORIGINAL edition of "My Scrapbook Memories." Miss Scott's writing talents have made a lot of progress since that time.

The photos of Thayer in the antique store are among my all-time faves.

G.

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 09:42:14 PM »
I agree about the photos in the ORIGINAL edition of "My Scrapbook Memories." Miss Scott's writing talents have made a lot of progress since that time.

The photos of Thayer in the antique store are among my all-time faves.

G.

If Ms. Scott conducts another tour of Lyndhurst this fall, I’ll bring along my copy of “My Scrapbook Memories of Dark Shadows” to the event, and ask KLS to finally autograph the book “only” 37 years after I bought it at a bookstore located next door to the Radio City Music Hall.  [easter_grin]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 02:18:42 AM »
Hey, BTB, whenever I was in the city back then I would head over to COLONY RECORDS and drool over the out of print Supremes LPs. It is also where I bought the Dark Shadows LP. I didn't even know there was going to be an LP and I nearly fainted when I saw it. I was lucky enough to have the 'Negative exposure" back cover edition. I remember thinking it was very weird. I didn't start frequenting bookstores (eh, hem, rofl) until I was in my later teens. Once I discovered used bookstores that was all she wrote (no pun, really). And I am not a reader, lol. I did collect the Ross stories tho at the local bookshop downtown across from the back end of Steinbach's on Cookman in Asbury. That guy had a small crystal ball for sale that I would stare at while he was ringing up my order. I think it was fifty bucks. I knew I'd never own a crystal ball. This was during the Petofi story line so my fascination was keen.

I remember seeing  Scrapbook Memories in the Seaview Square Mall in Neptune. I was in my "think like an adult' stage and passed on it, tho I stood there and looked at every single page b4 I put it back. I did end up with a copy eventually. Either off of Ebay or maybe a reprint.

KLS was the first cast member I talked to at my first convention. I really enjoyed the moment.

I've stopped collecting (and I wouldn't purchase this if I were) but I would love to see the photo's in this  publication. Which makes me think of the guy who always yelled at me for looking through the magazines b4 buying them. Great memories (now).

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 02:34:10 PM »
Oh, Dom,

You bring back great memories when you mention COLONY Records and Seaview Square Mall! I think COLONY Records closed around ten years ago. Another great record store in Manhattan was J & R Music, downtown on Park Row across from City Hall. I spent many lunch hours, checking out the LPs and cds there. They also had a great selection of audio equipment.

And, Seaview Square Mall in Ocean Township, NJ, wasn’t that one of the first malls on the NJ shore? I also remember Steinbach’s and Sears Roebuck in Asbury Park, when that seaside resort town was kind of rough. In
fact, I remember a segment on “The Today Show” a number of years ago, where they had Bruce Springsteen
and Matt Lauer (remember him?) driving down the main drag (Route 35) of Asbury Park in a vintage Cadillac.
And, the way they filmed it, with a tv camera focused only on them in the car, so you couldn’t see how dreadful
the stores and buildings were along the way. However, today after all of the new construction and renovation
work
in town, and with an influx of young urban professionals, Asbury Park has experienced a renaissance. You
almost wouldn’t recognize the place.  [easter_shocked] [easter_smiley]

Another great record store is Jack’s Music Shoppe in Red Bank, NJ. Like COLONY Records they have a large selection of cds and vintage LPs of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Supremes. Bruce Springsteen, a
frequent customer, also donated some autographed guitars to the store. In fact, after I saw 10,000 Maniacs at
the nearby Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, I told some of the guys in the band, that I had bought a number
of their cds at Jack’s Music Shoppe. (Of course, I didn’t tell them that I had bought a lot of their used cds,
which sound like new, for $3.00 at that venerable record store!)

Oh, yeah, another great book store was the “Book Bin” on Arnold Avenue in Point Pleasant, NJ. I bought a dog-eared copy of “Barnabas Collins In a Funny Vein” there many years ago.

Bob

PS It’s going to be 85 degrees in the tri-state area on Friday. I think I’ll bring my copy of “The Dark Shadows Companion” to read as I’m catching some rays at Sandy Hook this weekend!  [easter_cool] [easter_grin]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 03:26:34 PM »
BTB,

I go down to the shore (lol, I NEVER EVER call it the shore) about twice a month weather permitting. Maybe we can meet sometime for a libation and reminisce of what once was (there). I go thru Asbury, my old stomping grounds, to refresh my mem's often but I haven't checked anything out as far as dining goes. I have a friend I treat to lunch and I think I will start going to Asbury to check out the local cuisine.

If CJ's (on Cookman, close to Main St.) didn't have the 45 I was looking for, I would take the bus to Red Bank to go to Jack's. Jack's was my 'oldies' store. High school days.

Enjoy the high temps! I have all the books and have read none. Maybe two Ross Novels. All the new stuff I just collected, looked at the pix and done. I would really like to read SHADOWS ON THE WALL the Art Wallace thing. Maybe someday.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 11:31:25 PM »
Finally got my copy! It's a good read and a quality publication, though I would have expected no less from Stuart. It's still amazing to me that new photos (new to me, anyway) can surface after half a century.
A lot of the book contains what The New York Times used to refer to as "think" pieces, where the writer would muse about an extended topic in the Sunday edition. There are a few examples in the book. It's a matter of personal preference but I would have liked to have read a piece about some of the later tv incarnations than an extended one on Port Charles, which brought vampires to General Hospital.
The three major DS surviving leading ladies each contribute an article. TLATKLS writes about working with the late Mitch Ryan after many years. It's nicely done.
Lara Parker writes about a typical day on the set. It's interesting because she is so associated with the show but was absent for large chunks of story. She admired Nancy, John Karlen and Humbert but manages to throw a little shade at Lisa Richard's.
She valiantly attempts to explain her friendship with Roger Davis. She states that she felt sorry for Roger because "most people despised or were somewhat critical of."
Nancy was there from the beginning and seemed to genuinely enjoy working on the show. She also singles out John Karlen as one of her favorite acting partners but mentions that Joan Bennett had difficulty adjusting to the pressures of daytime TV. She also mentions asking to leave two later soaps, The Doctors and Ryan's Hope, because she wasn't as comfortable there as she was on DS.
Nancy did mention that she and Joan Bennett had actually played mother and daughter once before  in a vintage commercial for Jergen's Lotion. Has this commercial surfaced anywhere,  MB? I'd sure love to see it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 08:13:24 PM »
Daytime Gothic has sold out. There may be a small reprint, if there is sufficient interest. If you are interested in a second printing, email collinwood80@gmail.com and let them know. Otherwise, it's only likely to be available through the secondary market.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2023, 01:57:41 PM »
There has indeed been a reprint. As stated, it's a small one of 100 copies, many of which are already sold. So, if you want a copy, it's probably best to act now.
Even more tantalizing is the possibility of a sequel to be published in 2024.
Fade Away and Radiate