Author Topic: #0778 Why would Pansy . . .  (Read 598 times)

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
#0778 Why would Pansy . . .
« on: March 29, 2022, 09:44:30 PM »
So I’ve been going through Robservations.  I’m up to 779,  the 1897 story line has been pretty epic so far.

I do have to ask though why would Pansy’s Ghosts give Carl a dream about Barnabas?
Didn’t Dirk kill her?   
Barnabas only hid the body?
Unless Angelique is behind it I don’t understand why Pansy would seem to be plotting revenge.

Any thoughts?

778  . . .

Carl, asleep, dreams.  We see a pretty multi-colored lamp beside his bed, a ball atop the legs of a jester balancing it.  Pansy hums her song.  He calls to her, over and over.  She's in her dressing room, getting ready for her show, dressed in spangles, all made up.  Carl comes to her and she tells him he's just in time for her farewell performance--I'm going away!  Why? he asks.  The way things worked out, she says, it's time to retire.  You can't go, he objects.  It's the way things worked out, she repeats--and it ain't been all roses for Pansy, ya know--psychic powers take it out on a girl.  He kneels and tells her, if you stay with me, I'll but you a big house, beautiful clothes, and we'll go around the world together!  Sorry, luv, she says, it's time for Pansy's farewell, and you can't stop me, the show must go on--and what a revealing show it's going to be! she grins--come and see for yourself, luv, she invites.  We hear applause, see PANSY FAYE in glitter.  She stands onstage and says, "There is one answer we seek tonight, and it must be found.  She asks for a volunteer, and points to Barnabas, who shakes his head, no.  She asks Judith to come up, not to be afraid, give her a hand! she calls.  She instructs Judith to concentrate on the answer, which will come slowly, but it will come.  Judith says she can't concentrate on the answer without knowing the question.  You know the question, says Pansy harshly, everyone at Collinwood does!  Judith doesn't!  Carl comes up and squeals, "I do!"  Pansy invites him up.  "The question is this!" says Carl.  "Who is the vampire?!"
No, says Judith.  What do you mean, no, demands Pansy.  Judith insists, you know what I mean.  "I certainly do," says Pansy--"your mind's a pane of glass to me--you think the vampire dead!"  He is, says Judith.  No, says Pansy, the vampire is not dead, he lives, he walks among you.  Judith runs off, screaming.  Barnabas watches her flee.  Pansy asks for another volunteer, and points to Barnabas.  No, he says again, "but how about this boy--he's the brightest of the lot."  Carl, ecstatic, races up onstage.  Pansy kisses his mouth, for luck, then says, "The question."  "Who is the vampire!" says Carl.  Pansy raises her hands and says, "Hidden by day, stalking by night, killing those who cross his path, Pansy will tear away his mask, Pansy will find his hiding place, and put a picture of it in your mind--concentrate. . .concentrate...is there an image for me?"  Carl says he can't tell yet.  Don't fight it, she urges, see it with your mind, your inner eye, your psychic soul. . .see it!"  A vision of the Collins mausoleum comes to Carl, who yells out, "I see it!"--I don't understand--what does the picture of the mausoleum mean?--who will I find there, you must tell me more!  "There is no more tonight--or any other night," she says (and it's spooky, too, the way she grins).  "My music, please!"  Applause. She sings her song, off-key, not matching the music.  Carl comes out of his dream with a start.  "The mausoleum!" he says.  "I must find out what it means!"
 . . .
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: #0778 Why would Pansy . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 04:44:07 PM »
Yeah, that whole deal with Pansy’s demise is very puzzling. When Dirk Wilkins bit Pansy fatally on the neck, it was odd that Barnabas just buried her in an unmarked grave without first taking some “precautions.” Shouldn’t Barnabas have chained Pansy inside her coffin as Joshua Collins had done with him (presuming that some makeshift coffin had been made or was readily available)? And, if no coffin was at hand, shouldn’t Mr. B. have just staked Pansy before “planting” her?

One other thing about Dirk’s vampire attack on Pansy; I think this was the only time on DS that we saw a member of the “living dead” attack someone in their vespertilian form. Every other vampire we saw on DS maintained their human form when “greeting” their victims with a memorable “hickey”: Barnabas, Angelique, Tom Jennings, Megan Todd and Roxanne Drew.

As to why the deceased Pansy would direct Carl “The Comedian” Collins to Barnabas rather than Dirk is perplexing. Maybe Pansy never realized who had attacked her? Certainly, she’d want to exact her revenge on the loopy Dirk Wilkins rather than Barnabas.

Similarly, when the ghost of Sam Evans appeared to Vicky Winters to tell her the “dream,” which was a threat to Barnabas, and Vicky pleaded with Sam to tell her who was behind the dream and for what reason, Sam refused to tell Vicky. Since Sam had already departed this mortal coil, why didn’t Sam just tell Vicky all about Barnabas and how Barnabas had abducted his beloved daughter, Maggie, terrorized her for weeks and almost turned her into one of the “living dead,” not to mention that Sam had lost his vision, “courtesy” of Barnabas’ feckless plan to eliminate Angelique. I mean, I wouldn’t blame Sam at all if he wanted to stick the knife into Barnabas and twist it from beyond the grave, in order to pay Barnabas back and enjoy some good, old schandenfreude at Barnabas’ expense.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 05:07:51 PM »
The show made sure there was a cord around Pansy's throat, indicating that she died from strangulation rather than the bite and, therefore, wouldn't rise as a vampire.

As for why blame Barnabas rather than Dirk, maybe somehow Pansy with her second sight knew it was Barnabas who'd made Dirk a vampire? And since Dirk had already been dispatched before Carl's dream, perhaps Pansy blamed Barnabas not only because he was still around, but because without him Dirk never would have become a vampire?

As for Sam, Cassandra threatened him that he would never be allowed to rest unless he did what she wanted, and when he refused, she displayed her powers to him. Aware of her powers, and quite possibly aware of Cassandra's obsession with Barnabas (after all, Sam told Cassandra he knew the truth about her), perhaps he was afraid that if he revealed anything about Barnabas or tried to move against him, Cassandra would make good on her threat?

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 06:06:41 PM »
I forgot about the cord around Pansy’s neck. But just how did Dirk in his “vespertilian” form, manage to strangle Carl’s inamorata? And, I forgot that Dirk was taking a “dirt nap” before the vivacious Ms. Faye appeared to Carl in that dream.

Yes, I can see why Sam might not want to spill the beans on Barnabas to Vicky. Still, I’ve always thought it was an absolute injustice that Barnabas never had to account for his horrific deeds (much like Carlo Rizzi  had to account to Michael Corleone for Carlo’s treacherous set-up of Sonny Corleone in Godfather I).  I wish Sam had just said, “Screw Cassandra/Angelique,” and made a clean breast of it to Vicky.

In Dale Clark’s superb DS novels, there’s a scene in which Barnabas pathetically attempts to apologize to Maggie for being such a figurative and literal monster to her, which an understandably outraged Maggie does not want to listen to at all. And, let’s not forget that the completely “mortal” Barnabas had no problem at all with abducting the now parent-less Maggie (thanks in part to Barnabas) and using her as the life-force (at considerable risk to Maggie’s life) to create a mate for the unbelievably testosterone-fueled Adam.

Thankfully, Willie Loomis, in his own maladroit way, saved Maggie from the apparently cold and callous
Barnabas. Boy, Barnabas really ticked me off with that rotten move and I recall excoriating him here on the DSF when the old Sci-Fi Channel aired those episodes many moons ago.

Bah humbug, Barnabas!  [easter_angry] [easter_evil]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 06:52:39 PM »
But just how did Dirk in his “vespertilian” form, manage to strangle Carl’s inamorata?

I suspect that's one of those types of questions we're not supposed to ask?  [easter_wink]  Though chances are Dirk had to change to human form to get Pansy from the woods where he attacked her to the drawing room at the Old House, so I suppose he strangled her while he was still in human form. And then, perhaps, changed back and literally flew away.  [easter_cheesy]

Still, I’ve always thought it was an absolute injustice that Barnabas never had to account for his horrific deeds

You're definitely not alone there!

I wish Sam had just said, “Screw Cassandra/Angelique,” and made a clean breast of it to Vicky.

If only! But then, just like Maggie's memory was wiped after she remembered, something would have probably happened to wipe Vicki's memory of what Sam told her.

And, let’s not forget that the completely “mortal” Barnabas had no problem at all with abducting the now parent-less Maggie (thanks in part to Barnabas) and using her as the life-force (at considerable risk to Maggie’s life) to create a mate for the unbelievably testosterone-fueled Adam.

How could we forget! (And don't even get me started on Adam's behavior at that point in the plot!!)

Boy, Barnabas really ticked me off with that rotten move and I recall excoriating him here on the DSF when the old Sci-Fi Channel aired those episodes many moons ago.

Bah humbug, Barnabas!  [easter_angry] [easter_evil]

Indeed!

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 07:32:06 PM »
I’ve heard that one reason why we never saw Adam again at Collinwood, was that Dan Curtis became annoyed with actor Robert Rodan’s request for more money. But, beyond that, how could Adam ever return to Collinsport with a presumptive warrant out for him for the strangulation murder of Eve, the assault on a Collinsport policeman and also Adam’s assaults on both Carolyn and Vicky. Oh, I forgot that Adam also assaulted Sam Evans (ultimately fatally) and Tony Petersen and coldcocked Joe Haskell, putting Joe into the intensive care unit at the Collinsport Hospital.

I’m surprised that the upstanding Professor T. Elliott Stokes would have had anything to do with Adam after that “performance” by the big lug.

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 07:31:09 PM »
I can’t think of much too add, but wanted to say I appreciate and enjoyed reading the replies.  ^_^

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 08:57:24 PM »
I can’t think of much too add, but wanted to say I appreciate and enjoyed reading the replies.  ^_^

Thank you for the insightful question. Several years ago, this question would have elicited many responses. Sadly, many of our formerly prolific posters/cousins have apparently faded away, much like how Tony Petersen, Adam and the irrepressible Buzz Hackett faded away on “Dark Shadows.”  [easter_undecided] [easter_huh]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 09:00:06 PM »
Interestingly, many prolific posters of the past lurk but choose to no longer post.  [idontknow]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 01:11:30 AM »
Pansy was one of those characters I wished they had developed more and kept on the dockets for a longer stint.  To me, she had a great deal of potential.  I could've envisioned a subplot where, to the horrors of the more astute Collinses, Carl would've not only viewed her as a romantic interest, but would avail himself as her "agent," thinking she had a future in entertainment.  She would hang around, thinking the money of her companion (either refusing to believe or thinking there was a way around his being left as heirless as Joan Crawford's two oldest children) would assist in her desire to be star of stage.  But, alas, she arrived, she teased, and then she was gone, semi-resurrecting through Charity.  If only they had done more with her.

It was like the PT70 plot with William and Carolyn Loomis.  I really, really liked their characters.  They brought a certain Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf edge to the great estate of Collinwood.  It's a shame DC and the other PTBs eventually shoved character development/employment to the back burners for the "spooky stuff" (as my mother called it).  My favorite part of the 1840/41 storyline (and that storyline was one of my very least favorites) was the building, venomous relationship between Quentin and Samantha, based upon the increasing animosity they shared, including over the possible true parentage of Tad, not anything dealing with the netherworld.  Now that's heady stuff.

Gerard

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 08:10:18 PM »
It’s interesting how Pansy was killed off so quickly.  Makes me think they realized too late that the character was a hit and tried to bring her back anyway they could, though the Charity‘s true self thing was clever it seems awkward because of the Pansy ghost story line. 

——
Thanks for the complement Bob_the_Bartender

I’ve been on several forums that slow down.  It’s kind of sad, but at the same point the few active posters make the forums fun still.  Forums like these are so much better than Reddit too. 

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 12:18:31 AM »
McTrooper,

Yes, Pansy Faye was a wonderful character; she was saucy and was a great contrast to those two hidebound siblings, Judith and Edward Collins. Although she was only in a few episodes, the late Kay Frye was great fun to watch as the cockney-bred Pansy. The only other time I saw Ms. Frye was in the film, “Shamus,” where she portrayed a beautiful and decidedly zaftig romantic interest for Burt Reynolds.

Another great DS character, who was killed off way too soon was the colorful and grammatically-challenged King Johnny Romano, portrayed by actor Paul Michael. When King Johnny donned his ceremonial attire in preparation  for “re-acquiring” Count Petofi’s magical hand, he said to Magda Racosi, “Hey, Magda, ain’t I looking good in this outfit?”

After Aristide “thwarted” King Johnny’s plan to “relieve” Count Petofi of his hand, I remember reading an article at the time, where the DS writers expressed regret in killing off the colorful gypsy king. Apparently, many of the young DS fans enjoyed the flamboyant Johnny Romano and were sorry to see him go.

At least, with the iconoclastic Buzz Hackett, the DS writers just sort of let him fade away and did not bump him off, leaving the faint hope, that we might, yet, see the “Buzz-man” once again on the show.

Alas, what might have been on Dark Shadow... [easter_cry] [easter_rolleyes]

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 12:06:56 AM »
That’s really interesting about Johnny.

I’m not sure how they could keep him in the story  . . . unless they tricked him into going into the future somehow, so he could be added to what ever storyline happens next.