Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0055  (Read 290 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0055
« on: March 28, 2022, 08:26:07 PM »
Robservations #55

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0055

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 01:31:19 PM »
I’m starting to see why this episode (at least seems to) come up so much in some way.
A lot happens.  I’ve read the Robservation of it awhile ago, but revisiting it is pretty enjoyable.

Loved this bit of dialogue:
Sarcastically Roger says, "I suppose if you see a man fall off a 12 story building, you have to have an autopsy to determine the cause of his death." Yes, we do, the sheriff says. Roger says he never heard of anything so ridiculous, and Patterson says, significantly, "Well, for one thing, the party on the 12th story may have been shot before he fell." Roger looks sharply at the sheriff, his mouth a thin angry line.

It’s very clever.

A pretty dramatic episode in a good way.
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 03:49:25 PM »
Yes, that line from the sheriff is a good one - and it's very true. The man could have been dead before his body fell. Nowadays we often see that on the nighttime shows. But then Roger hadn't had the advantage of having watched any of the CSI shows because they hadn't come on yet.  [easter_wink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 10:33:16 PM »
Roger learns Bill is dead and seems shocked.  Sheriff George has to see if Bill drowned or was dead before he hit the water.  George offers some theories such as suicide to gauge the reactions of the siblings I would assume. When the sheriff does leave, Elizabeth asks her brother about how truthful he was in his answers. Elizabeth eventually appears to believe Roger.
Meanwhile, in town, the Evans’ spar at the diner. They talk about the letter and Sam wants it back. Maggie refuses. George comes in for coffee and donuts. Tea at the mansion just didn’t cut it for the big guy. The coast guard calls and they found Bill Malloy dead. Francis Swann wrote this episode.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 03:25:22 PM »
That’s a pretty good summary alwaysdavid
——

Good point about shows like CIS not being around, Mysterious Benefactor.
I imagine lots of tv / and movies were more focused on the adventure than the procedure of crime and detective work.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 04:33:38 AM »
Interesting episode. Not that impressed with the opening voiceover.

I recall thinking Roger killed Burke so I imagine that's what the writers wanted us to believe. Roger does seem eager to advance all of the sheriff's non-murderous theories. And squirms as Liz unsurprisingly blabs everything Roger doesn't want the sheriff to know.

More of the same Sam/Maggie bullshit. Sam is more annoying than Maggie in my opinion. I love KLS as Maggie.

The best part of the episode is the conversation between Roger and Liz, in and out of context. A lot of delicious lines. I wish Bennett hadn't flubbed the line, "At the moment, we're the only ones here, unless of course you intend to include the ghost of your past." To which Roger replies, "Very well, I and my ghost want a drink. My nerves are shot!" Liz grills him and as usual Roger lies and evades while insisting he isn't lying or evading, lol. In any other soap Liz and Roger would be unhappily married.

Sam refers to Bill Malloy in the past tense. Perhaps we are to suspect Sam as well as Roger in Bill's death. I think I remember thinking that too. Sam concedes to Maggie that Bill Malloy is the only man who can possibly help him. Within five minutes of saying so, he finds out that Bill Malloy is dead.

Liz calls her lifetime home by the wrong name. She refers to it as Collinswood. Sight and sound betray the cameraman as he bumps into something.

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 11:52:25 PM »
Your probably right dom about “In any other soap Liz and Roger would be unhappily married.”  It’s definitely more dynamic with them as brother and sister.