Author Topic: Old Soaps  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Old Soaps
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2006, 08:04:28 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Santa Barbara again.  I used to watch that back in the mid '80s.

I loved Santa Barbara. And interestingly many in the soap press used to liken the show to DS - though not because it was supernatural in nature (though they did throw in one or two supernatural twists from time to time), but because it had such a faithful cult following and because its storylines often broke from the soap norm. I would love to see SB back on somewhere.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 12:48:58 AM »
Don Knotts played wheelchair bound Wilbur Peabody, whicgh was his only dramatic role I think.  His sister Rose Peabody took care of him as was played by three actresses in a relatively short time.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 01:31:17 AM »
i started watching soaps at age eight(my parents should have known right then and there i was part of the lavender set). ::)

my first love was "all my children".i'm remembering a willowy and fragile nina cortland,a young and spunky brooke english,a spoiled and snotty erica kane and of course pine valley's grand dame pheobe wallingford who was married to a character played by our own louis edmonds(langly i believe).

i can still hear the theme to "edge of night".it wasn't overtly supernatural but there was something dark about the show.i wish i got 'soap net' but i don't.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 02:40:57 AM »
I loved Santa Barbara. And interestingly many in the soap press used to liken the show to DS - though not because it was supernatural in nature (though they did throw in one or two supernatural twists from time to time), but because it had such a faithful cult following and because its storylines often broke from the soap norm. I would love to see SB back on somewhere.

Yeah, I wish I could remember some of the plot lines better.  I'll never forget when Cruz proposed to Eden by putting the engagement ring in the bottom of her champagne glass - that was so perfect.  And that wife of Mr. Capwell (Gina?) who was always causing mischief, that was great entertainment.  Mason was really memorable as well.

Who knows, maybe someday we'll see it on DVD, or else Soapnet will run it.  That would be fantastic.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 04:53:47 AM »
Don Knotts played wheelchair bound Wilbur Peabody, whicgh was his only dramatic role I think.  His sister Rose Peabody took care of him as was played by three actresses in a relatively short time.

Good memory, Joey-
Those actresses who played Rose were Oscar winner Lee Grant, character actress Nita Talbot (she was the Russian spy on "Hogan's Heroes") and Constance Ford (Ada on "Another World" and countless other TV shows & films). On my tape, Don Knotts (Wilbur) is slowly coming out of a coma. It's very "Dark Shadows-Dream Curse" like, as he's being beckoned to open a strange door in his dream.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 05:02:26 PM »
Ooh, Constance Ford!  I always regretted that she did not appear on Dark Shadows.

She's so deliciously baroque in the 1950s potboiler, The Summer Place--sort of a Donna Reed gone over to the Dark Side type of character.  Brilliant work.  I always wondered whether she knew Clarice, Grayson, Louis et al socially.

G.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 09:11:27 PM »
Ooh, Constance Ford!  I always regretted that she did not appear on Dark Shadows.

She's so deliciously baroque in the 1950s potboiler, The Summer Place--sort of a Donna Reed gone over to the Dark Side type of character.  Brilliant work.  I always wondered whether she knew Clarice, Grayson, Louis et al socially.

She's very twisted in The Summer Place which is one whacked movie when you deconstruct it. I knew her first from Another World. She was on that for years.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 11:26:01 PM »
It's a very honest movie for its time.  I saw it for the first time long after it was originally released and was astonished at the realistic treatment of the subject matter.  And yes, Constance Ford's performance was downright pathological.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 12:30:21 AM »
Regarding Lee Grant on "Search" the reason why she was replaced was as sinister as can be- she was blacklisted for denouncing McCarthy and his allies and couldn't work on TV or films (in L.A, anyway) for roughly a decade.  The first big role she got on TV in the 60s was playing the sultry Stella Chernak on Peyton Place- and she won the Emmy for it!   And yes, I must add my voice to those who just love Connie Ford as the bitchy Helen Jorgenson in A Suimmer Place- she should've gotten an Oscar nomination for it!!

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 07:07:36 AM »

Constance Ford would have made a great addition to DS. In 1965, she played demented heiress Eve Morris on "The Edge of Night" - and promptly stabbed her married lover with a pair of scissors, framing his young wife for the deed. She also played a frazzled woman with a split personality on an old Perry Mason episode, shamelessly ran off with her daughter's suitor in "Claudelle Inglish," gleefully watched her cruel uncle die before her eyes in "The Twilight Zone," helped Joan Crawford teach judo in "The Caretakers," and strip-searched pubescent Sandra Dee in "A Summer Place."

Here's an actress that deserved a plum role on "Dark Shadows" - perhaps as a nosey and menacing friend or relative of Julia Hoffman's....

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 05:34:14 PM »
Constance Ford's performance in The Summer Place holds up a mirror to America's neurotic demonization of sex.

It is a movie and a performance that still has relevance, if you read the headlines particularly on what some religious groups advocate in our schools, I am sorry to say.

And Sandor, the thought of Grayson and Constance Ford playing scenes together (especially if their characters were at odds) has me in a SWOON!

cheers, G.

David

Re: Old Soaps~~FYI
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006, 05:02:47 AM »
When in New York City or Los Angeles, visit the Museum of Broadcasting, AKA Museum of TV & Radio.
While color tapes for old soaps are long gone, the Museum has thousands of kinescopes available for viewing at any time.

David

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2006, 05:43:46 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Santa Barbara again.  I used to watch that back in the mid '80s. 

Actually Willie, IIRC, Santa Barbara has been on...?Soapnet?

I know I've seen commercials somewhere/time....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 11:03:50 PM »
And don't forget that Karlen was on two soaps, no less, back in the day. According to imdb he was on Another World in 1964 and Love is a Many Splendored Thing in 1967.

Maine Girl

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 11:28:40 PM »
joel crothers also was on S.B. and if i remember correctly, JOHN SEDWICK directed many if not all the episodes.