Author Topic: Coming soon: Another Dark Shadows book  (Read 526 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Coming soon: Another Dark Shadows book
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2022, 07:46:44 PM »
It's interesting to see that I'm not the only one upon reading the news of this book's upcoming release wondered what the selling point of it really is. As has been said, DS recollections are available not just here on the forum but all over the Internet at other DS sites, not to mention many of the upcoming book's writers have written their memories for numerous DS fanzines through the years  It's not like we don't already know their stories.

Now, don't get me wrong, reading other fans' stories can certainly be fun. And, of course, not every DS fan has already read all the recollections that have been posted on the Internet and written in fanzines. But so many in the aimed for audience have probably read most of them, so... But I wish the publishers well and hope that sales are at least large enough for them to break even.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2022, 10:44:40 PM »
I definitely agree with you on that, MB. To be honest, I don't see why the memories of "professional" writers (most of whom I've never heard of) are going to be another more interesting than anyone else's. I know that there's a certain section of DS fandom that will buy it no matter what. Some probably think that it will make KLS like them.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2022, 04:55:19 AM »
Actually, I'm kind of looking  forward to this book. If it were just a collection of random fans off the street I'd probably pass. But if it's writers whk are talking about their memories of  DS, I'm guessing (hoping) that they will be talking about how DS may have influenced their creative lives, and what things they may have learned from it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 05:14:35 AM »
I'm guessing (hoping) that they will be talking about how DS may have influenced their creative lives, and what things they may have learned from it.

Well, yes, something like that would put a different spin on it. But if it is, perhaps the book should have a different title...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 03:42:06 PM »
The book is now available on Amazon. The price is $8.99. Anyone planning on getting it?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 07:16:42 PM »
At least the price is right. Though of any possible excerpts from the book, the last one that could get me to buy it is KLS' forward. By now we could all quote her past writings in our sleep and the book's forward has little difference. Though I suppose the forward isn't intended for us, it's intended for people who may not be familiar with KLS' previous writings, and in that respect it certainly sets the perfect tone. And what little there is from the actual authors is pretty much what I expected, or should I say feared. Not that it isn't well written and enough to hold your interest. It definitely is. But while the individual details may be different, the overall theme is the same old, same old for those of us who've read such stories before. I hope for KMR's sake that perhaps at least one of the other authors writes about how DS may have influenced their creative lives. But there's none of that on view in what's excerpted...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 07:58:05 PM »
Just finished reading the preview on Amazon and I had about the same reaction as MB. The pieces are well written but not especially compelling. Pleasant enough reading but not enough to make me want to add this to my collection. I spotted a couple of bloopers that the editor really should have caught. Caroline, really? Well, at least there was no Barnabus.
I'm really not sure who this book is actually targeted at. Longterm fans have their own stories about discovering DS and have heard quite a few others from fellow fans. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think that this book is going to interest those outside the hard-core fan base.
Fade Away and Radiate