Author Topic: Coming soon: Another Dark Shadows book  (Read 524 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Coming soon: Another Dark Shadows book
« on: March 13, 2022, 05:41:24 PM »
Kathryn Leigh Scott announced via her Facebook page that a new Dark Shadows book is on its way in late April/early May. It's entitled Running Home To Shadows and will contain memories from different people about the series. While it sounds quite similar to other projects, these memories are supposed to be from professional writers. I've heard of a few of them, Ed Gross, Mark Rainey, Elizabeth Massie and Jeff Thompson but the rest are unknown to me.
The book will be published by Becky Books, rather than Pomegranate Press, although KLS will be writing the forward. The editors are Jim Beard (not the actor) and Charles Rutledge. No price as yet but it will be sold through Amazon.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Coming soon: Another Dark Shadows book
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 12:09:26 AM »
Hi Uncle Roger , thanks for sharing the book sounds wonderful.
Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 01:25:15 AM »
Well, Ms. Scott might not appreciate it, but I believe you can read many of the childhood reminiscences of “running home to watch ‘Dark Shadows’”right here on the Dark Shadows Forums.

Heck, at least one of the authors cited in Uncle Roger’s original thread here was a longtime poster/cousin on the DSF.

So, forgive me, Ms. Scott, but I think I’d rather scroll back on the DSF than shell out the $20.00 or so for DS memories.

Sincerely,

Bob, the Parsimonious Bartender  [snow_greedy] [snow_laugh]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 01:51:46 AM »
So true, Bob. There are only so many variations to the "I ran home from school to watch Dark Shadows" that all began to sound alike. Just for the record, I didn't have to run home from school. We got out at 2:30 and even by walking slowly I was home in plenty of time.
In recent years, I've become far more selective about what DS merchandise I'm going to buy. Maybe there'll be some unique or interesting photos. We'll see.
Unfortunately, Bob, I think that your $20 price tag is probably too low. The last few Pomegranate Press books were priced at $24.95, if memory serves me correctly. A small press operation like this seems to be might very well charge more.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 02:13:27 AM »
Uncle Roger,

In one of Marcy Robin’s issues from “Shadowgram,” and, I mean from over 15 years ago, Marcy quotes KLS as saying that she had practically exhausted all of her memories of DS and that would probably be that as far as any further DS books.

Evidently, the resourceful KLS must have consumed a lot of helpful memory foods, like salmon, blueberries, coffee, etc. and some Focus Factor pills, because she’s written/edited several more DS books over the past few years.

To be honest, after buying KLS’s DS Scrapbook Memory Book, her DS Almanac, and her DS Companion Book, I passed on buying her DS Movie Book, her Return to Collinwood Book, her Dark Passages Novel, etc. I did get many of those KLS books at my local public library.

I wonder if Gerard and Ringo Collins shelled out for those KLS books ?  [snow_huh] [snow_cheesy]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 02:26:08 AM »
I've purchased most of her books about the program, largely because of the extremely good Ben Martin photos that she had access to. The text, however, contains a lot of inaccuracies that, as Midnite pointed out in the Marlon Brando post, she has never bothered to correct. She definitely needs to hire an editor.
I've not purchased any of her other publications, like the ones about lobby cards or any of.her novels. I did, however, buy The Bunny Years. Partially because someone on Amazon was selling it dirt cheap but mainly because I wanted to read what Deborah Harry had to say about the experience.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 02:54:37 AM »
Although, I didn’t buy “Dark Passages,” I got it in the library and found it to be an enjoyable read, a roman a clef, where you had to figure out how close the fictional characters in the novel were accurate portrayals of KLS’s fellow DS actors.

In her Playboy Bunny book, didn’t KLS take issue with Gloria Steinem’s negative recollections of being a Playboy Bunny herself?

KLS also has a few novels about a middle-aged actress, who gets involved in murder mysteries, sort of like Angela Lansbury in “Murder, She Wrote.” I havan’t read any of those books.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 03:09:35 AM »
KLS did take issue with Steinem who apparently took the Bunny job in order to write a tell all about the Club and what seemed to be a sexist environment. Steinem was a bit older than the other girls and it was felt that she only befriended the other Bunnies as fodder for her article.
From what I understand, the two have crossed paths on occasion over the years. Steinem still seems to regard Playboy as an example of male chauvinism. KLS seems to regard it as the launching pad for a successful career. And they may both be correct.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 03:34:26 AM »
I guess that Gloria Steinem and KLS are also slightly antipodal in their political beliefs and philosophies.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 04:06:58 AM »
You said a mouthful!!!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 07:36:54 AM »
Nothing to add, but enjoying your conversation!!
Josette

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »
I’m only sorry that Anita Bolster (the bodacious Bathia Mapes, featured in today’s DS photos) was NOT one of KLS’s fellow bunnies at the Playboy Club in Manhattan.  [snow_happy] [snow_silly]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »
The Bunny Years does contain a 1963 photo of Nancy Walker in a Bunny outfit from an appearance on The Garry Moore Show. The future Ida Morganstern appeared in a sketch with Garry and the great Durward Kirby.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 03:33:49 PM »
You know, it would have been great to have seen Nancy Walker as Mrs. Johnson’s sister on DS.

Can you imagine the fireworks if Mrs. Johnson had to listen to her sister constantly lecture her about the many advantages of using Bounty towels, the “quicker-picker-upper,” in the kitchen in the great house of Collinwood?  [snowball-fight]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
Or perhaps cautioning Carolyn about providing the milk for free? [snow_wink] [snow_wink] [snow_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate