Author Topic: Captures from Episode 193  (Read 655 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Captures from Episode 193
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:44:44 AM »
I'm glad to see this - particularly Portia Fitzsimmons.  When I finally got a chance to see this part the last time SciFi ran it, somehow I missed this episode.  So, it's nice to finally see her!  :)
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Captures from Episode 193
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 04:16:24 PM »
Lovelady Powell totally rocks the house, as far as I am concerned.  I really wish Portia had become a recurring character on the series.

G.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 07:20:56 PM »
Lovelady "Lovey" Powell appeared in films, television and nightclub acts for years.  She was in "I never Sang for my Father" with Daniel Keyes and Conrad Bain in 1970.  She was a friend of Hal Holbrook and his first wife when Hal was developing "Mark Twain Tonight!" in New York in the fifties. Holbrook was performing at the same nightclub Powell was, she may have even been managing the show, I can't remember, but this information would be in a copy of the book on Hal Holbrook's "Mark Twain Tonight!"  Powell appeared briefly on The Danny Kaye Show in the early sixties, was a part of David Frost's "That Was The Week That Was" show, and recorded comedy routines with Shelly Berman on his 1964 "The Sex Life of the Primate."  That album also featured Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara.  Oh, and if you don't think the entertainment buisness is about networking, get a load of this:  Years later, Stiller would appear on Seinfeld, which was often written and/or produced by Larry David.  Guess who has played Larry David's dad on his HBO show?  Shelly Berman. ;)

"Lovey" Powell was a fixture in the Greenwich Village scene for many years, appearing in revues and musicals such as "Riverwind" (1962-4) throughout the sixties. She was a Chanteuse who recorded an album called "LOVELADY - UPSTAIRS AT THE DUPLEX WITH LOVEY POWELL AND BROOKS MORTON."  This is a very rare album, probably from the early 60s.  She was also a comedienne. Apparently, she still lives in New York state. She appeared in that "classic" film of the mid-seventies, "The Happy Hooker." ::)

Here's what Lovelady looks like in recent years.  Go to the bottom of the page. And, yes, it is her!

http://www.herstorywriters.org/about4.html  This is a women's writing group that she is a part of, or was as of the early 2000s.,

From what I can tell, she was probably born sometime around 1930 or thereabouts, making her about my mother's age.

Petofi

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »
That is fascinating, Petofi! Thanks for sharing.

More on the "networking front":  I'm intrigued by the fact that Jerry Stiller appeared in Grayson Hall's very first film, the now apparently irrecovably lost "Run across the river," filmed in the Summer of 1957.

Best wishes,

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 11:58:36 PM »
The capture in question:

Ep #193 - Portia Fitzsimmons wants to do a showing at her gallery
of Sam's paintings dating from 10-12 years ago.