Author Topic: Gold Key Comics  (Read 1312 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Gold Key Comics
« on: March 21, 2006, 04:58:26 AM »
Does anyone know if there's any possibility that the Gold Key comics will be reproduced in book form like the book that PP did for the newspaper strips?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Key Comics
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »
Does anyone know if there's any possibility that the Gold Key comics will be reproduced in book form like the book that PP did for the newspaper strips?

Heck, PP might do it if they think there's a market for them.  Ask KLS at the Fest this summer.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 07:55:40 PM »
The only time I ever saw Gold Key do a collection of their stories was for "Star Trek." Maybe I've been out of the comic collector's world too long, but I don't remember collections of sat Gold Key titles like "Turak, Son of Stone" or "Magnus, Robot Fighter."  I could be wrong tho.  Since Marvel and DC are essentially make books of "in-house" titles they wholly own, like Batman or Spider-Man, its easier for them. I would also consider if the rights to reprint on a leased title is still available or of they would have to renew with DCP, probably through Jim Pierson.  [deal2] I think while the DS comic prices, like all Gold Key TV and movie titles seem to increase each year, a large part of why people collect them is the covers, not the stories. While the stories are in some ways a little closer to the series than the "Marilyn Ross" paperbacks, they are often far flung. I never liked the way Quentin's werewolf looked, almost like a really pissed off Huckleberry Hound rather than like Alex Stevens, and the fact Barnabas's fangs protrude far too often.  [book1] The issues with the posters intact are rare and commonly run over $100.00 these days. The early issues with the photo covers, often great shots of Barnabas generally run between say $40 and $100 each now.  [read3]

*** One interesting piece of trivia, Gold Key as generally a family title, didn't submit their comics to the Comics Code, which at the time Dark Shadows comics began publishing, forbid the use of vampires and zombies, so DC, Marvel or Charlton could not have done them. The code was finally changed in the early '70s. The code had been established to punish the great but lurid stories of the legendary EC line, like the then notorious "Tales from the Crypt" and "The Vault of Horror."

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:21:58 PM »
I've just published an article on my site, detailing the history of the comics - check it out at http://www.collinwood.net
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:45:37 PM »
Michael,

I have to tell you, I *LOVE* the 'deal' graphic! [deal2]  It is TOO funny!  ;)
[laughing4] [stfl]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:42:03 PM »
Thanks Buzz, [wavey]

Very good article Stuart, I found out recently Arnold Drake is still around. I believe he worked on the actually funny very Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope comics at DC. When was that story written? It answered so many questions I have had on the Gold Key comics. I was always quite happy, slightly fascinated and rather curious the series ran over 3 years after DS was off the air.

Michael 
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 10:04:15 PM »
I found out recently Arnold Drake is still around.

You might recall that last year Drake received the Bill Finger Award for Excellence in Comic Book Writing:

SIEGEL, DRAKE TO RECEIVE FIRST BILL FINGER AWARD

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
I have all of the Gold Key comics archived in CBR format, on CD.  All 35 issues and the Digest story "The Interrupted Voyage" fit on two discs. I've seen the comics on bit torrent sites, fairly often, which is where I got them.  I archived the digest myself. Any one who wants help locating these files can email me. 

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:05:34 AM »
Having finally recovered from a bout of pneumonia lasting almost 6 weeks, I'm finally slogging through pages of the forum to play catch up!
On this topic, I've collected 7 of the 1960's Gold Key DS comics so far, as well as a few of the 1991 versions. The 1991 versions run around $4-6 ea. and the 1960's versions average about $25/ea. though the #1 edition is about double that. I get most of them on the NewKadia website, and they do weekly reductions on the comics--sometimes you can wait them out and get a pretty good price.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 08:04:56 AM »
rw.... yikes, glad to see you back!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor