Author Topic: No Pictures  (Read 601 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
No Pictures
« on: September 03, 2021, 07:36:43 AM »
I thought I'd move this to the appropriate section.  I looked at the "Attachments and other options" and there is a box saying "Don't use smileys," which I assume is what you're referring to.  It is NOT checked.

And, that presumably would only affect the smileys.  I don't see any pictures posted, which was why I mentioned it in the other thread, since you had posted the picture from the Barnaby Jones show.

Back when you were doing the Westminster Dog Show at Lyndhurst, there was a link to click for a larger version, and those links worked.  Otherwise, there was just a big blank square in the thread.

Meanwhile, even the choice of smileys, such as above this box, instead of actual smileys, I have a list of words.  I tried copying it, but it can't be selected.  It starts out saying: 
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes, etc.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: No Pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 09:59:00 PM »
All of that is very bizarre, Josette - but so what else is new around here. I might understand if it was happening to everyone. And I might have some idea how to track down the problem. But when it's one (or maybe a few if anyone else pops up with the same problem) it's hard to figure things out, especially when it's not happening to me, so I have nothing to work with...

As for thinking the "Don't use smileys" might solve the whole problem, I've learned that around here almost anything can cause almost anything else whether it seems logical or not. In fact, more often than not there's no logic to it.  [ghost_rolleyes]  But sadly that turned out not to be the problem or the solution...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 04:59:57 AM »
I had recently thought that maybe it had to do with the browser, so before mentioning it the other night, I tried the others - but, as I said, it was the same.  In some of them there was that tiny icon of a picture in the corner, indicating there was a picture there that wasn't showing up.  I normally use Firefox for DS, but I tried Chrome and Edge the other night.

I've wondered whether to include smileys when I wanted them, assuming that they would be seen by others.  It also seemed weird that those links to the larger picture in that one thread worked, but not the original.

P.S. It was weird when after posting this, I noticed that it was listed as "yesterday."  That seemed crazy when I had just posted it!  It turned out that it was posted 3 seconds before midnight and I was looking at it almost 1 minute after midnight!!!!
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 07:52:45 AM »
It just occurred to me to mention that the pictures on the main pages where you have the quotes, all of those show up - it's just items within the threads that don't work.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 07:26:40 AM »
I finally had a chance to go to the library and tried the computer there.  I logged in just in case it had something to do with my account.  Pictures and smileys show up just fine, so apparently it's just my computer.  But, until this started a few months ago, I never had any problems and I haven't made any changes to my system.  And, all other pictures show up - just the ones in the threads here don't work.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 03:46:21 PM »
It's just such a strange situation, Josette...

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 06:37:17 AM »
Once again, now with the pictures of Seaview, when you provide the link to the larger version, those work.  So, the initial page has white lines outlining a box which is completely blank, but when I click the link, then the full picture comes up.  (Fortunately, a lot of the other things I don't care that much about if I miss them, but I WAS interested in seeing this!!).

So, I don't know if the fact that that works and the other doesn't will give you a clue.  It doesn't happen on any other site.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 04:11:51 AM »
PICTURES!!! - IT'S FIXED!!!

I had to take the computer for servicing the last couple of days, so I mentioned about this picture problem.  They hadn't figured it out when I picked it up, but they let me in the back to show exactly where the problem was and his employee finally figured it out.  It has something to do with the security on the site - it says the site is not secure and particularly mentions images.  He made an exception for this site and all of the pictures and emojis are back!!!   [ghost_smiley] [ghost_smiley] [ghost_smiley]
Josette

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 07:53:32 AM »
That's great!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 05:25:25 AM »
For some time it's only been necessary to click on the word "login" and not actually put the info in.  I think that's been the standard for the forum for a while.  I've noticed the last few days since the fix that brought back my pictures that I no longer have to click "login" - it's just automatically logged in when I bring it up!!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 02:36:03 PM »
Very interesting Josette because nothing has changed for me when I come to the site  - I still have to click on some sort of link, any link, to be logged in. I wonder if simply adding the exception changed things for you?

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2022, 08:18:28 AM »
Well, obviously I would have no idea, but it's interesting that it always comes up now!
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 07:17:30 AM »
A couple of days ago I cleared cache and cookies and on a lot of sites I've had to login or do some extra steps than usual.  Yesterday I had to login here.  But, now that I did it, it's back to the way it has been, with it coming up automatically and no need to click anything!
Josette