Author Topic: At The Newstand: The Darkside  (Read 201 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
At The Newstand: The Darkside
« on: August 28, 2021, 11:22:31 PM »
The current issue of The Darkside, #219, has a cover feature on Dark Shadows. An artist's rendition of Lara Parker and Jonathan Frid graces the cover. The article is written by DS uber fan Rod Labbe, who I believe used to post here in the forum's early days. The first part of the fairly lengthy article is basically a history of the show. It's well written enough but nothing that we haven't heard before. The article has a lot of photos but, once again, these are all pretty common pictures.
The article does come alive when Labbe discusses talking his parents into taking him to see Marie Wallace in a play in New Hampshire. He and his sister made it backstage and met Marie after the performance. And, no surprise, Marie was exceptionally gracious.
There's also an account of his tenure as the president of a fan club for Dennis Patrick. And, for me, the highlight was a visit to DS studio in Manhattan in 1970.
To summarize, it's a decent read. But the $10.50 price tag struck me as a bit much.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: At The Newstand: The Darkside
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 06:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Uncle Roger.  [easter_smiley]  I'll definitely check things out the next time I go to the book store...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: At The Newstand: The Darkside
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:40:11 PM »
To summarize, it's a decent read. But the $10.50 price tag struck me as a bit much.

I'm not sure how it compares to other magazines in terms of price and page numbers, but it is an import. My copy only has the price in pounds. It may be more expensive because it's being shipped over from England.