Author Topic: David Selby "The Super Cops"  (Read 867 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
David Selby "The Super Cops"
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:34:50 PM »
I was reading the obituary of photographer/film director Gordon Parks, probably best known for his work to Life Magazine as well as directing "Shaft" (Right on...  [headbang]) Mentioned among his credits as 1974's "The Super Cops."  [police] [police] I think I saw this film on TV once over 20-25 years ago. It appears to be unavailable in DVD, Amazon lists a Canadian issue as oop. The VHS is listed, but I don't think its really available, something like a $39.95 list sounds the alarm that it was released for rental outlets but not as a sell through. Anyone know why this film is so hard to find? I remember it as a pretty good gritty police drama, with lots of internal corruption inspired in the wake of "Serpico." I remember Selby being quite good in a role that let him stretch those long legs and as a nice counterpart to the wired Ron Liebman. Joe Sirola who was also in "Seizure" was in this. Sadly, Parks passing may have MGM rethink and add this to their catalog.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: David Selby "The Super Cops"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 10:15:12 PM »
MVD (Music Video Distributors) announced Super Cops as a forthcoming DVD title within the past few years, but it never showed up via any legitimate outlets, and they have since removed it from their product list. There are DVD copies of the film floating around on places like eBay, and a friend who bought one of these insists it's not a bootleg, but I have my doubts, especially since he says the picture quality is not good. He described a static line running across the screen, which, to me, sounded like a tracking issue with a VHS to DVD transfer.

Super Cops shows up from time to time on Turner South -- because it's part of the MGM library, not because it has squat to do with the South except maybe to confirm the stereotype of NYC as a den of iniquity.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:28:40 PM »
except maybe to confirm the stereotype of NYC as a den of iniquity.  ;D

You mean it ISN'T??!!   >:D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 11:10:45 PM »
You are quite correct MsCriseyde...

Supercops has never been released on video, LD or DVD and is currently owned by Turner. Any video releases you find out there are bootlegs.

Best bet on this one is a TCM, TBS or Turner South broadcast...Though I'd love to see a DVD of it.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 08:49:37 AM »
As long as we're on the subject of this film, I occasionally get emails to my web site about it. One person wanted to know whether Gordon Parks was responsible for taking the publicity stills himself. (I haven't the slightest clue, but I doubt it.) Usually, though, the questions are about what happened to the real-life cops upon which the film is based.

Robert Hantz, portrayed in the film by David Selby, was charged with possessing marijuana cigarettes while on vacation, I believe outside the country, and subsequently resigned his position with the NYPD in 1975. Greenberg and Hantz always maintained that they were the subject of various threats and conspiracies because of jealousy within the NYPD over their success and unorthodox methods and, obviously, because their conviction rate made them unpopular with some segments of the community.

David Greenberg, portrayed by Ron Leibman, went on to serve in the NY State Assembly. He was convicted in 1990 on federal conspiracy and fraud charges because of inflating loss claims following burglaries and a fire at a video distribution company he owned and sentenced to serve four years in prison. At the time, he intended to appeal the conviction, but I don't know what became of the appeal.

The real Greenberg and Hantz had cameos in the film and were involved in MGM's press events when the film was released. There are some stills, grabs, and additional stuff related to the film on my site.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)