Author Topic: ‘My Grandparents’ War’: Helena Bonham Carter and More Stars on Their WWII Family Histories  (Read 230 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
WHAT TO WATCH TONIGHT
April 4, 2021
NCAA Women's Basketball Championship, SAG Awards,
The Walking Dead Finale and More

08:00PM
PBS
My Grandparents' War
Series premiere: Hollywood actors re-trace the footsteps of their grandparents and learn how World War II changed the lives of their families and the world; first-up: The Crown‘s Helena Bonham Carter.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Worth Watching: Helena Bonham Carter’s ‘Grandparents’ War,’ ...

My Grandparents’ War
SERIES PREMIERE

The emotional appeal of Finding Your Roots is enhanced with vivid recollections of World War II in a terrific four-part series where celebrated British actors learn how their ancestors helped changed history during wartime. First up: The Crown’s Helena Bonham Carter, whose lineage includes paternal grandmother and liberal firebrand Lady Violet Bonham Carter, daughter of a former prime minister. Reading letters and studying photos of the time, Helena is moved to learn how Lady Violet volunteered as an air-raid warden during the Blitz and advocated for refugees. Her maternal grandfather, Eduardo Propper de Callejón, was a Spanish diplomat based in Paris, defying orders while securing visas for Jewish citizens. When Helena meets a woman whose family was saved by his efforts, history comes alive. Future subjects include Oscar winner Mark Rylance, Kristin Scott Thomas and current nominee Carey Mulligan.