Author Topic: As the Suncoast set, an opportunity for DS DVD collectors...  (Read 1817 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
As the Suncoast set, an opportunity for DS DVD collectors...
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:23:18 PM »
The Suncoast Video store chain is in the process of closing many of its stores or going out of business entirely, I'm not sure which. The store near where i work is now selling its stock at 30% off. This goes many of us an opportunity to get a nice discount on the MPI Dark Shadows DVD sets. Its also a good idea to review their used DVD sction. The store where I went to had 3 DS DVD sets used at a great price, unfortunately, I had all of these sets. Suncoast was a big outlet in the VHS days, for the MPI videos and has lost ground with the rise of the Best Buys, Circuit Cities, Wal-Marts as well as the amazon.coms.  I finally got the wonderful "Wizard of Oz" [Witch_Potion_Animated]  3 DVD box which was of great comfort to me last week when I was home from work 2 days with a pretty bad cold. Since the DS sets list at $59.95, the sets left there would run about $41.98. Seelection is limited tho. That equals or beats most places I know to pick up the DVDs.
    By the way, does anyone know why MPI has never discounted any DVD sets at the DS Festivals?  ::) I know they are really cheap on the VHS now, but even when I first went to DS Festivals in the late '90s, they always had a convention discount and they have never done this on the DVDs at any show since they released them.

Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: As the Suncoast set, an opportunity for DS DVD collectors...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:59:22 PM »
I have a Suncoast closing near me. It's a shame I'm not in need of any DS dvds.... A Media Play also closed down here and they were having decent discounts too.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 10:41:57 PM »
By the way, does anyone know why MPI has never discounted any DVD sets at the DS Festivals?  ::) I know they are really cheap on the VHS now, but even when I first went to DS Festivals in the late '90s, they always had a convention discount and they have never done this on the DVDs at any show since they released them.

I believe either last year in Hollywood or the year before in Tarrytown, they had a very good sale.  Buy 2(or was it 3?) and get one free.  Hopefully they'll do that again this year!
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:15:42 AM »
I buy most of my Dark Shadows DVD sets on Ebay.  They're usually around $41 - $42 new, plus $5 shipping.  Just make sure the seller has feedback up around 98 - 99% positive and hundreds if not tens-of-thousands of transactions.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 07:20:25 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear that Suncoast is possibly going completely out of business. That was the store where I bought all my MPI tapes from both the original and the '91 series. Suncoast used to have a DS Video Club that oferred really nice discounts. And they even provided their own exclusive DS video catalogues and flyers. Here's a scan of the front cover from a 1993 catalogue:

and here's a scan of the first two pages inside:

Although, I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised that Suncoast hasn't been able to survive the competition from other video/DVD stores and Web sites because the last time I even stepped into one of their stores was probably at least 5 years ago. I can find a lot better deals on DVDs online - and I'm sure that's been the same for a lot of their former customers. But still, the situation they now find themselves in is a shame - particularly because the chain had been such a good friend to DS fans back when it wasn't easy to find stores that were willing to stock even a handful of the MPI tapes, much less the entire series - and they were even willing to do it all at a discount...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 07:44:54 AM »
I buy most of my Dark Shadows DVD sets on Ebay.  They're usually around $41 - $42 new, plus $5 shipping.

If you're willing to wait to order until after each set's release date, you can usually pick up the DS DVDs at DeepDiscountDVD for $39.59. That price usually lasts for several months and then goes up to $43.22, which, oddly enough, is also the pre-order price (so much for presuming the best prices only come if you pre-order  :- ). And best of all, the site offers free shipping. And if you're willing to wait even longer, you can get even better deals when they have a site-wide sale, which they seem to do about every 6 months. For example, back in November I was able to pick up set 20 for a friend for Christmas for only $31.67 - and I got free shipping to boot.  ;)

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 03:14:01 PM »
Thanks so much for the tip on Deep Discount.  I'll definitely be checking them out.  I'm about 7 or 8 sets away from being caught up to the newest release, so those storewide sales would be really great for me! 

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 01:48:20 AM »
I pre-order my DVDs from Amazon for 41.99 with free shipping! What a Deal
And if you link to Amazon thru MsCriseyde's site you help to keep her wonderful  David Selby site going!

LdyAnne ;)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 03:32:26 PM »
I pre-order my DVDs from Amazon for 41.99 with free shipping! What a Deal!

Me too, it's practically WHOLESALE!!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 01:39:33 AM »
The Suncoast Video store chain is in the process of closing many of its stores or going out of business entirely, I'm not sure which.

I think maybe they're just closing some stores.  Having reading this thread, I stopped in at Suncoast yesterday -  hoping to find some DS on sale.  (I just LOVE the mall)  ::)   Nope.  They had a few volumes at full price.  Didn't see any signs of going out of business - no big discounts, no clearance stuff.  Zilch.

Couldn't even spend a little time browsing though, 'cause for some strange reason, my daughter hates being in there - claims the guys that work there give her "the creeps".   HUH??  [nut]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 06:10:47 AM »
I think maybe they're just closing some stores.  Having reading this thread, I stopped in at Suncoast yesterday -  hoping to find some DS on sale.  (I just LOVE the mall)  ::)   Nope.  They had a few volumes at full price.  Didn't see any signs of going out of business - no big discounts, no clearance stuff.  Zilch.

Couldn't even spend a little time browsing though, 'cause for some strange reason, my daughter hates being in there - claims the guys that work there give her "the creeps".   HUH??
I think that must be it, a major scale back. I went to another Suncoast as well today and found virtually no sale items. No used DS either, lol. Oh well. As for what your daughter says, I think Suncoast is a bit too aggressive on the "Can I help yous." They pounce like tigers the moment you enter. It can be unnerving. It makes the art of browsing less enjoyable.
Michael

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 01:35:17 PM »
One Suncoast by me is staying open.

Cyrus - I know what you mean about the help! Media Play was worse than Suncoast though, at least in my area. I could count the seconds someone would be on top of me as soon as I stepped through the entrance. It wasn't just "can I help you", they constantly pushed their rewards card. It started driving me crazy because I couldn't browse in peace.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 04:05:29 PM »
Cyrus - I know what you mean about the help! Media Play was worse than Suncoast though, at least in my area. I could count the seconds someone would be on top of me as soon as I stepped through the entrance. It wasn't just "can I help you", they constantly pushed their rewards card. It started driving me crazy because I couldn't browse in peace.

I won't shop in stores that hound me incessantly like that!   >:(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 11:35:18 PM »
Just a little FYI to let everyone know I went to a Suncoast today.  They've increased their discount to 40% off and there was a sign in the window saying they close in 6 days.  I bought volume 21 for $38.something.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »
Saturday (3/11) was the last day they were open here. I did pick up DS set # 6 for about $38. Thanks CrazyJenny