Author Topic: DS  Cast Heirarchy seen thru clothes?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
DS  Cast Heirarchy seen thru clothes?
« on: April 18, 2002, 05:51:36 AM »
It has occured to me recently watching Naomi's ever increasing wardrobe that Joan Bennett did have the nicest (and the most) clothes on DS.  Natalie had a total of 2 dresses + the tafetta houseocat?  Josette had, what 2 dresses + a robe.  Angelique 1+ her maid outfit (which was taken out of stock wardrobe i'm sure)?? The guys seem to have 1 outfit with some accessories. . .Is this where the DS cast heirarchy can been seen?  :-/
Julia99

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS  Cast Heirarchy seen thru clothes?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 07:44:15 AM »
It has occured to me recently watching Naomi's ever increasing wardrobe that Joan Bennett did have the nicest (and the most) clothes on DS.  Natalie had a total of 2 dresses + the tafetta houseocat?  Josette had, what 2 dresses + a robe.  Angelique 1+ her maid outfit (which was taken out of stock wardrobe i'm sure)?? The guys seem to have 1 outfit with some accessories. . .Is this where the DS cast heirarchy can been seen?  :-/

I dunno.  I wonder how much of this was contractual.  That would explain why Bennett always won out, even after she wasn't a central player on the show.

Nancy Barrett did rather well in the 1795 sweepstakes.  

Cassandra had her day-glo rainbow of outfits in 1968, while characters like Nicholas and Eve who had one outfit each.  

Go figure.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 12:17:02 PM »
Eve's black dress!

(shudder!)

I expected it to walk away by itself one day.  I sure hope they dry-cleaned it once in a while.  She never wore anything else--and wasn't that an interesting choice for the gal who was supposed to seduce and produce offstring with Adam?

Love, Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2002, 10:21:16 PM »
Eve's black dress!

(shudder!)

I expected it to walk away by itself one day.  I sure hope they dry-cleaned it once in a while.  She never wore anything else--and wasn't that an interesting choice for the gal who was supposed to seduce and produce offstring with Adam?

Love, Robin

Well, if anything, Robin, it proved Eve was frugal, not into spending alotta moola on the duds.  Maybe she thought Adam was into that (penny pinching), seeing as he never once changed that turtle-neck.  

Gerard

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2002, 05:58:13 AM »
So! This thread AIN"T about 'see-thru' clothes!

Drat! :-[
[gotta get my glasses changed!]

--

buzzword for the tour: potatopants [jester]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2002, 06:55:10 AM »
So! This thread AIN"T about 'see-thru' clothes!

Drat! :-[[gotta get my glasses changed!]

Hee hee, I wondered what you were talking about.  Ringo, you were SO missed ... Welcome back!

Were you in L.A.?

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2002, 03:00:02 AM »
I don't know much about tv show production, but it does seem like you make a valid point. Maggie's lack of nice clothing seems appropriate for her character, but you can't explain Josette's in the same way. I know some stars get to keep their wardrobe, and that may have been a perk for Bennett. Maybe if she got to take them home that would explain the quicker turn over.

It has been nice getting to see Julia in some nicer clothes!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2002, 03:07:03 AM »
I know some stars get to keep their wardrobe, and that may have been a perk for Bennett. Maybe if she got to take them home that would explain the quicker turn over.

Given that the clothes came from Ohrbach's, I'm inclined to doubt that Joan was taking her wardrobe home.  

Then too, they did so many period storylines, and Bennett consistently got a majority of costume changes.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2002, 03:35:41 AM »
Laura Collins (both in 1966/7 & 1895) had more than a couple of outfits; some chi chi suits in 67.

Amy's clothes....whoosh...too young for her, but I don't know what would have been 'cool' for a 10 yr old in '69.

David always had atrocious clothes...and...to sound sexist, I blame CAROLYN!!

She was like a big sister, and had good taste, hello Kitten, dress that young man right.

I think some of the clothing choices may have been in part due to black/white or color; take Roger, some nice jackets, but washed out colors. Maybe the wardrober never knew, from day to day, so he/she played it safe. Good textures for Roger's duds (in all Louis characters), so I'm inclined to wonder how much say Louis had in HIS daily wear.

Patti
What a Woman!

Thom

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2002, 06:20:52 AM »
Later in the series after the show came back from 1897 Kathryn Leigh Scott got a credit that read Ms. Scott's clothes by Junior Sophisticates! Maggie had some great outfits, a lot of mini-skirts, vests, etc.

When DS goes to Parallel Time 1970 the outfits are best in the entire runof the series. Carolyn has a great pant suit/bell bottom outfit - lots of silks and scarves are worn. Quentin has great suits,very mod. Angelique/Alexis has some great dresses as well.

Pity poor Lara Parker coming up for her tenure as Vampiress Angelique and the horrible filmy green gown she had to wear! You guys talked about Eve's nightgown - well Angie in green gets really old quickly. The show could have used her green eyed blonde beauty and put her in a basic black. It would have been a knockout. Also funny: When Adam takes Eve to meet Carolyna t Collinwood - she is wearing her NIGHTGOWN!! Too funny.