Author Topic: Eva Green's The Luminaries Premieres in US  (Read 345 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Eva Green's The Luminaries Premieres in US
« on: February 14, 2021, 08:00:59 PM »
WHAT TO WATCH TONIGHT
February 14, 2021
American Idol Returns, Men in Kilts Premiere, Your Honor
Finale, NASCAR's Daytona 500 and More

09:30PM
Starz
The Luminaries
Stateside premiere: A 19th century adventurer (The Knick‘s Eve Hewson) finds a new beau (EastEnders‘ Himesh Patel) and triggers an unexplainable magic.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Eva Green's The Luminaries Premieres in US
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 08:26:50 PM »
Sun, Feb 14 9:30 PM STARZ
The Luminaries
S01  E01 * Fingerprint
1865, Anna and Emery meet on their voyage to New Zealand but their plans to reunite are impeded.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 08:32:42 PM »
Worth Watching

Also new to Starz: The Luminaries (Sunday, 9:30/8:30c), a six-part limited series based on Eleanor Catton’s prize-winning novel. Set in 1860s New Zealand amid a gold rush on the nation’s South Island, the sprawling and fanciful story begins when adventurous young Anna Wetherell (Eve Hewson) disembarks from her ocean voyage all the way from Great Britain to seek her fortune. Her chance meeting with fellow traveler Emery Staines (Himesh Patel) begins a tumultuous relationship that will test their resilience in this different take on a Wild West. Veteran scene stealer Eva Green (Penny Dreadful) adds a touch of mystery as the enigmatic Lydia Wells.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »
Eleanor Catton adapts her Man Booker Prize-winning novel about love, murder and gold-digging in 19th-century New Zealand as a six-part Starz miniseries.

"It's always a joy watching Green play this sort of master manipulator; few actors convey being several steps ahead of everybody else on-screen as vividly. Plus, she gets to perform a seance that plays like an homage to her role in Penny Dreadful, a harrowing turn that should have won her at least one Emmy. And she brings out some depth in Csokas, prone to hammy villains but occasionally sympathetic here."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 10:01:55 PM »
That sounds good.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 10:11:21 PM »
Or maybe not. Another quote from the Hollywood Reporter article:

Readers of Catton's 800+-page epic may barely recognize the book from that description, but rest assured that the murder mystery that becomes an obsession for 12 male residents of a mining town, each aligned with a sign of the zodiac, hasn't been lost entirely. It's just been pushed deep into the series — the fifth episode in particular — by which time very few of the men in that council have been clearly identified beyond perhaps their jobs and their facial hair. The zodiac connection, meanwhile, is unconvincingly laid out only in voiceover. If I'm giving the opening scene credit as a meta-commentary on a certain kind of contemporary television tendency, I'd point to this as a commentary on adapting prestige literary works for a different medium — an awareness that what works on the page can sometimes play as fundamentally silly or hollow on-screen, yet you have to keep it for fans of the original.

There are further discussions of the typical meta-narrative crap ticks and tricks the people who worked on this play that made me increasingly disinterested in current TV, having walked away from all of it after the sabotaging of Penny Dreadful's narrative--the last "current" series I watched (but abandoned after season 2)--a young friend told me similar things recently about her own experience with the Game of Thrones debacle, having invested years and lots of emotions in characters and situations that squashed against the big flat wall of the final 2 seasons like an overripe tomato.

Still, nice photo in the article. And I'm glad Eva is getting away from the malign influence of Tim Burton.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 01:37:45 AM »
WHAT TO WATCH TONIGHT
March 28, 2021
Zoey's Playlist, Rookie Return, City on a Hill Season 2 and
More

09:30PM
Starz
The Luminaries
Season 1 finale: New evidence exposes a link between Lauderback and Crosbie Wells; Anna is tried for murder.