Author Topic: The Importance of Good Grooming -- Episodes 117 & 118  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Importance of Good Grooming -- Episodes 117 & 118
« on: February 23, 2006, 09:47:20 PM »
One lonely little fashion note . . .

Carolyn is sporting a dress with a modified scoop neck. There's a bow in the center of the collar with ribbons that go all the way down the front of the dress.

Lela Swift and Ron Sproat brought us both of these episodes.

Same day or rather night. It's late and there's still no word about Vicki. Mrs. Johnson continues to theorize that Carolyn drove her into Bangor. Elizabeth is prescient enough to comment that Vicki seems to "court disaster." Truer words were never spoken. Vicki really is a disaster magnet. She (Elizabeth, that is) worries that Matthew may be involved. Also there's the whole thing about Carolyn asking Sarah Johnson to press her dress, because hey, if Carolyn were just going to give Vicki a ride to Bangor, presumably wrinkles would be okay. I think this is the 1960s equivalent of not wearing your lipstick to the supermarket at 3AM because it's not like you're going to run into anyone worth impressing. I have always found this philosophy to be somewhat specious because I have run into people worth impressing at 3AM and there I am looking haggard and wan.

Joe drops by which puts Elizabeth into more of a state. For some reason she seems to have forgotten that her daughter's been running after Burke like he was the last man on the planet. Joe is really in an unenviable position. He has to tell Liz that he's not really seeing Carolyn anymore, which he does, but he's still stuck having to help out Liz. It makes some sense because Elizabeth is his employer and also because Joe is a Nice Young Man and Nice Young Men help out when they can.

Carolyn is keeping company with Burke on his sofa in the hotel suite, which is now inexplicably being referred to as his "apartment"-- since Ron Sproat is writing this episode there's no excuse. Burke is putting on the charm, but Carolyn is an easy sell. It turns out she didn't tell anyone about her date--another reason you know this is the comparatively innocent sixties. I don't know about you, but I used to let my roommate know where I was going just in case my date turned out to be a serial killer so she could give the police some kind of a lead. Burke pumps her about Liz's finances subtly.

He's about as subtle as a sledgehammer on stained glass when he asks her about Vicki. Little Miss Stoddard in her pressed dress takes great pains to let him know that Vicki and Frank are now an item. Honey, if he's mentioning another woman's name while he's making out with you in a near-horizontal position, it is so not a good sign. I'm not sure if Burke is conscious that he's that gone on Vicki or if it's just general male cluelessness that makes him blurt these things out.

Let's see what else; she confirms that Vicki is older than she is. She's also drinking something other than brandy and there is some relatively racy (for DS) making out.

Meanwhile Old Faithful is helping out the ladies of Collinwood with the Vicki problem. He makes phone calls. He makes suppositions. They mention Carolyn. Liz doesn't like his suggestion as to where Carolyn might be. He really doesn't want to go and confirm his suspicion, says as much, but ends up doing it anyway.

Woohoo! Burke has shed his suit jacket. Both Nancy Barrett and Mitchell Ryan are gorgeous. Can hot sex be far behind? It can. Because in walks Joe Haskell. If I had to describe Carolyn's reaction in one word, it would be miffed. She immediately assumes that it's all about her. She refuses to leave, demands that Joe does, etc. Joe and Burke come to blows (it would be more thrilling if the f/x people could make the sound really seem like punches were happening). Both are bloody but unbowed. Joe manages to get out his reason for being there. As soon as Vicki's name is mentioned, Burke immediately breaks off his belligerence and acknowledges how bad the situation is. He takes charge and tells Joe they're going to Collinwood. So there's Carolyn and it's sort of pathetic and amusing at the same time: pathetic because she really is hurt and funny because she's such a brat that there's satisfaction in watching her get hit with reality.

Next thing they're all back at Collinwood. Elizabeth immediately orders Carolyn to go to her room which has the effect of reducing her back to a petulant teenager. Burke informs Liz that there's a truce on immediately. Vicki is in danger and everything else must be set aside. Joe nearly trips over Vicki's suitcase so finally everyone realizes that she never left Collinwood.

Burke theorizes that Matthew is involved. Liz calls the cops (who promise to come immediately--a 24-hour waiting period is not even mentioned). The guys arm themselves with Roger's guns and take off to look for her.

Vicki looks like she's been hauling coal. I can't decide whether that's the makeup people getting over enthusiastic or if we are supposed to assume Matthew's beating her. In any case, her clothes are not pressed so hopefully if she meets Mr. Right, he can be big enough and look past the wrinkles. Matthew raves on about broken trust and the cops that are lurking behind every bush. He grabs some rope and ties her up, gagging her for good measure.

There's something very comical about the men loading up their shotguns. All they have to go on is the clue that Vicki had lost her wallet so they decide to retrace what they think were her steps.

Matthew and the guys have a couple of near misses as they tramp around the plastic trees and shrubs. He gets back to his captive, pretty set on keeping her around as a hostage. They're halfway out of the house when he spots Burke and Joe. He covers her mouth and drags her back to the secret room. Vicki's would-be rescuers have no clue how close they are. They're also not as observant as Vicki because they miss the footprints leading up the room. They split up to search the house. Josette's portrait begins to glow, but stops as soon as they come back in the room. Joe is dispatched to find out if there are any other places in the house they should be searching. All Liz can come up with is the storm cellar (note that there's no basement at this point in time). Unfortunately that's already been searched and found wanting. They take off and Vicki gets out a scream, but of course, it's too late.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The Importance of Good Grooming -- Episodes 117 & 118
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:43:32 AM »
i haven't seen these episodes in a long time but if i'm remembering this correctly carolyn was really gross here.

true she's spoiled and petulant and flirtatious(qualities i usually adore in her)but in these episodes she comes across as crude and rather slatternly:loose with burke(didn't she take off her shoes?),hateful and hurtful with joe,totally unconcerned with her missing and possibly in danger "friend" vicki.

carolyn really yucked me out here.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Importance of Good Grooming -- Episodes 117 & 118
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
I think . . . I think that it's just she's very young, very self-absorbed and it doesn't occur to her that it's not always all about her.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga