Author Topic: Home Theater Forum WB chat going on RIGHT NOW!! (HELP TO GET DS FILMS ON DVD!)  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Please join the Warner Bros. Chat to get HODS and NODS on DVD ASAP, tonight from 8-11 PM EST!!!

hometheaterforum.com

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The link is:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/files/whvchat.html

and there are instructions etc. on it as well.

Goes for another 2+ hrs, so by all means...

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
I went as soon as I got the message.  I didn't get to ask any questions though because of the yo pecking order of things.

Yo.

ClaudeNorth

According to a thread on HTF, the two DS movies will be released as a double-feature disc next year.

See post #3

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=252149

Darren, dear, do you know anything about this?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I've updated the site with this news item and an editorial, which I highly recommend reading.

home.earthlink.net/~moviemandg

I need a drink. ???

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Here's a link to an announcement on Gord Lacey's TVShowsOnDVD.com:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5166

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Apparently Mr. Lambert doesn't realize that the announcement made at the chat may not be quite the good news that DS fans have been hoping for. Especially if, as Darren fears, WB could simply be planning to release the existing versions of both films on one DVD completely without any sort of extras.  ::)  No restoration - no deleted scenes - not much of anything but the previously released on VHS and laserdisk versions of the films themselves...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I've updated the site with this news item and an editorial, which I highly recommend reading.

(URL)

I need a drink. ???

Hey Darren did you have that drink yet? Bitter sweet news possibly. Hopefully the powers that be on our side will have some input, although it sounds like the situation will be similar to that of MGM/Sony ignoring DCP and DS fans on the 91 series dvd release. At the very minimum, WB is finally waking up.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I just stumbled onto the news while comparing prices on upcoming collections 23 & 24.  I'm still in semi-shock that they may be going to DVD.  I would really like to see the improvements happen before hand though. 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline AKA Laura's Fires

• Junior Poster
  • I see Shadows People...
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows @ FashionState.com!
Apparently Mr. Lambert doesn't realize that the announcement made at the chat may not be quite the good news that DS fans have been hoping for. Especially if, as Darren fears, WB could simply be planning to release the existing versions of both films on one DVD completely without any sort of extras.  ::)  No restoration - no deleted scenes - not much of anything but the previously released on VHS and laserdisk versions of the films themselves...

Well, Mys, you know there just isn't an audience for these films, based on a little-known soap opera from the 1960s that no-one remembers.   ::)

Sheesh, if the plan is to just slap two movies on a DVD in order to stack 'em deep and sell 'em cheap, those folks need a little retro pop culture refresher course.  And some insights as to how many big fans several classic shows and movies have.

Fans buy stuff, and they're willing to pay more for restoration and extras.

But hey, if they want to shoot themselves in the foot underestimating the willing spending power of fans...their loss.
Remember...only YOU can prevent Laura's fires. - Smokey the Bear

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Home Theater Forum WB chat going on RIGHT NOW!! (HELP TO GET DS FILMS ON DV
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 11:36:04 PM »
But hey, if they want to shoot themselves in the foot underestimating the willing spending power of fans...their loss.

No, it's OUR loss.  Who gives a damn if they cheat themselves out of additional profits?

We wanted the original work, the restored pieces, the corrected soundtrack, the interviews and the commentary.  This group of fans has been waiting for decades, and loyalty deserves better than this.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline AKA Laura's Fires

• Junior Poster
  • I see Shadows People...
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows @ FashionState.com!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 03:14:26 AM »

No, it's OUR loss.  Who gives a damn if they cheat themselves out of additional profits?

Well, they should, I would think.

We wanted the original work, the restored pieces, the corrected soundtrack, the interviews and the commentary.  This group of fans has been waiting for decades, and loyalty deserves better than this.

Heck, don't get me wrong, if the movies came out separately, fully restored and with all the goodies, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

But the fact of the matter is, in hard terms, fan loyalty is not an issue when it comes to business decisions.  The bottom line is dollars and cents - namely, turning the biggest profit with the lowest investment possible.  Sounds cold-hearted, but that's how it is.

Sure, all of us would love to have the DVDs with the whole shebang, but that would mean much more of an investment on the part of the company to do what needs to be done to get all those goodies.  Before companies are ready to do that, they usually want to know what kind of return they'll get on their investment.  And unless fan loyalty can be guaranteed into a decent profit for their investment, it's not going to be considered.

Obviously releasing HODS and NODS as two restored movies with goodies would raise the price of the individual DVDs beyond the price of what one double-sided DVD without restoration and extras would cost.  No idea what they would cost individually, but are there any numbers as far as the dollars and cents angle of producing the DVDs versus at least a decent estimate of potential purchasers?

Because when it comes down to debating the issue with WB, it's going to have to be on the strength of dollars and cents.  And if it really turns out the numbers are so great versus production investment that it's just a matter of we fans - and even folks who are just interested in collecting classic horror movies - encouraging them to do the math and guarantee their investment risk...well, who knows?

Looks like there's still a year to debate this with them if the numbers can be crunched in our favor.
Remember...only YOU can prevent Laura's fires. - Smokey the Bear

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
DAMN and BLAST.

Darren here's my hope that the WB suits decide to issue the restored version of NoDS on a separate disc.  I'm sure there are extras for hoDS that could easily fill an entire DVD.  If nothing else, I'd love a commentary with Dan Curtis and Sam Hall.  It seems doubtful whether either of those gentlemen is going to be appearing at a festival, and would be very interesting to hear their reflections... and, of course, to see your restoration of the deleted scenes!

I'm lighting a candle in the wish it WILL happen.  To quote Dr. Julia Hoffman... it MUST.

Best, Steve

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 04:08:56 PM »
Heck, don't get me wrong, if the movies came out separately, fully restored and with all the goodies, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.  Obviously releasing HODS and NODS as two restored movies with goodies would raise the price of the individual DVDs beyond the price of what one double-sided DVD without restoration and extras would cost.  No idea what they would cost individually, but are there any numbers as far as the dollars and cents angle of producing the DVDs versus at least a decent estimate of potential purchasers?

They'll PROBABLY release BOTH the original HODS & NODS and then, *hopefully*, Darren's restored version at a later date.  It's called 'double-dipping' folks and studios do it ALL the time to fleece us suckers out of our hard earned sheckles!  And we buy both don't we?  ;)  If they think they'll get even MORE money out of us, they'd have rocks in their heads NOT to release a second version of NODS.  My hope is that whatever WB does regarding the release of these 2 flicks on DVD, that once Darren has finished his restoration of NODS they will release that as well and call it the NODS Criterion version, or whatever.  So long as we see the film the way it was SUPPOSED to be seen all those years ago, that's all I care about!!   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
What is possibly working in our favor is that WB is obviously well aware of Darren's restoration project so hopefully all of the restored footage will make it to the upcoming movies' DVD. I understand it is all about dollars and cents, but WB is financially able to absorb the costs of adding the restorations to the DVD. Just look at how the WB corporation threw away 6 million dollars without even blinking an eye on the failed 2004 Dark Shadows pilot. Adding the restoration footage to the DVD will cost a fraction of that I believe. Let's hope that Darren's hard work will be rewarded.