Poll

Which version of Barnabas Collins do you find the most interesting?

Barnabas in 1967: Formidable villain seeking to enslave a 20th. century lookalike of his long lost love; adversary of all who would expose his secret; object of a total stranger's efforts to cure him.
8 (20.5%)
Barnabas in 1795: lovebird turned night owl by that jealous girl from Martinique.
10 (25.6%)
Barnabas in 1968: recovering vampire trying to stay clean and sober; battling a black-wigged blast from the past; putting up with that overgrown brat who is his link to permanent recovery; opposing Nickey the nefarious netherworld repr.
4 (10.3%)
Barnabas in 1968-69: Hero of Collinwood, battling Quentin's ghost; transmuting his own past experiences to help another who is the victim of a curse.
2 (5.1%)
Barnabas in 1897: vampire using his supernatural powers for good; misunderstood hunted down benefactor of the Collins family; meeting two Josette lookalikes one after the other; joining forces with an erstwhile mortal enemy.
5 (12.8%)
Barnabas in 1969: A temporary return to evil ways while in cahoots with the Leviathans.
1 (2.6%)
Barnabas in 1969-70: snapping out of it and resisting the Leviathans, punished for his stand with a return to vampirism.
2 (5.1%)
Barnabas in PT 1970: drawn to what could have been in an alternate timeline; temporarily kept under wraps, so to speak, against his will; helping another Josette lookalike; finding true love again-this time with one who does not look like Josette.
0 (0%)
Barnabas in 1995: Engaged in his dynamic duo thing with Julia Hoffman, searching for clues.
2 (5.1%)
Barnabas in summer 1970: once again the hero of Collinwood, in a desperate struggle to prevent an imminent cataclysm.
1 (2.6%)
Barnabas in 1840: Fighting the Collins' family's worst enemy; filling in as a legal eagle; finding true (but tragically cut short) love with an erstwhile enemy.
2 (5.1%)
Barnabas in House of Dark Shadows: tragic villain terrorizing Collinwood (aka the Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, NY)
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 16, 2006, 04:08:21 AM

Author Topic: Dark Shadows' central character.  (Read 1702 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows' central character.
« on: February 15, 2006, 04:08:21 AM »
New poll running a bit longer than most because of the preeminent subject of this poll.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows' central character.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:54:23 AM »
I voted for 1795.  I guess it's the most fascinating because his vampirism is really at the heart of the show, and 1795 is the story of how it happened.  From Barney as Mr. Sweety, to his betrayal, the duel, his extremely complex and eventually complete manipulation by Angie, the attempt to fight back, and then his change into the "evil" (but extremely sympathetic) vampire taking revenge on those who deserved it, and the whole thing with his father...

Then there's Ben, the witchcraft trial, the tower room, and the disembodied hand chasing Trask around his room...

Truly great stuff  ;D

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 06:25:18 AM »
[spoiler]Although it's close, I voted for the experienced, more world-weary Barnabas who is unwittingly returned to vampirism by his trip to 1897.  This timeline expands his arcane experience, pairs him with some very interesting adversaries, and cements his place as anti-hero of Collinwood. He battles a variety of foes, including Quentin, Angelique, Evan Hanley and Count Petofi, and finds the former two as allies later in the storyline.  It is the discovery of his vampirism by others at Collinwood that really spices up his obstacles in saving David and unearthing the mysteries of the werewolf curse.  As a close second, I would choose 1968, when BC's role as hero is amped up by his quest to remain "normal," as well as the show's first foray into intensely active storylines.[/spoiler]

Petofi

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 06:48:19 AM »
I voted for Barnabas of 1967, just released upon the world and spreading death like a disease. I LOVE Frid in these episode. He is so sinister and so damn creepy. I love Barnabas all around, but I LOVE when he's bad.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »
There's three I really love: 1967 newly released vampire, 1795 normal man to vampire, and 1897.

My favorite is 1967 Barnabas, for the darkness. He's cold and calculating, but at the same time, even then, you see glimpses of humanity in him. I love his dialogue in this period, and his interactions with the Collins family and Willie.

My second favorite would be 1795 because of the character's development. It was great to see him a normal man pre-curse and then watch him change as everything starts falling apart.

Third is 1897. For pretty much the same reasons as Petofi.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 03:54:43 AM »
Intro to Barnabas is pretty darn interesting not just for Barnabas/Frid but for the B&W camera work, the fascinating emotional stories and the focus on regular human joes most of the time (with a vampire thrown in). JF has some great moments that rightfully earned him the staring role. Parts of 1895 are cool but I haven't seen most of it. My vote is for 1795, a completely original (from what I can tell) fast-paced, tightly structured, funny, searingly tragic, sometimes truly frightening, sharp, whimsical .. man... it runs the whole gamut and should have won a TV emmy (if there was fairness in the world). JF was placed firmly in the center, a decision that paid off and he was fascinating from beginning to end (well, except for the usual line forgetting, but oh well, the good outweighs the bad). It's hard to get some of Frid's 1795 performances out of mind such as his confrontation with dock - prostitue and almost victim - Ruby, his admitting to Angelique that he "can't love anyone by Josette", and the classic Barnie/Ben scene where Ben admits Angelique is the witch. I believe 1795 put DS on the map. A real achievement all around. It's why I became a fan anyway.

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 04:35:52 AM »
Of course there is that memorable 1795 blooper: " She has the right to be judged innocent until she is proven innocent."

My vote is for 1795, a completely original (from what I can tell) fast-paced, tightly structured, funny, searingly tragic, sometimes truly frightening, sharp, whimsical .. man... it runs the whole gamut and should have won a TV emmy (if there was fairness in the world). JF was placed firmly in the center, a decision that paid off and he was fascinating from beginning to end (well, except for the usual line forgetting, but oh well, the good outweighs the bad).
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 06:20:51 AM »
I liked Barnabas in 1968-1969. He was fighting Quentin's spirit to save Amy and David and transmuting his own past experiences to save Chris who was the victim of a curse and the only family Amy had.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 04:18:32 PM »
Intro to Barnabas is pretty darn interesting not just for Barnabas/Frid but for the B&W camera work, the fascinating emotional stories and the focus on regular human joes most of the time (with a vampire thrown in). JF has some great moments that rightfully earned him the staring role. ... My vote is for 1795, a completely original (from what I can tell) fast-paced, tightly structured, funny, searingly tragic, sometimes truly frightening, sharp, whimsical .. man... it runs the whole gamut and should have won a TV emmy (if there was fairness in the world). JF was placed firmly in the center, a decision that paid off and he was fascinating from beginning to end (well, except for the usual line forgetting, but oh well, the good outweighs the bad). It's hard to get some of Frid's 1795 performances out of mind such as his confrontation with dock - prostitue and almost victim - Ruby, his admitting to Angelique that he "can't love anyone by Josette", and the classic Barnie/Ben scene where Ben admits Angelique is the witch. I believe 1795 put DS on the map. A real achievement all around. It's why I became a fan anyway.

I concur Stefan, I too love this plotline, it's my favorite.  It was so refreshing to see Barnabas alive and uncursed after his downright CREEPY performances when he was terrorizing Maggie, best creepy moment, the 'dinner' they have in the drawing room, IMHO.  Frid was great playing the creep, then to see him transform into the sweet, gentle, and, dare I say it, somewhat SHY Barnabas, in 1795, was incredible and yes, I do believe too that this is what put DS on the map and catapulted him to stardom.  My favorite scene from 1795, as I've mentioned before, [spoiler]is the scene where Joshua tells him Jeremiah and Josette have married.  He is devastated, and you see it in his eyes before he even opens his mouth.  Then when he does, the choking voice as he asks Josette why she did it[/spoiler] just make the tears flow every time I watch it.   :'(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 06:28:58 PM »
I think in terms of acting, despite all the flubs JF's performance in the original 1967 storyline was tops.  His nervousness actually feeds into the characterization in a way that's quite brilliant.  Some of his scenes in that story are sooo creepy.  I honestly can hardly bear to watch some of the stuff when he's holding Maggie prisoner in the OH because it is so very unpleasant.  Even though practically nothing is shown, it is still some of the most horrifying material ever aired on a dramatic television series.

I can't really pin it down to a specific storyline after that, but generally, when it was an on day for him, there were fabulous moments throughout the four years.  Some of those Magda scenes were so spicy, and I love how sardonic he got with Julia during Leviathan when they were on the outs.  He was great opposite Angelique's various incarnations, as well.  I love the back-and-forth with Cassandra...

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 06:46:48 PM »
I have several favorite Frid/Barnabas scenes.  I agree with what BuzzH, Gothick and some others say about how creepy Barnabas could be and still utterly convincing in the kinder, vunerable scenes.  Gothick said that some of the scenes with Maggie's kidnapping were the creepiest things that had ever been on daytime TV (I'm paraphrasing) and I had not thought about that before.  Up until that point, that sort of material was pushing the envelope just as I imagine Barnabas' beating of Willie Loomis was not something seen on other soaps.

I always thought Barnabas was scarier even without the fangs to remind everyone that he was a vampire.  The menace was terrifying and the villain looking for redemption was irresistible.

Nancy

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »
Some of his scenes in that story are sooo creepy.  I honestly can hardly bear to watch some of the stuff when he's holding Maggie prisoner in the OH because it is so very unpleasant.  Even though practically nothing is shown, it is still some of the most horrifying material ever aired on a dramatic television series.

Yes, I totally agree!  He is amazingly frightening in these episodes, so menacing!  The mental anguish he puts Maggie through is beyond anything I've ever seen on daytime TV to date!  It's quite like those scenes in 'Silence of the Lambs' when we see the Senator's daughter being held captive and the psychological torture her abductor puts her through.  Chilling!   [haironend]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 02:50:30 AM »
How about all of the above? ;)