Author Topic: The Phoenix in other shows/films?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
The Phoenix in other shows/films?
« on: February 11, 2006, 03:09:28 AM »
 Dark Shadows was very innovative with its re-imagining of the mythical phoenix. They took the legend and refashioned it into a unique and interesting supernatural character, with a disturbing motive, and a well-written storyline.   

I was wondering if this concept - a malevolent human incarnation of the mythical bird - was ever used later in another series or in a film?  I could have sworn I read in a fanzine about a TV movie using a very similar premise to the Laura storyline.  It might just be my imagination though.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The Phoenix in other shows/films?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:30:52 AM »
In the upcoming X-Men 3, Jean Grey comes back as Dark Phoenix.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 02:28:24 AM »
Dark Shadows was very innovative with its re-imagining of the mythical phoenix. They took the legend and refashioned it into a unique and interesting supernatural character, with a disturbing motive, and a well-written storyline.   

I was wondering if this concept - a malevolent human incarnation of the mythical bird - was ever used later in another series or in a film?  I could have sworn I read in a fanzine about a TV movie using a very similar premise to the Laura storyline.  It might just be my imagination though.

Good question!
I'd love to know if this has any origins beyond the DS writers' imagination. DS cannibalized almost all their ideas from the history of horror and gothic literature and films, but the Phoenix is one of those anomalies.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 05:17:38 AM »

If you recall anything about the TV movie, do let us know.  I've never come across another tale of a human phoenix, so I've long suspected that it's one of, if not the most original stories on DS.

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:25:05 AM »
I was wondering if this concept - a malevolent human incarnation of the mythical bird - was ever used later in another series or in a film? I could have sworn I read in a fanzine about a TV movie using a very similar premise to the Laura storyline. It might just be my imagination though.

There was a tv-movie followed by a short-lived series called "The Phoenix," with this premise (except the character wasn't malevolent), starring Judson Scott, about 23 or 24 years ago or so. 

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 09:27:26 PM »
The Phoenix debuted in 1982, I think, and the lead character's name was Bennu.  The show had a cult following, I remember one of the DS fan cartoonists put out a series of booklets back in the 80s that had DS, Doctor Who, The Phoenix, and other of her fave shows immortalized in cartoons, etc.  Does anybody here remember these booklets?

Petofi

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:35:44 PM »
In Season 1 of the TV series Beastmaster (starring Daniel Goddard), there was an episode that featured a Phoenix as the villain.  From what I can recall (it's been, what, 6 or 7 years now), the character worshipped a solar Deity and had had a longstanding relationship with the tribe of the Sula, the Beastmaster's home tribe.

This Phoenix was male and seemed vaguely Aztec-inspired.  The show came out of Australia and I very much doubt whether they were familiar with the Dark Shadows Phoenix storyline.

Best, G.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 01:24:00 AM »
Stefan DeMera on Days of Our Lives is considered a Phoenix as he has risen from the dead many times.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 01:46:54 AM »
i so love the laura collins storylines!

in many ways they were the show at it's most inventive.where as the other supernatural characters(vampire,witch,werewolf)were recognizable in human form in many legends i had never heard of the pheonix in human form before this show.diana millay was awsome as laura!

the 1966 story is an all-time favorite and when the character leaves the 1897 story it loses something for me.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.