Author Topic: Crazy Collinwood  (Read 961 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Crazy Collinwood
« on: April 17, 2002, 09:07:29 AM »
It always drives me crazy when a huge house like Collinwood and also the Old House are treated as though they only had a front door.  There has been occasional mention of a back door, but anyone trying to sneak out (of either house) always goes the front way and has to try to pass everyone that's in the drawing room!

Now, here comes Nathan, living in, apparently, one room - and it's got a front and a back door!!!!!!  At first I thought perhaps Noah was just to hide in the next room or a closet, but Nathan tells him to leave and there's a lock on the door, so presumably it's a real door to the outside.
Josette

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Collinwood
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 12:54:35 PM »
It always drives me crazy when a huge house like Collinwood and also the Old House are treated as though they only had a front door.  There has been occasional mention of a back door, but anyone trying to sneak out (of either house) always goes the front way and has to try to pass everyone that's in the drawing room.

Didn't Nathan use a back door or servant's door at the Old House when he was bringing food to Victoria Winters? He met up with Angeliquee,  who was using the same door to enter from one of her walks in the woods .
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2002, 08:32:20 PM »
We saw the back of the Old House when Willie left to pay Maggie a vist upon his return from Wyndcliff.  It must've been an addition because I think it looked like a brick rowhouse to me.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 10:36:28 PM »
I remember Harry Johnson coming down the staircase at the Old House and quickly heading out the back way.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Paul

• Junior Poster
  • I Love Bathia Mapes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2002, 12:10:35 AM »
:D That was a huge surprise to me that Nathan had two exits. I also thought Noah was going to hide in the closet. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Has anybody ever seen a room that size having two doors? I bet even the people watching in 1968 were shocked. Paul  ::)
Paul

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2002, 03:10:25 AM »
It always drives me crazy when a huge house like Collinwood and also the Old House are treated as though they only had a front door.  There has been occasional mention of a back door, but anyone trying to sneak out (of either house) always goes the front way and has to try to pass everyone that's in the drawing room!

What drives me crazy about the front door of Collinwood is that after they exhausted their location footage of Seaview Terrace (the house in Rhode Island used as the Collinwood exterior) in the beginning of the series, we never saw the front of the house again, and are always presented with the back, or terrace, side of the house. And they seem to suggest the back of the house is the front from then on. They zoom in on a door in the back of the house then cut to someone walking in the front door. This despite several instances in the beginning of the series where we see a car pulling up to the actual front of the house and parking by the front door. Also, characters have been seen walking out the front door and looking up at the Tower Room, which is not visible from the actual front of the house. Also, characters sometimes look out the big window in the drawing room and see a car approaching, despite the fact that they're looking out at the terrace and not the front driveway!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2002, 09:44:03 AM »
Josette, You're right, it does look silly having two doors in Nathan's room, especially since he is staying at the Inn.   :o  And where are those back doors when you need them? Vicky sure could have used one instead of running outside the front door while Trask was "exorcising" the house. ::)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2002, 04:15:56 AM »
Josette, You're right, it does look silly having two doors in Nathan's room, especially since he is staying at the Inn.

I was puzzled at first too, but rationalized that the door Noah went out may have been a fire escape.

;D   ;D   ;D

But you never know.  Take modern-day hotel rooms for instance.  They often have doors to adjoining rooms.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995