Author Topic: DS Props  (Read 1235 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS Props
« on: February 02, 2006, 03:41:22 AM »
Auctions for props supposedly issued for use on DS frequently pop up on eBay, usually sold with a "Certificate of Authenticity".

Most of these things (vaguely gothic urns, candelabras, etc.) look to me like stuff that can be picked up at any garage sale, and I can't help but wonder what a COA really proves.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS Props
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 06:00:35 PM »
There was a seller going around selling junk and claiming they were DS props. Again, same kind of yard sale worthless antiquey looking stuff with nothing specifically memorable or any photos of the item on the show to offer as an example.

I'd stay far away from these auctions.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 06:26:02 PM »
Auctions for props supposedly issued for use on DS frequently pop up on eBay, usually sold with a "Certificate of Authenticity".

Most of these things (vaguely gothic urns, candelabras, etc.) look to me like stuff that can be picked up at any garage sale, and I can't help but wonder what a COA really proves.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Unless you're getting it from someone reputable like BOBUBAS, I'd steer clear and wait for the Fest and one of their 2 auctions.  Jim Pierson ALWAYS comes up w/something from both shows.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:31:12 PM »
I would love to have an original series prop, I only have two of the carts, which have musical cues on a tape that resembles an 8-track, used by DC/ABC back in the day, and a license plate from the '91 series I got at a DS auction.
     I have one great prop story, I was at a non-sports card show, finishing my green cards set. A dealer said, "Hey, I have Quentin Collins ring. Wanna see it?" He pulled out a display box. I looked at it. Now this was before I had completed my video collection. I didn't recognize it as any ring I knew Quentin to wear, like the X ring in 1840, or Petofi's ring. So I passed. he wanted someting like $4-$500 for it. Years later, I was looking at one of Bobubas's photos and low and behold, there's the exact ring, on Aristede. I feel pretty certain he had somehow gotten a hold of the Stroka Aristede ring, I don't think it was a fake. I mean, its a little too obscure to fake. If I had to guess, it was passed along from a collector who probably said, "Yeah, some guy wore this on Dahk Shadohs, I think it was uh, Quentin, yeah, Quentin." Hey, if it came around again, I probably would pay $3-$400 for it. The ring was that silver piece that covered almost the whole fingure with an big Turquoise oval stone. BTW, he had an original plastic Barnabas ring from the old gum card offer as well.

Michael  [Bat]

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:13:38 PM »
Even on legitimate prop items, attribution is a tricky thing.  The COA merely states that the item was "used" on DS.  This could mean that it was in prop storage on DS, maybe never or rarely used, and eventually bought out by another props house, used on various other shows, etc.  Unless it is a prominent, recognizable item, and COA'd by one of two or three major authenticators, it's best to steer clear.   :-  As for me, I have purchased items that are a dead ringer for items used on the show, like the scarab Laura used, or the Barnabas Cane, or Aristede's Dancing Lady (Kris blade), items that have been more or less mass-produced.  These items are affordable, usually, and you know what you are getting!   :) Some of the jewelry that was used on the show was general, mass-produced stuff, like Frid's ring, but they still can be tough as anything to find.  Personally I've never run across the woolworth-type ring that frid claims to have worn.  Apparently it had originally sported a green stone, and was plentiful enough at the time to replace frequently.  Anybody else run across such items?

Petofi

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 05:00:08 PM »
Personally I've never run across the woolworth-type ring that frid claims to have worn.  Apparently it had originally sported a green stone, and was plentiful enough at the time to replace frequently.  Anybody else run across such items?

There's a dealer at the Fests named Cindy and she makes this fantastic jewery.  She has quite a few onxy's that look like the one Frid wore.  She'll be at the 40th in Brooklyn so if you're there, check her table out.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 05:12:27 PM »
There's a dealer at the Fests named Cindy and she makes this fantastic jewery.  She has quite a few onxy's that look like the one Frid wore.  She'll be at the 40th in Brooklyn so if you're there, check her table out.  ;)

http://www.cyndesignd.com/Jewels.htm   8)

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 05:19:51 PM »
I was thinking more of mass-produced matches, but this is great stuff!  Thank you, all.

Petofi