Author Topic: On This Day In History: June 27, 1966 – Dark Shadows premieres on ABC  (Read 944 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I've missed getting a Google Alert to this because back on the 26th my email provider experienced "major hardware failures" that they're still trying to recover from. But interestingly enough I just came across it quite by accident:

On This Day In History: June 27, 1966 – Dark Shadows premieres on ABC, Carey Mansion used as Collinwood Mansion

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's nice to see. On my "wall" on social media, I posted this really nice color shot of Alexandra wearing a sleeveless dress, in the Foyer next to the black rearing horse statue. It had DARK SHADOWS (in block letters, not the font) and the ABC logo on it and might have been used as a "bump." I'd post it here, but I have never figured out how to post photos on the forum.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmm - that bumper sounds familiar, but I'm not sure if I have a copy. And if my email was actually working I'd ask you to email me a copy and I'd post it for you. But my provider is still having problems. They say things may be fixed later today after they switch over to new hardware, but who knows? Though I can't be too upset with them because we've had our share of problems around here from time to time, so I can't help but feel empathy for the situation they find themselves in...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
So sorry to hear about your continuing email woes. I have the image saved and I can mail it to you whenever you like--just let me know if they are able to fix the problem.

Best, G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Gothick, I can post it here from your page if you'd like.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Sure, Midnite! That's nice of you to offer.

I'd be really surprised if that image is new to MB. He who sees all, knows all!

xo G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'd be really surprised if that image is new to MB. He who sees all, knows all!

Indeed!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for sharing, uploading, posting, etc.  [ghost_smiley]

Honestly, I don't think I have seen that before today. The version from that photo shoot that I'm very familiar with is this one -

- because a cropped version is in the DS Companion and it's shown up all over the place since it was published there. I definitely know I've never seen any color photos from that shoot. And when it comes to it in particular, few things drive me more crazy than when they flip a photo. It should actually be -

- like this.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thanks again, Midnite!

MB, I might have known that in the off chance you hadn't seen the picture, you'd have a critique to offer about it!  I think flipped or not, it's a lovely shot of Alexandra and really evokes the mood of the first year of the show, color notwithstanding.

A lot of images have shown up on social media in the past few years that are new to me. And that includes non-DS images of Grayson, which of course always make me a happy fan.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
it's a lovely shot of Alexandra

It is. In fact. I think all of the photos from that shoot, including the one of her posing by the cabinet on the back wall and the one of her posing behind the sofa (both of which also show up all over the place) are quite nice. But then I don't think she ever took a bad DS publicity photo.  [ghost_nowink]

A lot of images have shown up on social media in the past few years that are new to me.

To me as well. It's just amazing how much "new" stuff can show up in PomPress books, Fest programs and Fest merchandise. It's almost as if someone is using their I Ching wands to go back in time, take photos, and then bring them back to us.  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And if my email was actually working I'd ask you to email me a copy and I'd post it for you. But my provider is still having problems. They say things may be fixed later today after they switch over to new hardware, but who knows?

Believe it or not, I didn't regain access to my email until a few minutes ago. Now I have close to 700 new emails to wade through...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another site that commemorated the anniversary:

'Dark Shadows' Premieres on ABC

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Normally I would have posted this link in the Pinterest topic. But I figured it was more appropriate here:

Pinterest: Pin on Dark Shadows First Year

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And when it comes to it in particular, few things drive me more crazy than when they flip a photo. It should actually be -

While scanning some pages of MPI's DS 1994 Catalogue for future posting in a different topic what did I came across but the photo in its correct orientation. Unfortunately, it's in B&W - but it doesn't have the writing or the ABC logo printed over it - so there is that...