Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0030  (Read 356 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0030
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »
Robservations #30

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0030

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
The opening shot of Collinwood is quite spooky looking which fits appropriately into the story. A storm rages over the Great House and Vickie is all alone. Lightening flashes through the window of the drawing room. Carolyns earlier prophecy about losing the lights comes true. The drawing room doors are shut and Vickie cannot open them. Then the doors are open and in the flash of the lightening a figure stands there. Cue the Dark Shadows opening theme.  Afterwards the lights are back on.  Roger comes in from replacing the fuse.

Everyone is looking for David except Roger. Vickie tells Roger David tried to kill him. Flash to town where Burke thoughtfully holds the valve. David comes out of bathroom and tried to retrieve the valve. Back at the Great House, Roger reveals he has never liked the boy. There is much ado about Burke having David in his room when they get to Collinwood.  David tells Roger Vickie lied. Burke reveals he has the valve at the end.

you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 09:14:40 PM »
Not crazy about the voiceover but loved the wide pan intro of the drawing room. We rarely see a full view of the windows, so, cool, I say.

At first I thought the figure in the doorway was Roger, I was sure of it, because he said so. But not so sure now. I really think it was poorly done, I mean you can see it's a figure with black cloth wrapped around it's head but I'm thinking maybe it played much better on the small B&W sets of the 60s where it would look more like just a dark figure. But they were playing Josette's ghost music (I think) so maybe it's supposed to be a phantom. I think it disappeared in front of Vicki' eyes. At least that's my interpretation. Unless it was just more sloppy editing. If it did disappear, Vicki should have responded to it which she did not. And Roger surely would have heard Vicki calling out to him. And they have been bring up ghosts in the script as of late. So I am thinking it's our first ghost or phantom. It certainly scared the shit out of Vicki. Anybody have an opinion on this? The whole scene was pretty bad in my opinion. Vicki lit a match and threw it into a roaring fire?

I SO wish they would have had Vicki pick up a fire poker instead of a candle stick to protect herself from the intruder or phantom. But the irony would have been lost on us anyway.

Roger is so unlikeable when first talking to Vicki about David's disappearance. David doesn't seem to remember the puppy he had when Burke mentions the dog he had as a child. I remember Carolyn mentioning it to Vicki when trying to warn her about him upon her arrival. I enjoyed all the scenes between David and Burke. David is an awful child.

Burke is still warning Vicki to leave Collinsport. Vicki gives David the benefit of the doubt stating maybe he didn't know how serious the consequences could have been from his removing the valve. I think we know better than that, don't we? How could she not be afraid David will try and kill her? I'd expect her to at least consider the possibility and think it over. Maybe she does in the next episode.

I chuckled thinking about the stage hand having to work the windshield wipers in Burke's car. That would have made a great blooper. This was a sloppy episode.  But an exciting one nonetheless.

Anyone remember if there is a secret panel in Vicki's room?