Author Topic: Recommendations to watch MTW's Jeffrey seem to be coming out(no pun intended)...  (Read 422 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
...of the woodwork - here's another one:

From Entertainment Weekly's Website
queer quarantine recommendations from Matt Ortile
queer content perfect for quarantine.

Nice photo of MTW and Steven Webber...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Jeffrey is currently on Amazon Prime, so I decided to give it a watch.  Was not expecting an AIDS comedy, but it really was funny... and sometimes romantic (I loved the balloon batting scene), though I'm guessing much of it worked better as a play.

It has good acting and a insane number of cameos, but can we talk about the intensity of Michael T. Weiss' character?  Oh my god.  Even though it's never been in the cards for Joe Haskell or Peter Bradford, I can't help but imagine what a freakin' hot vampire MTW would have made.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I saw Jeffrey during its off Broadway run and the balloon bit did work much better on stage. Only Bryan Batt, who played Darius, reprised his stage part in the film. All of the female parts were played by Harriet Harris, who was outstanding as Felicia Tillman on Desperate Housewives. She would have made an excellent Julia Hoffman, IMHO.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The balloon scene was romantic but unnecessarily continued into the streets.  I surmised that much of the film worked better as a play.  And thank you for the info!  Darius was my favorite.  Harriet Harris also had memorable performances on X-Files and Frasier.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
but can we talk about the intensity of Michael T. Weiss' character?  Oh my god.  Even though it's never been in the cards for Joe Haskell or Peter Bradford, I can't help but imagine what a freakin' hot vampire MTW would have made.

It's been close to 30 years since I've seen Jeffrey and even at that I never looked at it in terms of MTW playing a vampire. But now you've certainly gotten me intrigued. I'll definitely have to revisit the film.

As for the balloon scene you and Uncle Roger have been discussing, I don't even remember what it is. Something else to look forward to and possibly comment on...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
All of the female parts were played by Harriet Harris, who was outstanding as Felicia Tillman on Desperate Housewives.

OMG - one of my absolute favorite exchanges on DH, and I apologize that I have to paraphrase it because I don't have the exact wording, but:

Character (I don't remember which): Have you seen Zach?

Felicia: No. We haven't kept in touch since he threw me down the stairs.

And she said it so dryly and matter of factly - it was too hysterically funny for words!!