Author Topic: NIGHT OF THE IGUANA DVD Release Moved to 5/2/06 / merged w/ NOTI on DVD  (Read 1996 times)

ClaudeNorth

Legionnaires will want to note that Warners has delayed the release of THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA until May 2, 2006.  It's available for pre-order on dvdplanet.com.

I believe there will be extras, including a brand-new featurette about the making ot TNOTI.  Let's hope that our Divine One is finally given her due for her contributions to this film!

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: NIGHT OF THE IGUANA DVD Release Moved to 5/2/06
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:40:41 AM »
Let's hope that our Divine One is finally given her due for her contributions to this film!

Seducer.....!!!!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 04:21:50 PM »
Is it warner or Turner Classics .. i've heard varying stories. . i tried to trumphet the Divine One to the leaders of Warners.  ..no response. . .
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »
Is it warner or Turner Classics .. i've heard varying stories. .
According to DVD Journal (http://www.dvdjournal.com), Warners will be releasing a collection of films based on Tennessee Williams' plays that will include TNOTI.  Although not explicitly stated, I assume that each of the films will be released separately as well as in the box set.

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 06:04:31 PM »
Is it warner or Turner Classics .. i've heard varying stories. . i tried to trumphet the Divine One to the leaders of Warners.  ..no response. . .

I found it listed for pre-order on the Turner Classic Movies site. No mention of it being part of a box set.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 06:54:33 PM »
Here's an excerpt from DVD Times, a UK site:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Tennessee Williams Film Collection for 2nd May 2006. This eight-disc DVD set contains the acclaimed film adaptations of one of America's greatest playwrights. The collection, priced at $79.92 SRP, features the long-awaited DVD debuts of  ... Night of the Iguana... Also included is a bonus disc, the rarely seen feature-length documentary, Tennessee Williams' South. All other individual titles [besides Streetcar Named Desire] are available for $19.97 SRP each.

The full writeup is at http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=59521  Scroll down to find the list of special features for NOTI.  And the cover art is halfway down the page.

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Night of the Iguana on DVD
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 04:33:58 AM »
For the Graysonholics out there, Amazon.com is now listing "Night of the Iguana" available for preorder on DVD. Great price!   :D  But no mention of extras that I could see.  ???

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: NIGHT OF THE IGUANA DVD Release Moved to 5/2/06 / merged w/ NOTI on DVD
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »
Do Warners EVER include extras on their DVDs??  Seems as if whenever I see an old film out on their label, the release is bare-bones.  For DVD features you get things like "chapter menu" and "language: English."  Whoop-de-doo.

There is a short film, "In search of the Iguana," that was on the old laser disc release (which was the source of my own copy of the film--a friend was kind enough to tape it for me).  You'd think they'd at least include that.  If you look really carefully, you can see bits of Grayson in a couple of the crowd scenes...

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 12:13:13 AM »
To everyone: Thanks for the update and info...  :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 01:44:05 AM »
Do Warners EVER include extras on their DVDs??  Seems as if whenever I see an old film out on their label, the release is bare-bones.  For DVD features you get things like "chapter menu" and "language: English."  Whoop-de-doo.

There is a short film, "In search of the Iguana," that was on the old laser disc release (which was the source of my own copy of the film--a friend was kind enough to tape it for me).  You'd think they'd at least include that.  If you look really carefully, you can see bits of Grayson in a couple of the crowd scenes...

If it's called "On the Trail of the Iguana," it's included in the list of special features.  If you follow the link in Reply #5 and scroll down til you see the NOTI heading, you'll find both the special features and the cover art.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Midnite!  Looks interesting.  Although I wince at that unflattering shot of Deborah Kerr chosen for the box art...

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 05:30:15 PM »
I wince at that unflattering shot of Deborah Kerr chosen for the box art...

And isn't it amazing that James Ward receives slightly higher billing than GH?  I assume that the packaging reflects the credit order in the film itself, but nonetheless, she did play a much more prominent role in the film than he did. 

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 05:45:54 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, Midnite!  Looks interesting.  Although I wince at that unflattering shot of Deborah Kerr chosen for the box art...

Ya know...Mr. G's comment made me go back and take another gander at that site. I was in such a rush I didn't check out the cover art the first time. :o :o

OMG...I need one of Julia's sedatives... I'm sorry but...I can't help but comment on the cover:

First of all, the best cover out of the lot of them, IMO (remember I said - opinion! ;)) is the cover on the box for the boxed set itself. The rest I think could be tweaked a bit...but getting to the NOTL cover...the thing that strikes me the most, aside from the fact that those are some unflattering shots of most of the actors, and that even though I love the color pink like there's no tomorrow (cough), is that THE academy-award nominated actor IS NOT on the dang cover! A travesty in my book...
In fact, the only mention of her name is near the bottom left hand corner...
I know I'm biased, I think her acting stood out and was an ingenious part of the plot, fleshed out the tortured soul that was Judith "spitfire" Fellowes beautifully, but...come on! If you are going to include the main actors of the plot on the cover, include them ALL...

[deep breath] Okay, rant over...time for chocolate.   ;)

And isn't it amazing that James Ward receives slightly higher billing than GH?  I assume that the packaging reflects the credit order in the film itself, but nonetheless, she did play a much more prominent role in the film than he did.

Whoops - yup, You're probably right John...my passion overshadowed the likely reason behind that...omission, but still...honestly!  >:(  ;)

Okay, I'll be quiet now...

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 05:58:16 PM »
Steve, the bonus features are listed on the DVD Times page:

Commentary by John Huston
New featurette The Night of the Iguana: Dangerous Creatures
Vintage featurette On the Trail of the Iguana
1964 premiere highlights
Theatrical trailers

In regards to Grayson's spot on the billing, the studios are contractually under obligation to use the designated film billing and can't alter it. When I did PR for a home video company we had to get approvals to make sure the press releases had the exact same billing order etc.

I would have liked Grayson's image to grace the poster but I imagine they were limited to the poster key art they had. One of my favorite aspects of Warners classic releases in the last couple of years has been the use of original poster art instead of lousy photoshopped new designs (ala Columbia)...(Just imagine how cool that giant bloody Angelique head's going to look on a DVD in the future... ;)) BUT I'm sure there must be a poster- foreign etc. that has her there somewhere...but you'd know more than I, Steve...

The audio commentary intrigues me as its probably like Walt Disney's Snow White commentary: interview excerpts with Huston on the film, edited together to run with the film. Should be good.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 09:00:32 PM »
Darren, I'm sure that you're right; they're using a period advertising image for the cover design on that box. Although I can't recall having seen that specific image, the format matches others I have seen for the movie.

I just watched it last month and James Ward got much better billing than did Grayson in the film's actual title sequence.  He got bigger type and a separate screen with, I think, Cyril Delavanti? (but don't quote me on that)

I've never, ever seen any promotional designs for the film that featured Grayson's image.  In the trailer that was on the old laserdisc, the funny thing is that her name was never mentioned but three of her scenes were shown in excerpt.  I found myself asking "who's selling this movie, anyway??"

Best, Steve