Author Topic: 50 Things Only People Who Lived in the 1970s Will Remember  (Read 460 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 50 Things Only People Who Lived in the 1970s Will Remember
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 07:21:41 AM »
I couldn't help checking out the other items, and a lot of them seemed to belong earlier than the 70s.  They might have still been prevalent in the 70s, but started sometimes long before.  The one that particularly surprised me was the telephone, where they claimed most had just the one wall phone.  By the mid 60s I had a princess phone in my room.  It WAS still the same line, so only one person could use it at a time, but it wasn't just the one wall phone, and they are talking about the 70s.
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »
I haven't read the article, but I agree with you, Josette. I lived in a development outside a small town in northern Maryland, and when I was a child in the mid to late 1960s, I remember there being multiple phones in most people's homes. I never had one in my bedroom, but we had one in our finished basement and I'd go down there when I wanted to gab with a friend about the latest movies we'd been watching on TV or the latest monster mags we'd found in the local shop, McIlhenny's.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 08:58:23 PM »
There are always going to be, shall we say, misrepresentations so long as the people behind these articles are as young as they most probably are. I'd bet the people behind the article weren't even born in the '70s. In fact, I'd bet the people behind the article weren't even born in the '80s. They have no firsthand experience of what things were actually like during the period they're writing about...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
Today I saw a link to an article about Jaclyn Smith that said "Jaclyn Smith Is Almost 90, This Is Her Now".

Okay, "almost" may be a relative term, but please, Jaclyn Smith is 74, she's not near 90!! But if she is near 90, then that must mean most of the living original DS actresses are near 90, too!!  [ghost_rolleyes]  Though I doubt they'd agree.  [ghost_nowink]