Author Topic: Which actors will be attending the 06 fest  (Read 7498 times)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
Re: Which actors will be attending the 06 fest
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2006, 05:58:26 PM »
I think a lot of the Tarrytown fest dpended on whether you had a car or not. They dodn't have great lunch service available. Again, I need to warn first time attendees, that DS conventions are designed for people who don't have meals betweem 9:00 am and 9:00 pm  :-X. Really, Tarrytown had a nice diner down the street, and we drove up one side of the Hudson river up to West Point and then back down. (Diane was born on Poughkepsie so we got to that show a day early to make the drive.)  But if you didn't have a car, other than the great pool and hot tub, it would have bit the big one. The Brooklyn Marriott has some good places to eat nearby. There's one street full of nice international restaurants about 2 blocks over,  [banana] [chkyb] [chkyg] [chkyy]  and the next block over had some take outs and Subway. The Brooklyn Marriott has a nice restaurant, but at Marriott prices, meaning breakfast about $20 per person. Nice for one day but pricey on day 3. Then again, there's the subway to Manhattan.There's also a nice pool and gym at the Brooklyn.

Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2006, 08:34:28 PM »
I think a lot of the Tarrytown fest dpended on whether you had a car or not. They dodn't have great lunch service available. Again, I need to warn first time attendees, that DS conventions are designed for people who don't have meals betweem 9:00 am and 9:00 pm

No joke!!  If you are hypo-glycemic, take a bagged lunch in the main room w/you and plenty of snacks, water etc...  However, if you're on your 3rd, 4th, 5th or beyond Fest, you've pretty much seen all your going to see and can pick and choose what you want to see and when you want to leave to go eat.  ;)

Really, Tarrytown had a nice diner down the street

If it's the diner I'm thinking of--The El Dorado--they *are* pretty good and we've eaten there over the years whenever we make a road trip to Tarrytown/Essex/Norwalk/Newport.  There was a deli down the street was NICE!  We ate lunch and breakfast there all weekend.  And the price was right!  Their chicken salad was KILLER!  ;)

The Brooklyn Marriott has some good places to eat nearby. There's one street full of nice international restaurants about 2 blocks over,  [banana] [chkyb] [chkyg] [chkyy]  and the next block over had some take outs and Subway. The Brooklyn Marriott has a nice restaurant, but at Marriott prices, meaning breakfast about $20 per person. Nice for one day but pricey on day 3. Then again, there's the subway to Manhattan.There's also a nice pool and gym at the Brooklyn.

For some reason a lot of ppl didn't like the Brooklyn Marriot, I thought it was nice and like you say, there was a subway stop a block from the place that would take you in to the city.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2006, 08:39:34 PM »
That diner is terrific, Buzz.  I have eaten there too many times and the food is good and the price is right.

I liked the Brooklyn Marriott too.  For anyone wanting to go into the city, it's an easy ride.

nancy

If it's the diner I'm thinking of--The El Dorado--they *are* pretty good and we've eaten there over the years whenever we make a road trip to Tarrytown/Essex/Norwalk/Newport.  There was a deli down the street was NICE!  We ate lunch and breakfast there all weekend.  And the price was right!  Their chicken salad was KILLER!  ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »
I had dinner at the Marriott in Tarrytown with three of the most entertaining gentlemen I've ever met.  I didn't actually give a DAMN what I was eating.......[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2006, 09:39:10 PM »
There's another great old fashioned american diner in downtown Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown called The Horseman, with the obvious theme. They have great sandwiches and breakfast as well. We've eaten there 4-5 times on DS trips.
Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2006, 11:15:54 PM »
There's a good Mexican place on Main Street in Tarrytown called Santa Fe.

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2006, 04:23:45 AM »
It would be awsome if my boy came Humbert Allen Astredo!!!! He is just so kool. It would be awsome if mitch ryan came and lisa richards, donna mckensie, kate jackson. I want to meet kate so bad i think she is so pretty!!! I wish they would have a fest in Philly!!! I mean whats wrong with Philly???

Evan

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2006, 07:26:23 PM »
I had lunch at the Tarrytown hotel and got food poisioning later on, it also took forever to get the bill.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2006, 08:15:20 PM »
from the shadowgram update it sounds like the same actors as ususal are coming(not that i'm not always delighted to see them).doesn't it always seem like the "surprise" guest turns out to be terry crawford?

the only genuine "surprise" guests would be jonathan,mitch,alexandra,kate and david henesy and we know how likely that is. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2006, 02:13:55 AM »
doesn't it always seem like the "surprise" guest turns out to be terry crawford?

[laughing4] [lghy] [laughing6] [a1f5] [rofl10]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
I wish they would have a fest in Philly!!! I mean whats wrong with Philly???

It's not NY or LA, LOL!  Seriously, I think they've pretty much said they will only do Fest's in NY or LA.  It sucks really, I'd love to see one come to DC!
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2006, 06:05:39 AM »
I have the best hopes for Kate Jackson, and perhaps Kathy Cody making first appearences. Kate Jackson has just started doing fan shows in the last two years, admittedly moreso because of the Charlies Angels series than us, and Kathy Cody was scheduled for last year but canceled due to illness. I think Alexandra would be great and my one great wish is that all attendees would respect her private life and stick to speaking to her on her work or at the most her son. I can understand her having been reluctant to attend, thinking someone is likely to ask something inappropriate. Nonetheless, the reception she at the Dark Shadows evening at the Director's Guild was so warm that I think she was surprised and touched. I actually was lucky enough to meet Lela Swift at that event in the lobby afterwards, and she told me she "...didn't know why she hadn't been to a DS show lately" and implied she wasn't being asked. I would think Lela would be one of the first people asked, I think she probaly worked on more single epsiodes than anyone.

This is very iinteresting Michael, and I think it was great that Alexandra and Kate were also at the Museum of Radio and Television tribute to DS, DC was there, too. You notice, though, that there was a big hole on that stage, Jonathan was not there.  Jonathan SHOULD have been there, since this was a serious event honoring DS as a television milestone, but he was not there.  If Jonathan could not bring himself to go to the MTR event, I see no way he would go to the 40th anniversary fest, where while he would get a tumultuous standing room only reception, he would probably find it to be the same old same old with not much new to interest him in coming to Brooklyn....

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2006, 06:23:47 PM »
Well....
I don't know WHY they have to have it in Brooklyn again.   :P

okay folks i live in NYC and a few things for those who haven't or don't visit often.  This is NOT the NYC of the 1970s; its safe to ride the subway and cheap .. you can go from the Brooklyn Marriott to Times Square in 10 mins on the subway.   My recommendation would be getting a 3-day subway/bus pass then you can ride to your heart's content and visit various other spots in the City. . i.e. catch the A train to Times Square and then walk over 2 Avenues to the old studio. .  or east to Carnegie Deli (near Carnegie Hall).  There are things to do in Brooklyn but it's not as easily apparent to out of town visitors.

Just remember trains bound to the Bronx is North/uptown and those destined for Brooklyn is South/Downtown.

my 2 cents.
Julia99

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2006, 07:51:25 PM »
Exactly. It really isn't a hardship to get on the subway and ride into Manhattan.  Part of the fun in visiting NYC for the first time for me was getting on the subway and travelling underground - a brand new experience at the time!  For people who are not familiar with New York the concept of getting on the subway and having to travel away from the hotel they are staying at sounds intimidating but it's really not once you see how easy and fast the commute to Manhattan really is.  I rode the subway for almost twenty years and never had anything crime-related happen to me and didn't see it happen to anyone else either.  And, yes, I did have my eyes open the whole time.

okay folks i live in NYC and a few things for those who haven't or don't visit often.  This is NOT the NYC of the 1970s; its safe to ride the subway and cheap .. you can go from the Brooklyn Marriott to Times Square in 10 mins on the subway.   My recommendation would be getting a 3-day subway/bus pass then you can ride to your heart's content and visit various other spots in the City. . i.e. catch the A train to Times Square and then walk over 2 Avenues to the old studio. .  or east to Carnegie Deli (near Carnegie Hall).  There are things to do in Brooklyn but it's not as easily apparent to out of town visitors.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2006, 08:07:59 PM »
On earlier discussion of other locations--- I think people would find that anything they want to do in NYC is probably there in Chicago too.   Unless you're talking about very specific spots you're used to.    SF cons tend to be by O'Hare though, where you get the same problem with not having access to food etc. in the immediate vicinity.     The Hyatt O'Hare was great for the massive Doctor who cons of the 80s and 90s, but you were stuck there.    Almost.   The trains do get you downtown from O'Hare though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor