Author Topic: Which actors will be attending the 06 fest  (Read 7504 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Which actors will be attending the 06 fest
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 05:35:29 AM »
Well, I'll be there and, honestly, could anyone possibly ask for anything more?

Works for me.  :D

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 03:38:47 PM »
I think it would be great to have the festival in other areas of the country.

I've been told that the reason why the fests are held in NYC and LA is because most of the attending cast members live in either one city or the other, or both cities.  This cuts down on plane fare expenses and other costs for the festival.

Question, then why did the Fest Committee do a survey several years back of what other cities the fans would like the Fest to go to?  This was before the Vegas Fest I believe.  They had ppl send in their ideas of where they would like to go for Fests, but then nothing ever came of it.  What you say makes total sense, but then why that survey?  To quote Vickie, "I don't understand."   :(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 11:02:14 PM »
Claude, I attempted to post about the excitement engendered by the prospect of your cuddly presence at this year's Festival, but I'm afraid my fingers were shaking too much to type!

I'll try not to follow you around like Tate's Creation with Tim Shaw, big dark sad eyes mutely pleading, entreating, cajoling...

My, but you are the flatterer, aren't you? [blshy]

On a less narcissistic note  [confused5a]...

I, too, would love to see the DS events held in different cities each year.  The considerable discounts on hotel rooms make the DS events the perfect forums for visiting a new city.  I don't know about anyone else, but I think the registration fee for the Fests is really quite reasonable and I certainly wouldn't object to paying a bit more in order to cover the additional costs of bringing the cast members to a city other than New York or Los Angeles.

Another thought is to make the events more intimate, so to speak, with fewer cast members and more chances for them to do Q&A sessions, dramatic readings, etc.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 11:24:29 PM »
I think it would be great to have the festival in other areas of the country.

I've been told that the reason why the fests are held in NYC and LA is because most of the attending cast members live in either one city or the other, or both cities.  This cuts down on plane fare expenses and other costs for the festival.
I think you are probably, sadly right Nancy. Still, it does seem strange that they made such an effort to ask about other cities. Most especially, I'm sure it was stated by Jim at the end of one of the shows about 4 years ago that "Next year we will be in San Francisco..." That choice couldn't be too inconvenient for transporting the LA area guests, could it?
    KLS asked a group of us the same question and she was surprised to get a large number of suggestions. If I recall, pretty much the most popular alternate cities suggested were New Orleans (pre Katrina), London, Washington DC and even Bangor. I think all of them would be great, as well as the aformentioned Chicago or even St. Louis for another central USA town. I have to admit I like the idea of having a DS weekend in Bangor or Boston as they were mentioned so often on the series. With the Friday "roadtrip" to Salem!  [Witch00] [_witch_]

Michael  [iroc]
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 12:48:55 PM »
I'd like to know if there are any other fandoms out there where the majority of actors are so willing to attend their festivals.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 03:31:55 PM »
I think you are probably, sadly right Nancy. Still, it does seem strange that they made such an effort to ask about other cities. Most especially, I'm sure it was stated by Jim at the end of one of the shows about 4 years ago that "Next year we will be in San Francisco..." That choice couldn't be too inconvenient for transporting the LA area guests, could it?
    KLS asked a group of us the same question and she was surprised to get a large number of suggestions. If I recall, pretty much the most popular alternate cities suggested were New Orleans (pre Katrina), London, Washington DC and even Bangor. I think all of them would be great, as well as the aformentioned Chicago or even St. Louis for another central USA town. I have to admit I like the idea of having a DS weekend in Bangor or Boston as they were mentioned so often on the series. With the Friday "roadtrip" to Salem!

Right on Michael!  I'm right there w/ya!  I've been to Salem, it's a neat little town.  I would love to go back when we have a fulll day to explore (we got there late in the day).  I also like the idea of Bangor or even Portland as that was mentioned quite a bit on the show too.

As another poster mentioned, $25 for one, sometimes it's $25 for TWO ppl, to attend is way more than reasonable.  I too wouldn't mind paying a little more to go to a different city.  I mean, I *love* NYC, but I would love to, just once, stay home and have the Fest come to me in DC!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 04:08:07 PM »
You're all assuming here is logic involved here?  E.g.  the survey . .sure we all filled it out and participated but i'm sure the results went into file 13. . and as to some of the elders participating .. Swift, Curtis himself. . well there is an age factor (they're all 80+ years old) and i believe ill health might interfere with some of these folks attending not ill will.

As for Isles, Hennessy and Jackson ..well who can say?  They've just moved on. . .
Julia99

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 05:44:57 PM »
I have the best hopes for Kate Jackson, and perhaps Kathy Cody making first appearences. Kate Jackson has just started doing fan shows in the last two years, admittedly moreso because of the Charlies Angels series than us, and Kathy Cody was scheduled for last year but canceled due to illness. I think Alexandra would be great and my one great wish is that all attendees would respect her private life and stick to speaking to her on her work or at the most her son. I can understand her having been reluctant to attend, thinking someone is likely to ask something inappropriate. Nonetheless, the reception she at the Dark Shadows evening at the Director's Guild was so warm that I think she was surprised and touched. I actually was lucky enough to meet Lela Swift at that event in the lobby afterwards, and she told me she "...didn't know why she hadn't been to a DS show lately" and implied she wasn't being asked. I would think Lela would be one of the first people asked, I think she probaly worked on more single epsiodes than anyone.

Michael  [walk]

PS: When in New York, I honestly recommend the Sunday Brunch at the Slaughtered Lamb Pub in Greenwich Village,
its a great small werewolf  [Wolfie] themed place with great eggs benedict. I hope its still there this summer. I have their address is anyone wants to message me
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
When in New York, I honestly recommend the Sunday Brunch at the Slaughtered Lamb Pub in Greenwich Village,
its a great small werewolf  [Wolfie] themed place with great eggs benedict. I hope its still there this summer. I have their address is anyone wants to message me

OMG, a pub named after American Werewolf in London !  What could be more perfect than bloody marys at the Slaughtered Lamb?  :D

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 06:42:20 PM »
I have the best hopes for Kate Jackson, and perhaps Kathy Cody making first appearences. Kate Jackson has just started doing fan shows in the last two years, admittedly moreso because of the Charlies Angels series than us, and Kathy Cody was scheduled for last year but canceled due to illness. I think Alexandra would be great and my one great wish is that all attendees would respect her private life and stick to speaking to her on her work or at the most her son. I can understand her having been reluctant to attend, thinking someone is likely to ask something inappropriate. Nonetheless, the reception she at the Dark Shadows evening at the Director's Guild was so warm that I think she was surprised and touched.

I would LOVE to meet Kate Jackson, not only for DS but Charile's Angels AND The Rookies!  I watched her in all three shows and she seems like a cool person.  Would be great for her and David Selby to do a Q&A together.  I agree that it would be too cool for Alexandra to show up too and would also expect everyone to leave her private life alone.  I think they would, only an incredible clod would ask about Klaus.

When in New York, I honestly recommend the Sunday Brunch at the Slaughtered Lamb Pub in Greenwich Village,
[/b]

I too HIGHLY reccommed The Slaughtered Lamb, it is fantastic and I've eaten there many times, once w/Louis Edmonds even!  (he had the French onion soup and said it was great!)  ;)  It's got great atmosphere but be warned, it *is* a small place. ;)
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »
why did the Fest Committee do a survey several years back of what other cities the fans would like the Fest to go to?  This was before the Vegas Fest I believe.

Was it?  [hdscrt]  I could swear it was after, or at least after the Vegas Fest had already been announced. At the time the survey was taken I seem to recall reading posts in topics about the survey on the various DS boards and attending chats in which some fans said how much they wanted the Fests to remain in only NY and LA because they were disappointed with the Vegas location in particular because they had no interest in gambling or Vegas-style shows. They feared other non-NY/non-LA locations would also be lacking in the extracurricular activities they enjoy in NY and LA.

But, anyway, regardless of when the survey was, apparently ours is not to reason why we're surveyed about anything.  ;)  For example, what was the point of the most recent survey about whether we'd be interested in a new DS as a primetime or daytime series on cable or network TV? The point of these surveys would seem to be just to see where the fans' minds might be at, but then to do very little with that info.  :-

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 11:59:59 PM »
Well....
I don't know WHY they have to have it in Brooklyn again.   :P
I mean, if you're gonna have it in NY, then have it in midtown Manhattan for cryin' out loud.  Then there are places to go and things to do.
And if there are those who don't have any place they want to go, they can organize a candlelight vigil and take a walk down 53rd street to number 433.  It could be in protest of sacred ground being used in an inappropriate manner - or some such thing.
 8)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 01:50:24 AM »
I read recently that the average (AVERAGE!!) price for a hotel in Manhattan was nearing $300.00 per night.  Having the Fest in Brooklyn is probably doing most of us a  favor. 
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 02:12:38 AM »
i live in brooklyn and there are some fun things to do.

there is a very nice museum(world class egyptian collection for the laura collins in you)and a botanical garden both of which are only about four subways stops away from the hotel.

i'll post more specifics closer to the time of the fest.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 04:00:10 AM »
I could be remembering incorrectly, but I swear that back in the day, the Fest rate for rooms at the Marriott Marquis (a PRIME location) was $99/night.

Still, Brooklyn is just a short subway ride to Manhattan, so it's not remote by any means.

As for Salem, I spent several days there a few summers ago, and I absolutely loved it.  I've been craving a return trip ever since.