Poll

Would you buy a comic book Series based on DS?

Yes
13 (81.3%)
No
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Would You Read/Buy a DS Comic Book Series  (Read 4145 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Would You Read/Buy a DS Comic Book Series
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:18:55 PM »
There's a Kolchak comic which offers tales based off the orginal Kolchak series.  If such a comic book were produced for DS, would you be interested in it?  I think something like this by an Indy comic company would be really cool.  I wonder why no one has pursued this idea.  I know they were going to do one for the abandoned WB series.  Since that fell through, how about if they did one based on the classic series?  I think that'd be pretty neat.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Would You Read/Buy a DS Comic Book Series
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 08:32:22 PM »
I think it would be neat too. It would be cool to see an extension of the original series. I'm sure I would buy them.  :)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:59:38 PM »
If a new comic book series based on the original DS was in the mode of the series based on the '91 DS (that comic book series was somewhat flawed storyline wise, but beautifully drawn and still highly enjoyable), then, yes, I would definitely read/buy it. But if it was anything resembling the first comic book series based on the original show (dreadful storylines and ridiculously drawn), then, NO, I would definitely NOT read/buy it! I gave up on that series very soon after they stopped including picture covers and switched to illustrations. So, I suppose my choice would have been maybe - but that's not an option.  ;)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 09:13:26 PM »
I don't think you would have to worry about it resembling the original comics. :)

That said, I have the first issues with the photo covers, because I just love the pictures! :P

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 09:53:50 PM »
I would probably read/buy a new DS coimic series, especially if it was based on the original series.  the Gold Key photo covers were great, and maybe one or two of the illustrated ones were okay.  the cover is what sells...the new Kolchak comics (that i saw) don't draw me in to buying them.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:59:29 AM »
I would like it to be similar to the series but not the same storylines hashed over again.  I'd like to see the story continued where it left off, in 1971 when Barnabas, Prof Stokes and Julia returned to the present time.  I'd like to see what changes were made if any and a continuation from that point.  Make it modern day if need be, just continue the story and not redo them.

Cool comic cover, Coterie!!
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 05:42:06 AM »
Comic artist Todd Tennant actually approached me a while back with an idea to adapt my "unofficial" novel, Dark Shadows: The Labyrinth of Souls as a graphic novel, but due to other commitments that came up, we never managed to get a proposal together to pitch to DCP. It might be nice to try again one of these days, if we can synchronize our schedules.

Todd does primarily monster stories, but he's a big-time DS fan; here's his Web site for samples of his work.

http://americankaiju.kaijuphile.com/main.shtml

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 07:52:30 PM »
Yes. I would like to see the story continued where it left off when Barnabus, Prof.  Stokes and julia returned to the present time. I'd like to know what happened to Amy, Chris and Sabrina.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Online MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 07:57:05 PM »
He seems good; a lot of comics artists don't seem to have rendering forms in three dimensions down very well, or don't care.   I don't like airbrush though.   I like to see how the lines were drawn and the human touch in the shading.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 06:38:56 AM »
Mark, that would have been awesome!  Hope it comes to pass one of these days!

Comic artist Todd Tennant actually approached me a while back with an idea to adapt my "unofficial" novel, Dark Shadows: The Labyrinth of Souls as a graphic novel
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 07:01:53 PM »
If there was a new comic series, definitely sign me up. Even if they took the original storylines and just followed the original show, it would be pretty damn cool to see it rendered in comic format.

The Dark Shadows newspaper strip series was very well drawn and had original storylines.

The Gold Key comics were hysterical. I have one or two issues with photo covers and a couple with illustrated covers. One of the greatest panels in the series, I kid you not, has Professor Stokes chanting Inna-Gadda-da-Vida to dispel an evil spirit.

The Innovation series (I believe that was the company that put out the Revival comics) was beautiful, I imagine they must have cost a fortune to produce though which may be why the company folded so quickly.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 11:16:16 PM »
The Gold Key comics were hysterical. I have one or two issues with photo covers and a couple with illustrated covers. One of the greatest panels in the series, I kid you not, has Professor Stokes chanting Inna-Gadda-da-Vida to dispel an evil spirit.

;D  I adore the Gold Key DS comic books!  Other great moments include Angelique reciting a spell that includes the line, "When the moon is in the seventh house," Elizabeth referring to Barnabas as, "Barnaby," and the infamous issue in which Roger and Liz are husband and wife.  And then there's the story in which Barnabas, to protect his secret, decides to burn down Collinwood and frame an old man for the crime!  Plus, I like that the artists often depict Barnabas running around the grounds of Collinwood with his arms flailing about -- so unlike Frid's highly-dignified portrayal.

I never got into the Innovation books, probably because I never could warm up to the cast of the revival series.  However, I'd definitely check out a new DS comic book using the likenesses of the original cast.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 02:35:17 AM »
LOL, Claude--didn't Angelique also have an incantation that included "Inna-gadda-da-vida" among the lines?  Or was that some other supernatural critter in the zine?

Quentin was drawn to resemble Engelbert Humperdinck (the Tasmanian pop idol), while the "artist" (I use the term loosely) seemed to have confused Julia with Dr. Zira on Planet of the Apes.

G.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 04:19:59 AM »
Other great moments include Angelique reciting a spell that includes the line, "When the moon is in the seventh house," Elizabeth referring to Barnabas as, "Barnaby," and the infamous issue in which Roger and Liz are husband and wife.

I have the Elizabeth & Roger married one! One that impressed me a little was the one where Angelique disguised herself as Granny Bumper and used Magic dolls to try and stake Barnabas with a pencil! I thought that was pretty cool (that issue also included 3 inch werewolf Quentin vs. a housecat.) I'd like to see the "When the moon is in the seventh house..." one!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 04:49:25 AM »
One that impressed me a little was the one where Angelique disguised herself as Granny Bumper and used Magic dolls to try and stake Barnabas with a pencil! I thought that was pretty cool (that issue also included 3 inch werewolf Quentin vs. a housecat.) I'd like to see the "When the moon is in the seventh house..." one!

I've always felt that Granny Bumper sounds like the stage name of an elderly stripper...

Actually, that issue stayed with me when a friend and I went to a doll museum in the area.  The exhibit rooms were very dark and we were the only ones there, and I got a bit creeped out by the place.  <lol>

Quentin was drawn to resemble Engelbert Humperdinck (the Tasmanian pop idol), while the "artist" (I use the term loosely) seemed to have confused Julia with Dr. Zira on Planet of the Apes.

Now, if I were drawing a DS comic book (which would never happen because I have no talent for drawing), I would play up David Selby's good looks and always portray Julia in as chic a manner as possible.