Author Topic: No Death Penalty In Maine!!  (Read 644 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
No Death Penalty In Maine!!
« on: April 22, 2020, 07:56:43 PM »
As I was just combing through Robservations summaries for more examples of "MUST" quotes, I came across the scene in Ep #101 in which David shows his father a drawing he's done of a gallows (recall that David was fairly obsessed with Roger getting caught for killing Bill Malloy, even though Roger didn't) and Roger icily remarks, "They don't hang people anymore--not in this state, anyway." Exactly - Maine had abolished their death penalty. And if only the writers in 1970 had remembered that scene from 1966, we would have been spared one of my biggest pet peeves about Leviathans: the positively foolish notion that Philip could have been hanged after he was forced to confess to having killed Paul Stoddard!! Who knows how often Philip laments about that?! It gets to the point of being absolutely ridiculous!!  ::)

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: No Death Penalty In Maine!!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 09:04:37 PM »
So MB, you were ok with the Leviathans but it was the threat of Phillip Todd being hung that made the storyline ridiculous... LOL.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:24:10 PM »
So MB, you were ok with the Leviathans but it was the threat of Phillip Todd being hung that made the storyline ridiculous... LOL.

This always bothered me as well. It's lazy writing when proper research is not done. Maybe my experiences are skewed because I was around a lot of talk about capital punishment and I was aware that my home state, Rhode Island had pretty much abolished capital punishment since the early to mid 1800s. There was one provision. IF a person was serving life without parole and IF that person killed again, that person might be executed. No one had been in all that time. I was also well aware that Maine had no death penalty either since long before 1897, so Minerva Trask's threat to Rachel was also sloppy writing.

What always bugged me was how, in TV and movies, people were much more likely to get the ultimate penalty than they were in real life. Even on Star Trek, Spock is facing DEATH for going to Talos IV. This made no sense. Let's have a death penalty for going there. We won't tell anyone why, just don't go there. Let's make it forbidden fruit. Wouldn't it make more sense to just keep quiet about it, and label it hazardous?

The real reason of course is the mistaken idea that this kind of lazy writing leads to more SUSPENSE. I can tell you, I found the episode Court Martial just as "suspenseful." Kirk was not facing the death penalty. He was facing the loss of his career and disgrace.

This is a round about way of getting to your point, it doesn't matter if a plot is totally impossible and absurd in the light of day. The more realism you inject into the story, the easier it is for the viewer or reader to immerse him or herself into the situation. Stephen King knows this, as did Bram Stoker. Works like Dracula and Salem's Lot seem more realistic and vivid because they exist in a world that's just like ours except for the vampires.

That's my take on it anyway.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 09:46:30 PM »

Oh no - you'll note that I wrote:
one of my biggest pet peeves about Leviathans

Anyone who's seen my Leviathans posts on the forum knows I have many problems with Leviathans. Though that being said, I must admit that most of them don't crop up until the second half of the storyline. I think the first half, particularly the outset, was well done - but it falls apart badly at its end...

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 10:58:48 PM »
If that was one of your biggest Leviathan pet peeves about Phillip Todd and the prohibition about being hung, it's small potatoes to me. Forget about the Leviathan book that would have to fold up like an accordion to fit into the box or the whole concept of taking over the world by starting in Collinsport Maine. Or Alexander, the Leviathan brat from central miscasting. My biggest peeve with the story is Jeb and his bat. There is NO way his bat could have turned Barnabas back into a vampire ...unless Adam was dead. And if Adam was dead, Barnabas would have already reverted back to a vampire anyway. Lang proved that. So the whole bat business was faulty and unnecessary but dramatically changed the direction of the show just to make Barnabas a vampire again. [blackbat]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 11:09:42 PM »
As far as Adam goes, yup, it's a HUGE plot hole as to how Barnabas could have become a vampire after being bitten by Jeb's bat because Cassandra's bat attack failed. (Though it was interesting how adversely Angelique's vampire attacks on Barnabas affected Adam - and there was never an adequate explanation for that and why Nicholas was so concerned because he had heard Lang's taped message.)

Had the show continued, what I would have liked to have seen was Adam show up and it turned out that somehow through whatever the Leviathans did so that Barnabas could become recursed, Adam was also a vampire due to his connection to Barnabas. That could have explained away the problems. (Though, of course, that would have flown in the face of what Sam Hall's article had laid out for Adam. But hey, even Hall said a lot of what's in that article was simply the ways things might have played out...)

As for other supernatural problems during Levithans, I'm willing to look the other way with a lot of them because I've always felt the show was free to make up its own supernatural rules (so long as it stuck to them). However, when it comes to things like Maine's lack of a death penalty, that's a real world rule, and the show was not free to rewrite the real world...

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 11:46:34 PM »
My druthers would have been to scrap the Leviathan story completely and to just bring Petofi to present day. Could you imagine Petofi and Nicholas working together...wow!  Petofi pressuring Quentin to get to Barnabas and Nicholas on the search for Adam. Bring Adam in long enough to be killed before Barnabas or Julia or Stokes can save him and vampire problem solved. You could still have Chris and his story and bring back Paul Stoddard ...not as a victim of a Rosemarys Baby loanshark but as someone determined to find out what happened to Jason. You would have a real Paul/ Willie dynamic there. And if you really wanted a 3rd backburner story, go ahead and have Alexander ...not as a Leviathan brat but as a Wyndcliffe Omen boy giving it to Amy. There was good stuff within the Leviathan timeframe but it was just a major disappointment with the Leviathan nonsense after 1897. Too much possible good material was burnt thru leaving present day out of gas.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 11:54:13 PM »
Oh, patrick - why weren't you in charge, and not DC, when it came to coming up with how to follow up 1897?! DC so misjudged the audience when he thought the audience would accept a once again evil Barnabas (even it was through no fault of his own). Petofi coming to the present - IF ONLY!! But alas...