Poll

How many times have you watched the entire run of DS?

less than once
twice
three times
four times
five times
six times
seven times
eight times
nine times
ten times
more than ten times
more than twenty times

Author Topic: How many times have you watched the entire run of DS?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: How many times have you watched the entire run of DS?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 10:05:24 AM »
I FINALLY decided to post something again!  [winkg] 

I watched most of the episodes during the original run on ABC from the introduction of Barnabas to the end of the series.  I also remember watching parts of DS during the syndicated run during the 80's. 

Then, in August, 2002, I discovered DS on Sci-Fi (!) [clap] and watched it from the middle of the Adam storyline to the end.    I bought the last few eps. on video after it went off the air. 

In January, 2004 (2 years ago already!) I started watching DS from the beginning, when I saw the pre-Barnabas episodes for the first time.    [bigok]  I am now up to Episode #827.  I first purchased video tapes, then bought the DVD's.  I  now have all the sets up to Set #19.  I am currently watching Set #16,  and I will buy more DVD's again when I get to Set #19 .  It's amazing how many sets there are!!  [cheesyg]

I enjoy watching DS on DVD, because I can watch it whenever I want to, and the picture quality is better than it was on tv.  I also enjoy the interviews.   [smlyg]

------ Sally ------
[/size]
8)[coolg]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 08:25:46 PM »
I've never seen the entire run - I'm a virgin to most of the pre-Barnabas episodes and the post-1970PT ones. Lost track of the show in its original run when Daphne and Gerard showed up. And most of the neighborhood kids stopped watching when Barnabas was off the canvas, and "Bramwell" was Frid's new character. The early Laura story looks interesting, but my favorite period of the show was mid-67 thru mid-70.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 04:53:19 AM »
I only recently saw the pre-Barnabas episodes and am buying all the DVD sets.  I want the whole series.  I think I've seen the entire series through once but not at the same time.  I started seeing DS in the late 60's and finished it on the final day in April of 1971.  Then it wasn't until 2002 when I started seeing it again on the Sci-fi Channel.  It was during it's last run and they didn't finish it by Dec. 2002.  So I missed a week or 2 of episodes of the final storyline.  I saw it once originally in 1971 but I don't remember it.  When I bought the DVD and saw the introduction of Barnabas, I was SHOCKED!!! I never saw the evil Barnabas until recently and my heart skipped a beat.  I don't know how I would feel about "him" if I had seen those episodes first.  I first saw Barnabas went he was "good" and my heart went out to him.  Of course, I was 16 years old and hormones were growing for Quentin and Barnabas.  Now, I have an adult pov and more critical mind.  I still favor Barnabas but for different reasons.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 05:57:30 PM »
Quoting Joan Crawford  "This ain't my first time at the rodeo".  I've been to the place where Vicki comes to Collinsport on a train....a number of times.

But you know, if it were to start again today, I would be right there, ready to watch it.  It's very gothic from the first time they had called "Action".  It just gets more and more gothicy (sp).

Then when you get Willie, not the old one, but the new one, (John Karlen, the one that knew what he was doing), and he goes to the mausolem, well, it's every man for himself.  Very gothic.

Its like, if it were on, I would have to watch it.  I'm hooked.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 07:16:02 PM »
You realize, don't you, that "once" wasn't an option in the poll?!   Is
DS like potato chips?

I have not seen 1966, and have not seen 1968 since 1968.    It may be bits of 1967 through bits of 1969.    I resent the fact that no one has left the missing tapes on my doorstep magically.     Mysterious Benefactor, name validation awaits!!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline jeffreywj777

• Junior Poster
  • A Story of Blood Relations.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 03:01:38 PM »
I was a loyal fan of the series on TV starting with the 1795 episodes until it's end in 1971. I started collecting the VHS releases from 1989 through 1995 and subsequently watched the series from start to finish three times. I am now purchasing the DVD series but am only up to collection 5. But I will get them all in due time.

Jeffrey

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2006, 09:40:46 PM »
By my count, four times for me, with some qualifications. I watched pretty much the entire run as a kid, with the exception that during the last story it was being shown at odd hours here in Virginia, rather than each afternoon, so I missed a few during 1840-1841. (Of course, over nearly 5 years, I missed it once in a while anyway). SciFi was the first time I saw EVERY single  episode. I have watched two complete run throughs on Sci-Fi, and one complete run through when Diane and I completed the entire run, both "Red" and "Blue" tapes. Since then, we just run say a disc or tape through when we feel like seeing an particular run of episodes. I have begun to buy the DVDs, but its going to take a while. The funny thing is, sometimes the VHS tapes do look better, as I get a "digital strobe" or waivery area sometimes. Someone like Darren can probably explain that. Anyway, I always felt lucky that my mom liked the series way back when, so as a kid growing up we often watched it together, or sometimes when 2-3 of us kids watched it together. Now I'm lucky to be married to a fellow fan.   [love3] (BTW, Diane's favorite is the B&W Barnabas era.)
Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »
You realize, don't you, that "once" wasn't an option in the poll?!

Oops -  ::) - Midnite, Dom? Can this be fixed?

Is DS like potato chips?

Yes, I think it is! :D
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »
You realize, don't you, that "once" wasn't an option in the poll?!

Oops -  ::) - Midnite, Dom? Can this be fixed?

Sorry, but at this point the window of opportunity for changing anything about the poll has closed.  :(  Changes can only be made within three days of the original posting date. After that a poll becomes permanent as is.

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »
I started watching it on the Sci-Fi Channel, I don't even know where in the series they were.  My earliest (foggy) memories are of them having some sort of lottery where a member of the family had to spend a night in the tower room, after which they went insane or something.  Somebody help me out, where in the series was that?  Anyhow, I was kind of watching it on and off, maybe catching half the episodes, but then they started from the beginning and I think I caught almost all the episodes the second time through.  I didn't realize they quit showing it a few episodes before it ended until reading this thread!  So, I guess I haven't actually seen the whole thing.

Now I've got DVD sets 5 - 12.  Unfortunately, sets 7 - 12 are probably my least favorite part of the whole series.  But set 13 and the return to the days of the gypsies is just around the corner, and I remember liking that a lot, and just about everything else that comes after it.  Especially parallel time.  I'm hoping to get up to DVD set 20 or whatever they're on by the end of the Summer.

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 12:32:23 AM »
I started watching it on the Sci-Fi Channel, I don't even know where in the series they were.  My earliest (foggy) memories are of them having some sort of lottery where a member of the family had to spend a night in the tower room, after which they went insane or something.  Somebody help me out, where in the series was that?

That was the 1841PT storyline, the last one on DS. I still need to see that one. :(

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 02:37:34 AM »
when i first read this question i thought i'd say i've seen it more than 4 times but then i realized
i only saw the entire show start to finish twice and then have seen storylines like
1795 and 1897 and the chris jennings present many times as these are my favorites and when i buy the dvds will start
with these. the only problem left as i have many episodes on vhs and my vcrs broke
and i replaced them with dvd players what will the future hold? is is worth it to buy anything anymore?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 04:30:29 AM »
is worth it to buy anything anymore?

Don't get me started on obsolete technology. My daughter has a radio show that I tape off air so I can send it to her Grandmother.  This week I ran out of casette tapes.  I had to ask NINE employees of the local "Best Buy" where the packages of blank casette tapes were before I found them.  I'm pretty sure 3 of them didn't know WHAT they were, never mind WHERE they were..... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 04:49:57 AM »
Don't get me started on obsolete technology. My daughter has a radio show that I tape off air so I can send it to her Grandmother.  This week I ran out of casette tapes.  I had to ask NINE employees of the local "Best Buy" where the packages of blank casette tapes were before I found them.  I'm pretty sure 3 of them didn't know WHAT they were, never mind WHERE they were..... ::)

Well, that's just a little sad. Speaking as someone that is the age of majority of Best Buy employees, I KNOW what cassette tapes are. XD

Try this on for size. My younger brother (by a year and a half) had some friends over:

Friend: Can I use your telephone?

Brother: Sure. *points at rotary phone*

Friend: What's that?

*dies*

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 04:56:45 AM »
There's no option for "I lost count!" :)
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."