Author Topic: Jonathan Frid and Shelley Winters  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid and Shelley Winters
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 09:05:23 AM »
Jackie,you will probably have to resize whatever photos you choose to share.

When you go to upload the photo from the posting place, you will told what size will work.

nancy

I do have my screen capture [saved to CD] of The Devil's Daughter.  I could upload as attachments if that's ok with the moderators.  Would they have to be a certain size to use as attachments?  Any rules like on the Caption This Forum?  You know I like to share my screen captures with others.  ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 05:09:49 PM »
Thanks, Nancy.  I'd love to see them, Jackie.

The allowed file types, max size, and per post limit that you see when you attach images on Caption This! applies everywhere else.  The maximum attachment size that the system will accept is 100 KB.  As always, use the preview feature before attaching the image.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 06:03:04 PM »
Well, I personally am a huge fan of the movie The Devil's Daughter.  I'd seen it back in the day and didn't remember much about it, apart from Winters' over the top performance.  About 12 years ago I was able to tape it when it was on around 2 a.m. on a local station and a friend recently made a DVD-R for me from my old tape, which looks pretty darn good!

The movie is well worth seeing, I'd say.  Frid's role is more than a walk-on; he plays an important part in the Belinda Montgomery character's gradual understanding of what's happening to her.    As another fan commented, his final scene in the movie packs a poignant punch.

Winters is a hoot, and if memory serves, Abe Vigoda plays one of the cultists.  I think the movie was directed by Jeannot Szwarc who worked a great deal on Rod Serling's Night Gallery series, and Joseph Cotten has a nifty little role in it.  The Belinda Montgomery character is somewhat reminiscent of Vickie Winters in her "I don't understand" mode--I mean, if you walked into somebody's living room and there was a giant picture of Satan over their fireplace, wouldn't you think they were more than just "eccentric"?  There are also these priceless two white-gloved garden-hat-wearing ladies who live next door, played by two character actresses whose names escape me.  Their scenes add a disturbing note (because of how they're played) to the otherwise rather campy goings-on.

Some of those Seventies TV movies are surprisingly well done.  Anybody remember Crowhaven Farm, with Hope Lange battling seventeenth century Witches in New England?  Or Soimething Evil, with Patty Duke, where she has to paint a fullblown 9 foot magic circle on her floor to protect her family?

G.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
Re: Jonathan Frid in The Devil's Daughter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »
Here is a sequence in TDD where JF's character is trying to protect the girl.  She just discovered an album with photos of the cult's members but she doesn't understand it yet.  The butler comes in and tries to warn her to be careful and leave the album alone.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 06:19:52 PM »
Here are some more photos of JF in "TDD"  and the photo Nancy referred to where the tear comes to the butler's eye at the end of the movie.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 06:23:40 PM »
And one last photo of the cult members.  It is the photo in the album Belinda Montgomery's character finds. You can see the butler was a member so he knows full well what the daughter will be getting into.

Sorry if it's too small to see the faces; the quality of the copy I have isn't great.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 06:50:31 PM »
Jackie those are great captures!  they show up beautifully for me.

For those who are interested, the two "sisters" I mentioned are on the (viewer's) far right in the photo. Abe Vigoda is next to them, ie third from the right.

G.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 03:36:29 AM »
Jackie those are great captures!  they show up beautifully for me.

For those who are interested, the two "sisters" I mentioned are on the (viewer's) far right in the photo. Abe Vigoda is next to them, ie third from the right.

After all this talk about TDD, I think I want to see it again.  LOL  :o