Author Topic: Jonathan Frid and Shelley Winters  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Jonathan Frid and Shelley Winters
« on: January 14, 2006, 11:53:05 PM »
Has Jonathan Frid ever talked about working with Shelley Winters, who sadly has passed away today?

I wish "The Devil's Daughter" would be released on DVD - I've never seen it.

Shelley Winters did some great scary, possibly Gothic, parts back in the early '70s, "The Devil's Daughter," "Revenge," "Whoever Slew Auntie Roo," etc.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Frid and Shelley Winters
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »
she also had a small role in roman polanski's incredibly creepy film "the tenent".

this is the first i've heard of ms.winters' passing. :-[
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:57:59 AM »
she also had a small role in roman polanski's incredibly creepy film "the tenent".

I have the DVD of The Tenant but I've never watched it.  I didn't even know Shelly Winters was in it!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »
One of my fave films in which Shelley Winter's appears is "Night of the Hunter" starring Robert Mitchum. Plenty spooky. She was a fine actress and will be missed.

Janet
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:07:42 PM »
Hi all i saw Shelley Winters in a movie long ago called " Patch Of Blue"
Quite a movie.              Love Anne   ( she shall be missed)
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »
Hi all i saw Shelley Winters in a movie long ago called " Patch Of Blue"
Quite a movie.

That was a wonderful movie. Over the years, I saw her in loads of stuff, and I always marveled at her versatility. She will be missed.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 07:17:25 PM »
Just a quick reminder to please keep in mind that this topic is on a DS discussion forum and it is about whether or not Frid ever discussed his experience of working with Ms. Winters. As sad as her passing is, and as talented as she was, both of those subjects in and of themselves are way OT for the forum and are best discussed elsewhere where they would be more appropriate.

Thanks.  :)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 08:28:54 PM »
What were Shelly Winters and Jonathan Frid in? Was it a play?

Misa

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:33:06 PM »

They were in a TV movie - The Devil's Daughter.  I remember watching some of it when it was first aired -- all excited that Frid was in it.  I was quickly disappointed.  All he had was a brief walk-on as a mute butler or something.  Don't know why he bothered.  I remember turning off the TV in disgust.  Don't know if he ever showed up later in the movie.

Did he?

PS  Last thing I remember seeing Ms. Winters in was her role as Nana Mary on Roseanne.  Woooo hoooo!  Yes!  [thumb]

I've also fantasized that the afghan on Roseanne's couch is one of the ones from Dark Shadows that the ABC prop department dug up.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 11:01:16 PM »

It was a TV movie called DEVIL'S DAUGHTER and JF played a mute butler to one of the gatekeepers of this satanic group (mute because his more humane aspects cost him the physical removal of his tongue, if I remember correctly).  Bet that brought a halt to his Bronx cheer days!

Since most people enjoy JF's voice, initially the film is disappointing because he doesn't speak but throughout the movie his use of mime and facial expressions (exceptionally in the last frame of the film) is quite memorable, IMO.  I remember seeing it on TV for the first time and while I enjoyed his performance, I wish there had been more of him.  Frid talked about initially being told there would be more to the role than their ultimately was but he made the best of it.  For a popular soap actor to even get a visible role in a prime time movie back in those days was not at all common so he did better than most!

JF hasn't discussed working with Shelly Winters publicly very much.  I dont recall an instance when he did but he might have.  His tendency is not to talk about co-workers not just in a negative way but in general.

Nancy
http://www.nancykersey.blogspot.com

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 11:31:26 PM »

The Devil's Daughter.  I saw the entire movie recently and liked it.  No, JF didn't talk but his mime was superb!!  It was worth it to see him in the movie.  The storyline was ok, the main actors worked well together but my main interest was seeing JF in something other than Dark Shadows.  It was disappointing that JF didn't say anything but he did very well with his facial expressions and emotions.  His part was a major one but he has several scenes that adds spice to the story.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 01:15:45 AM »
Jackie, do you have any of your great screen captures from DD available to post here?

Nancy

I saw the entire movie recently and liked it.  No, JF didn't talk but his mime was superb!!  It was worth it to see him in the movie.  The storyline was ok, the main actors worked well together but my main interest was seeing JF in something other than Dark Shadows.  It was disappointing that JF didn't say anything but he did very well with his facial expressions and emotions.  His part was a major one but he has several scenes that adds spice to the story.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 08:59:35 AM »
This was the most detailed description I've heard about Frid's role in the movie.  I had heard it was brief, and mute, but that was about it.

Probably if I had seen it at the time, I would have been disappointed, as Connie was, had I been watching it in anticipation of seeing "Barnabas."  But now as an adult, with greater knowledge of what's involved in acting, I'm sure I'd find it fascinating to watch.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 04:32:56 AM »
Vlad,

I have not seen the movie in some years but since I enjoy seeing Frid act, my only disappointment was not seeing more of him in the movie.  Frid's role as the butler to Shelly Winters' "Yes, Mr. Satan-I-will-find-your-daughter-and-introduce-her to you-so-she can-fulfill-her destiny" role.  Belinda Montgomery was the daughter born of a mortal mother and her father was Satan.   Shelly Winters was some sort of den-mother type - I don't remember exactly and Belinda's character wound up sharing a house.  Robert Fox (I think that is his name - was last married to Elizabeth Montgomery) played a boyfriend or something.  Anyway, Frid's butler was like the Willie of Barnabas to Shelly Winters' character.  He wanted to protect, and seemingly prevent, the young woman from getting caught in the snares of Satan's family, wordly and otherwise.  At the end of the film when it looks as if all is lost for the young woman, Frid's character is seen with a tear coming down his face.

After Dark Shadows, I was quite excited to see anything Frid was in that was different than playing Barnabas so I was not set up to be disappointed in that way.

Nancy
This was the most detailed description I've heard about Frid's role in the movie.  I had heard it was brief, and mute, but that was about it.

Probably if I had seen it at the time, I would have been disappointed, as Connie was, had I been watching it in anticipation of seeing "Barnabas."  But now as an adult, with greater knowledge of what's involved in acting, I'm sure I'd find it fascinating to watch.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 08:10:27 AM »
Jackie, do you have any of your great screen captures from DD available to post here?

Nancy,

I do have my screen capture [saved to CD] of The Devil's Daughter.  I could upload as attachments if that's ok with the moderators.  Would they have to be a certain size to use as attachments?  Any rules like on the Caption This Forum?  You know I like to share my screen captures with others.  ;D
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/