Author Topic: A source for Vicki''s trip back to 1795  (Read 823 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
A source for Vicki''s trip back to 1795
« on: March 31, 2020, 07:43:03 PM »
Dear Fans,

I watched this movie with Tyrone Power, Ann Blyth, and other distinguished actors last night. It's known by various titles: I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU, THE HOUSE IN THE SQUARE and MAN OF TWO WORLDS, and is a remake of the 1930s film BERKELEY SQUARE. The movie dates to 1951 and I think it was most likely a primary source for the storyline in which Vicki traveled back through time to 18th century Collinwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcJ_rVQP3Tg

One of the themes that the two have in common is Vicki having an idealized view of life back in the 18th century before her sojourn. Soon after arriving, she comes to realize that "the past" isn't such a bed of roses as she had imagined.

The 1951 film does not have any characters corresponding to Joshua, Aunt Abigail, Trask, Ben et al, but the hero's name is Peter Standish which might have somehow suggested the name of Peter Bradford.

The most amusing character is foppish brother Tom played by legendary UK character actor Dennis Price... it would have been fun if a character like this had been part of the 18th century Collins family.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: A source for Vicki''s trip back to 1795
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »
Seems like something I would definitely enjoy. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for posting about it, Gothick.  [snow_smiley]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 08:48:25 PM »
The 1951 film does not have any characters corresponding to Joshua, Aunt Abigail, Trask, Ben et al, but the hero's name is Peter Standish which might have somehow suggested the name of Peter Bradford.

There was a William Bradford and a Miles Standish on the Mayflower.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 08:56:33 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this, Gothick.  I always wanted to see this movie, and had heard mentions of the parallel to the 1795 plot before.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 10:00:52 PM »
You are very welcome, Miranda!

Best wishes,

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 02:06:26 AM »
I enjoyed "I'll Never Forget You" with Tyrone Power and Ann Blyth more than I did "Berkeley Square" (the latter seemed rather creaky to me). It's been many years since I saw either one, and I'm not sure which is actually closer to the original play written by John Balderston, which I enjoyed very much. If I remember correctly, the Tyrone Power version has the hero as a scientist, which seems like quite a departure from the original play; but in a way that's an interesting choice given that the source for the play was an unfinished novel by Henry James that I've thought may in turn have reflected James's friendship with H.G. Wells.

From what I recall, it's not just the time travel story that could have inspired the DS storyline but the fact that, in the original play at least, the main character has a deep-seated fascination with his ancestor and so travels back in time to the world and life of his own ancestors.

I don't recall whether "I'll Never Forget You" kept that idea or not ... it would be fun to see it again.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 01:22:22 AM »
Just to clarify, I've wondered whether Henry James's "The Sense of the Past" was James's response as a man of letters to H.G. Wells' popular science-fiction "The Time Machine," given the shared theme of time-travel.

I'm not quite sure what I had in mind when I wrote: "the main character has a deep-seated fascination with his ancestor," as there isn't really a parallel to this in Dark Shadows - although the Collins family does take an interest in their ancestors and their family history. I watched the first half hour of "I'll Never Forget You" last night, and I was struck by one rather significant parallel - the portrait of an ancestor is prominently noted, including the hero's resemblance to him. Now that does have a very close parallel with Barnabas's portrait.

It has been many years since I skimmed through James's nearly impenetrable "The Sense of the Past," and I don't recall whether a portrait played a role, though I think it quite likely.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995