Author Topic: Joan Bennett Reveals Elizabeth to be Victoria's Mother on Dark Shadows  (Read 864 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I remember watching this clip years ago. I believe it was part of the DS DVDs extras at some point. When I watched it I thought it was great that even JB believed Elizabeth to have been Victoria's mother. Although her word doesn't necessarily confirm it as cannon, I think it's a widely held belief within the fandom that this is the truth.

If only that plotline hadn't been dropped during the early run of the show, it could have provided a great opportunity to explain the origins of Vicki during a flashback, similar to 1897, but maybe only going back 20-30 years to show Elizabeth as a young woman.

Also, for those who have read "Heiress of Collinwood" by Lara Parker, you may remember that this was addressed. I was highly disappointed in Ms. Parker's take on the story, especially because it seemed to stretch the truth and the timelines quite far in order to somehow make this all work.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I have always liked the idea of Vicki being Elizabeth's daughter. I found it very frustrating that Vicki's parentage 2one of the unresolved plot angles that Sam Hall did not address in his TV Guide article. But, since it was never addressed on the series, there really is no definitive answer. In an unpublished story, Marilyn Ross chose to make Barnabas her father. I can only imagine how Ross would have explained that.
But, soaps being soaps, there's no reason to believe that any reveal about Vicki's true background would remained canon. Soaps and comic books frequently rewrite back story to suit whatever the current plot is. I can easily picture Dark Shadows doing something similar.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
It would be interesting if the new DS that the CW has been looking at could some how address this plot line, even if Vicki was not a character on the show. Maybe her child comes to Collinsport or already lives there and is investigating Vicki's background and somehow uncovers the truth.

Whether that actually happens will remain to be seen, especially given that there is precious little news about a potential new DS. But it's nice that JB attempted to settle the story herself. She had to know the fans were dying for an answer.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
Re: Joan Bennett Reveals Elizabeth to be Victoria's Mother on Dark Shadows
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »
I’ve been reading through Robservations.
I’m up to the beginning of the Laura story line.

It seems like the better story would be if Victoria was the product of an affair that Paul had. 
It would explain why Liz didn’t have anything to do with her at first, but some kind of guilt lead her to give money for her at the foundling home.  And maybe curiosity and a sense of responsibility lead her to higher her.
An affair might explain Liz being angry with Paul enough to think she killed him.
Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 01:24:16 PM »
Of course now I read that Josette’s portrait is supposed to look more like Vicky than the portrait Sam gave her.

Maybe Liz had an affair, but it’s pretty cold to dump your child off like that.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 07:15:02 PM »
It seems like the better story would be if Victoria was the product of an affair that Paul had. 
It would explain why Liz didn’t have anything to do with her at first, but some kind of guilt lead her to give money for her at the foundling home.  And maybe curiosity and a sense of responsibility lead her to higher her.
An affair might explain Liz being angry with Paul enough to think she killed him.
I agree -- I would have liked that explanation the best, despite what Ms. Bennett said (or said she had been told).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 10:16:15 AM »
Yeah.  I guess the only drawback to my alternative would be she wouldn’t be a Collins she’d be a Stoddard. 

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 01:09:16 AM »
Yeah.  I guess the only drawback to my alternative would be she wouldn’t be a Collins she’d be a Stoddard.

No drawback, in my book. There are plenty of possibilities where that possibility could have led. I don't think we ever learned much about the Stoddards, did we? Either way, Vicki would be Carolyn's half sister. I do recall that Paul Stoddard comes back in some flashbacks much later in the series.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 04:26:10 PM »
Yes Paul does indeed come back.  In more than flashbacks too.