Author Topic: VERY Disappointing...  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
VERY Disappointing...
« on: January 09, 2006, 12:47:31 AM »
While looking for a box to wrap Christmas presents in a few weeks ago, I came across the *only* DS tape which I guess I overlooked/didn't box up.

Okay,,,,finally,,,house cleaned, most kids gone. Gonna pop a tape in, watch & post. Grrr...

First, I wrote on tape "DS A.M." For those of us who were watching 'live' about 4-5 years ago, remember TPTB on puke SciFi decided to air 1 ep in morning, one at I believe 10:30 pm est? So, I pop the tape in, it's all whacked out; if there were a button to 'track' (I guess this is old, huh?) I perhaps could've enjoyed the tape...but NO!

I found the only option I had was to:
hit stop
hit speed
switch to SLP
hit start

I had to do this approx every 30! seconds Yup, every 30 seconds, stop, speed, slp, start. (I suppose the VCR was defaulting to SP, and I did try another VCR, which was worse!) So, I'm not really enjoying it too much. Then, I notice I've taped about 15 minutes of 'Beyond Belief' after each DS ep.... On to the shows.

First ep, I guess I missed the first 4 seconds; here's Julia  :-*  :-* shouting at/to some hereto unknow entity..."What do you want? Who are you?" It's a Leviathan episode! (Well, it's better than no DS, right?)

Here's another head scratcher....at some point: [spoiler]Barnabas re-calls Megan, bites her, then Julia pronounces her dead. J & B go to 'make' (Barn's word) the stake; they return to dead-in-the-chair Megan, who's not there anymore.[/spoiler]
Also, [spoiler]Mr ChIPs calls the !!Zombies!! from the grave; near end of that ep, they're jumping Julia, including smacking her in the face (I didn't remember that)[/spoiler] then, no more....
[spoiler]Next ep, Barn is re-re?calling Megan and re-re? biting her....[/spoiler] i.e., she aint dead, (not undead, not dead in first place....)

How did I tape them out of sequence???? I'm soooooo confused!!

It was great seeing Bruno, NICHOLAS BLAIR!!!, TLATKLS, and folks, I saw an afghan....not, I believe the afghan, but it put me in just the right frame of mind!!

I also saw a commercial for Bell Atlantic DSL (for our east-coast cousins, that should make them laugh...imagine if it would've said MaBell!!)

Thanks for letting me post...I'm not done with the tape yet, but, who knows, maybe it'll be Debbie Does Dallas....

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Elmont

• Full Poster
  • The more I live the less I judge
    • View Profile
Re: VERY Disappointing...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 01:21:27 AM »
  Make sure the kids are sleeping when you view the tape, just in case it is Debbie Does Dallas.  Elmont...

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 04:08:35 AM »
It's fun to just pop in random tapes and see where you land.

Since the series is coming out on DVD I've been taping the UK Ghost hunting show "Most Haunted" over my old DS tapes. Occassionally there'll be a gap between shows or at the end of a tape and I'll catch the tale end of some DS episode. The other night I hit the end of a tape and there was Quentin and Alexis from the PT storyline (could have been Quentin & Angelique though, not quite sure where-abouts in the storyline it was) but I almost died when I saw Lara Parker's hairstyle and Quentin's horrible, horrible orange suit jacket.

Seriously... gross.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 04:56:31 AM »
How did I tape them out of sequence???? I'm soooooo confused!!

It's not your fault that they're out of sequence.  SciFi aired eps #961 through 964 out of order for years, despite fans telling them about it, til they finally fixed it.   :-

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »
It's not your fault that they're out of sequence.  SciFi aired eps #961 through 964 out of order for years, despite fans telling them about it, til they finally fixed it.   :-

Thanks...thought I'd gone off the deep end!

I've been taping the UK Ghost hunting show "Most Haunted" over my old DS tapes.
!!!!!WHAT????!!!!

aaaahhhhhh....don't do it...

For one, seeing the commercials is priceless. Secondly....1st ep I watched....even though it was Leviathan/1970...the credits read Daniel! Collins (not David, and they 'cleaned' this stuff up in the DVDs, IINM!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 01:32:03 AM »
the credits read Daniel! Collins (not David, and they 'cleaned' this stuff up in the DVDs, IINM!)

Have you heard that one directly or is it just a theory? I'd be suprised if that was occurring this late in the releases.

There really hasn't been a series-wide correction of all errors. There are probably about a dozen omits, etc. but I haven't heard or read of a single problem or ommission on any of the DVDs after # 12.

Any of the episodes that had never been in syndication (late 1897 I believe and the pre-Barnabas eps) would not be prone to any of these kind of edits as those were only mastered one time, back when sci fi channel nabbed the show. It's the middle ones (where there are several different masters that have gone hither thither and yon and un-documented paperwork on whats on each tape) that would be the most likely to suffer from the odd trimmed episode or 'fixed' blooper.

None of the ommissions on the DVDs have been intentional occurrences.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 02:27:48 AM »
Any of the episodes that had never been in syndication (late 1897 I believe and the pre-Barnabas eps)

Some markets (such as channel 58 out in Cape Cod/Martha's Vinyard) showed episodes up until part way through 1970 Parallel Time.  I watched DS on channel 58 in the 80s and was quite unhappy when the show ended smack dab in the middle of 1970PT!  Not sure if that has any bearing on DVD revisions, etc.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com