Poll

Which Quentin Collins do you find the most interesting?

Ghost of Quentin in 1969
12 (23.5%)
Quentin in 1897: human, sober.
7 (13.7%)
Quentin in 1897: human, inebriated.
11 (21.6%)
Quentin in 1897 as a zombie.
1 (2%)
Quentin in 1897 as a werewolf.
5 (9.8%)
Quentin in 1897 disfigured.
0 (0%)
Quentin in 1897 (body inhabited by mind of Count Petofi)
3 (5.9%)
Quentin in 1897 (mind trapped in Count Petofi's body)
1 (2%)
Quentin in 1969 (aka Grant Douglas, with memory loss of his past identity)
2 (3.9%)
Quentin in 1969-70' ( memory restored)
1 (2%)
Quentin in PT 1970
3 (5.9%)
Quentin in 1840
1 (2%)
Quentin in PT 1841
0 (0%)
Quentin in Night of Dark Shadows
3 (5.9%)
Quentin in 1995 (insane)
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: February 01, 2006, 06:13:16 PM

Author Topic: Quentin Collins  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin Collins
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 03:30:19 PM »
It seemed that they didn't know what to do with him once they got him to the present. I mean, he's there on screen, but they don't utilize him the way I'd think they would based on the character's [and actor's] popularity. He just meanders around for the most part.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 04:26:28 AM »
Ah if there was an all of the above option....

Still, I voted for Quentin's ghost. He was just so damn sinister! That storyline still is one of my favorites in the entire series.

You *have* to love 1897 living Quentin, it's just a law or something.

Post 1897 they just didn't know what to do with him really. Anyone remember the "star" speech he gave trying to save David and Hallie from Gerard? God, I only saw it once and I still remember cringing all the way through it.

1995 Quentin was just great. I mean fantastic. You really felt sorry for him, total 180 of the way we knew him to be. Carolyn maybe you could see falling down that road, maybe not the crocheted house coat, but after her disastrous marriage to Cthulhu she might turn a bit hermitous.

And 1840 just ranks right up there in favorite storyline category for me so....

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 05:02:29 PM »
i haven't seen the show all the way through so i really can't vote but i agree with some of what is being said about this character.

as a malevolent ghost quentin collins carried that storyline completely.obviously he was pivotal during the 1897 storyline.nearly everything that happened somehow revolved around him.

but from what i've seen of the post-1897 storyline they didn't really come up with a compelling raison d'etre for the character other than the fact that the actor that played him had become tremendously popular.after the amanda harris business the character seems sort of adrift.with jeb hawkes as the show's new bad-ass things got a bit top-heavy. :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 04:14:55 AM »
Quentin Collins so kool, and funny. I love him as the ghost!! Especially when he stands up at the top of the stairs and laughs. Him Swithing bodies is AWSOME!!! I love him as grant douglas. Its so kool when he gets into a fight with jeb hawkes!!! And i love him during 1840 parell time especially when [spoiler]he goes on trial for witchcraft.[/spoiler]By the way he played THE BEST DRUNK ON THE SHOW!!!!

Evan

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »
By the way he played THE BEST DRUNK ON THE SHOW!!!!

Hmmm, not sure I agree, Roger would be my choice!   >:D  Naomi would place 3rd behind Quentin IMHO.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »
I still consider some of Quentin's drunken reactions and lines to be harrowingly funny.  His drunken reactions to Magda were priceless!  Early Quentin 1897 was by far one of the most wittily written characters ever to grace the screen on DS.  He was the intellectual equal of a rather sharp Judith, could trade barbs with Edward and seduce the apron right off any barmaid in Collinsport!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 03:46:47 PM »
He could trade barbs with Edward

How true!  One of my favorite scenes between the two of them is [spoiler]when he says to Edward something like, "You are everything the rest of us are not Edward.  You're solid, stalwart and proper.  And your mind is hermedically sealed!" or something along those lines, can't remember the exact phrasing.[/spoiler]  I laughed SO hard the first time I ever saw that scene!  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 09:19:11 AM »
Nothing was "hermetically sealed" yet in 1897 yet, was it?   Good line though.    I identify very much with the sarcastic smartassism of Q.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 05:15:26 PM »
Nothing was "hermetically sealed" yet in 1897 yet, was it?

Pyramids.  Parts of them, anyway.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2006, 03:54:22 PM »
Hi -- I was glad to see that this topic was still active.  Leaving out the gory details, I got sick soon after posting on this thread, apparently never got over it properly and had a second bout of THE RESPIRTORY INFECTION THAT WILL NOT DIE which still has me home from work on temporary disability.  Haven't felt up to coming over and posting till now.  Just wanted everyone to know it was neither the company nor the conversation that's kept me quiet since the beginning of the year.

Interesting discussion about the hero's quest in the previous two comments - I have always looked at Barnabas in that role, and hadn't thought of Quentin in that way.

The way I look at it is similar to the differences between Luke and Anakin Skywalker.  Barnabas is more like Luke -- the good decent person who ends up facing his demons through situations not of his making.  Anakin has a lot in common with our rash, self absorbed, devil take the consequences Quentin.  He caused his own fall through his own acts, his own tragic flaws.  Both are on the Hero's Journey but take very different paths due to their differing personalities.

The mind switch with Petofi was superbly acted by both Selby and T. David, but it's no wonder that it took a psychic like Pansy Faye to keep them straight. I mean, you have Quentin possessed by Petofi confronting Petofi possessed by Quentin and... oh, never mind.

Yes they did a great job with that.  I keep meaning to look up the respective production dates to see if Trek's "Turnabout Intruder" ep with Kirk mindswitched with a woman came before or after this storyline.

Hate hate hate modern (1970) PT Quentin. He acted more like a Q-child than a man.

That was definitely a waste of an interesting character.  Given the nature of the Leviathan threat, AND the fact that Quentin had supposedly been searching for the cure to his curse since 1897 coupled with his preexisting supernatural knowledge, he should have had WAY more to do.  It would be very surprizing to me if in all that time he hadn't increased his knowledge of the supernatural markedly, not to mention develop contacts with as much if not more knowledge than he had.

I keep getting this evil mental image of Stokes calling in his old doctoral advisor, one Dr. Henry Jones Jr.  And Indy happening to be an old buddy of Quentin's from some supernatural scrape or other.....

I love the 1995 crazy Quentin; he was very fun to watch, and it seemed like payback for having driven poor Jenny mad.

The thought that occurs to me is if the guilt drove him mad that time, why didn't he have a complete breakdown after 1897?  If he wasn't a poster boy for post traumatic stress disorder I don't know who would be.  And at that stage of the game he was self aware enough to know it was all due to him and, as he says in the scene with Beth's ghost, he can't forgive himself.  Seems like a recipe for going mad to escape memories he couldnt bear, at least to me.

I still consider some of Quentin's drunken reactions and lines to be harrowingly funny. His drunken reactions to Magda were priceless! Early Quentin 1897 was by far one of the most wittily written characters ever to grace the screen on DS. He was the intellectual equal of a rather sharp Judith, could trade barbs with Edward and seduce the apron right off any barmaid in Collinsport!

Two great points there -- this Quentin is one of the most INTELLIGENT characters written on DS.  Once things started happening, he immediately started reasearching and trying to reason his way out.  Of course from beginning to end of 1897 they also show him as articulate and quick witted as well as someone who thinks on his feet.

As to the drinking, Selby does an excellent job acting that.  It makes me think of something I was once told by a friend who was a child actor, and whose Dad was a Broadway actor for many years.  The trick to acting drunk is not falling over the place.  Many play it as a sober actor desperately trying to portray drunken behaviour.  A good actor (and Selby apparently uses this techinque) is to play a drunk person desperately trying to convince the world they are sober.  That's exactly what I see when I see that scene with Magda on the stairs.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics