Author Topic: RIP, John Karlen  (Read 1960 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
RIP, John Karlen
« on: January 23, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »
Shadow Gram reported on Facebook yesterday that John Karlen has died.  I'm having trouble copying and pasting the bulletin, but maybe someone else with access will be able to do so.

Karlen was one of the greats, as an actor and as a personable guy who was kind to his fans and respected by his colleagues. I'm sad to hear he's gone.  [snow_cry]

ProfStokes

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: RIP, John Karlen
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »
I saw this on Facebook as well. He was in my thoughts through his health troubles over the course of this last year and I was hoping he would continue to pull through.

I remember meeting Karlen at my first fest. I was probably 18ish, just out of high school, and still pretty reserved compared to now. His outgoing personality and friendliness was a treat to experience for someone like me who, admittedly, was a little intimidated to be in the presence of people I'd been watching on TV for years at that point. He truly was a special person and we were all lucky enough to have experienced his gift through the characters he played on Dark Shadows.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
Requiem aeternam, Mr. Karlen.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
RIP to an incredible man.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:57:21 PM »
Sad news, indeed...

But one thing is now he and Dennis Patrick, and he and Frid are reunited in the afterlife, and once again they can share all the hysterical stories that they used to share with us at the Fests. Those were always some of the best moments at the Fests...

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:02:57 PM »
Johnny boy, you will be sorely missed.Thanks for the memories.

Someone on FB has a wonderful pic of J. Frid, Grayson & J. Karlen, saying, Together Again.

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 10:06:00 PM »
This article is accompanied by a nice photo of Karlen with Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless, his Cagney and Lacy co-stars, as well as a photo of a classic Willie moment and a NoDS still:

John Karlen Dies: Emmy-Winning ‘Cagney & Lacey,’ ‘Dark Shadows’ Actor Was 86

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 11:50:03 PM »
So sad to hear this, although his recent health problems seemed to indicate the day was approaching. While I saw him at a DS Festival 29 years ago (!), I never had the pleasure of actually meeting Mr. Karlen. I wish I could have, because everything I've ever heard about him (and what I've seen in his panel appearances) makes him seem to have been a truly remarkable man.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 11:55:27 PM »
How sad he will be missed.
May his soul rest in the peace of heaven
Love, Anne 😢
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 02:27:00 AM »
Bless his heart.

SHADOWGRAM UPDATE # 431
Wednesday, January 22, 2020

REMEMBERING JOHN KARLEN

It is with profound personal sadness that ShadowGram reports that beloved friend JOHN KARLEN passed away earlier today at age 86 of congestive heart failure in hospice care in Burbank, California.

Of course, John is best-known among "Dark Shadows" fans as the scheming drifter Willie Loomis, who becomes an unwitting servant to vampire Barnabas Collins, eventually becoming a confidant as well as a character with empathy and a moral compass.

John also was a longtime, generous supporter of DS fan efforts, readily helping the show enjoy a cult-classic afterlife by attending numerous DS Festivals as well as earlier DS-themed events, dating back to 1971 with John's participation in the "Miss American Ghost" contest to promote the release of the film "Night of Dark Shadows."

Indeed, John continued to be a lively, willing, and warm presence across nearly 50 years of the original DS series' afterlife.

When KHJ Television in Los Angeles began airing DS reruns in the mid-1970s, John joined a promotional blood drive. In 1977 he appeared as the first – and only -  DS guest for the first-ever DS fan convention gathering, ShadowCon I, as part of the overall science fiction / fantasy / horror fan programming at StarCon in San Diego.

This soon was followed by annual DS-focused ShadowCon fan conventions held in Los Angeles through 1984.  Along with other original DS cast members, John was a regular guest.

Subsequently, John participated in the annual Dark Shadows Festivals on the west coast starting in 1987 and he began attending the New York area DS Fests a decade later.   At every DS event he attended, John was always a delight to be with, very open, outspoken, often teasing and yet also interested in individual people and shared experiences and ideas.

Despite escalating health issues, John last traveled to New York to reunite with DS cast members in celebration of the show's 50th Anniversary in Tarrytown, NY in 2016. He also entertained fans at the DS Halloween Party in Hollywood, CA that same year. He made his last public appearance at the October 2018 Los Angeles sneak-preview of "Master of Dark Shadows" documentary in which he was interviewed.

John always enjoyed the camaraderie of his fellow cast/crew members and interacting with fans of all ages from across the U.S, and beyond, including Canada, England, Australia, Mexico, and elsewhere.

John loved acting and telling stories of his early days growing up in Brooklyn, his Polish ancestry, his early work on the stage, favorite actors and movies, and his love of sports, the race track, and a good meal.

A veteran of the Korean war, John was a passionate man with a long life of adventures and accomplishments. His contributions both in front of and behind the camera will long be remembered by the countless friends and fans he touched along the way.

We thank you, John, for bringing so much into our lives.

***** BIOGRAPHY: JOHN KARLEN

Born John Adam Karlewicz on May 28, 1933, in Brooklyn, New York, actor John Karlen attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York.

He is best-known for portraying Willie Loomis on the original 1966-71 ABC-TV daytime drama Dark Shadows. As part of the show's repertory company approach, he also played Carl Collins, William H. Loomis, Desmond Collins and Kendrick Collins.

From 1982-1988, Karlen portrayed Harvey Lacey, husband of actress Tyne Daly's female police officer Mary Beth Lacey, earning him a Best Supporting Actor Emmy Award in 1986. He reprised the role in a series of 1990s Cagney & Lacey television movies.

Karlen appeared as a guest actor in dozens of television series and movies from the 1950s through the 1990s including Kraft Television Theatre, Naked City, N.Y.P.D., Kojak, Trapper John M.D., Fame, Hill Street Blues and Murder She Wrote.

John made his motion picture debut in House Of Dark Shadows in 1970, followed by Night Of Dark Shadows, Daughters Of Darkness, A Small Town In Texas, Pennies from Heaven, Impulse, Native Son and Dark Wind.

His stage career began in 1959 with the Broadway production of Tennessee Williams' Sweet Bird Of Youth followed by Invitation To A March and The Milk Train Doesn’t Stop Here Anymore. Other stage credits include Marat/Sade, Caligula, and Prometheus Bound.

Survivors include son Adam and ex-wife Betty Karlen.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 03:54:43 AM »
John Karlen ...: Emmy-Winning ‘Cagney & Lacey,’

I was thinking earlier this evening how interesting it is that all three main stars of ‘Cagney & Lacey’ won Emmys for their roles. I don't think too many shows can say that. And in fact, Karlen is the only DS star who went on to win an Emmy. (Kate Jackson was nominated 3 times (for guest starring in the James at 15 movie pilot and for the first 2 seasons of Charlie's Angels) but she didn't win.)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 07:18:09 PM »
ShadowGram

"Subsequently, John participated in the annual Dark Shadows Festivals on the west coast starting in 1987 and he began attending the New York area DS Fests a decade later.   At every DS event he attended, John was always a delight to be with, very open, outspoken, often teasing and yet also interested in individual people and shared experiences and ideas."

Yes, yes, and yes. He was wonderful. I had a lot of fun with John, walking through his old digs in Brooklyn, his offering me a drink from a water fountain and releasing his foot from the peddle every time I bent down to take a drink. Real funny, John. I'll miss you!
He will be missed, but at least we can be with him through his many tv appearances and movies.

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 10:50:15 PM »
May his spirit fly free. And may those he left behind be comforted.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile