Author Topic: Dark Shadows music on CD  (Read 1223 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows music on CD
« on: December 23, 2005, 01:44:41 AM »

I've seen pictures of the Original Music From Dark Shadows Volumes 1-4 CDs (I believe they're OOP) and I've never seen them for sale anywhere, including eBay.

I have the OMFDS Deluxe Edition which I'm pretty sure is the same as the earlier Volume 1 release, but with an interview or two.

I'd really like to pick up Volumes 2-4. How rare are these discs? Do they ever show up at the Fests? Are they pricey?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Dark Shadows music on CD
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 08:36:42 AM »
I thought MPI was still selling them but their merchandise page seems to be down so I'm not sure if they still are.  Hmm. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 04:17:10 PM »
I bought volume 3 off of Ebay not too long ago, a couple of months. But they do seem pretty hard to find. I don't have volumes 2 or 4.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 05:54:42 PM »
I have them all. I was always obsessed with the music from DS (I remember being terribly excited when some DS music cues were suddenly used on Sat. Night Live in the late Eighties) so I had to get all of these.  I bought the vol. 2 through 4 ones at a store called Footlights Records in NYC many years ago.  MPI was selling them.  There is also the hoDS/NoDS soundtrack disc from Rhino, and at least one other DS music CD that had a lot of the rare 45s, including a thing that I think was recorded for a flexidisc sent to the Jonathan Frid fan club members.  It sounds as if Jonathan was standing in a linen closet when it was recorded, for some reason--the sound is very "matte" but I suppose it is a miracle it still exists!

G.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 06:06:30 PM »
I have the HoDS/NoDS soundtrack, the 30th anniversary (I think that's the one with the 45s) and the deluxe edition with the two interviews. Volume 4 seems to be the one I've seen the least of. I've seen a couple of volume 2, but just didn't have the opportunity to buy it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 08:43:52 PM »
I'd really like to pick up Volumes 2-4. How rare are these discs? Do they ever show up at the Fests? Are they pricey?

They used to be sold at the Fests, but I don't *think* I've seen them for sale there in years. Originally the prices were $14.98, but in recent years MPI has dropped them to $10.98. A quick check of MPI's Web site revealed that CD Volumes #1 (the deluxe edition for $15.98), #3 & #4 still seem to be available, but it looks like only the tape of Volume #2 ($4.98) is available (which seems odd [hdscrt]). The best thing to do, though, would probably be to call MPI (800 323-0442 ) to ask if #2 is still available on CD - or send them an e-mail via the "contact us" link they provide on the Web site.

From a purely packaging standpoint, I actually prefer Media Sound Records' original vinyl versions to the MPI CDs because of the photos that were chosen for the backs of the jackets. But those are probably next to impossible to find nowadays.  [wink2]  And in their favor, the CDs do contain "bonus" tracks that weren't included on their vinyl counterparts because of space limitations.

I was always obsessed with the music from DS

Same here. What a shock, huh?  [lol3]

There is also the hoDS/NoDS soundtrack disc from Rhino

One of my prized possessions.  [b003]

a thing that I think was recorded for a flexidisc sent to the Jonathan Frid fan club members.

That was recorded for the DS Vampire Club that I was talking about a week or so ago. I seem to recall the 45 of it was a free gift if you ordered all the various memorabilia packages that were offerred (which, of course, I did  [lghy]).

I suppose it is a miracle it still exists!

My 45 of it still exists:

Strangely, the 45 starts out with, "Hello my dear friends, this is Jonathan Frid," whereas the version of the 30th Anniversary Collection CD simply starts with, "This is Jonathan Frid." Other than that, they're exactly the same.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 09:36:49 PM »
I called MPI today and they have Volume 1 Deluxe Edition and "limited quantities" of Volume 3 available.

I ordered Volume 3, which narrows my search to Volumes 2 and 4. Anyone willing to part with their copies please contact me! [santa_smiley]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 09:47:50 PM »
I wonder if they are phasing out the individual volumes because of the rumored "Complete Music from DS" set that MPI was
supposed to release.

MB, I have the Media Sound records.  Even though there are less tracks on the records, I hung onto them because of those gorgeous B&W pics on the back!

Happy holidays everyone,
Penny Dreadful 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 01:13:56 AM »
That could be possible. They've never said anything more about that, have they [the complete music from DS]?