Author Topic: James Hall Mention in New Book  (Read 565 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
James Hall Mention in New Book
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:09:53 PM »
James Hall is mentioned a few times in the book "The Downtown Pop Underground" by Kembrew McLeod about the start of American Bohemia in the 60's & 70's.  He's mentioned a few times as being part of a small actors group in the East Village.  Although DS isn't mentioned.  His name is on a flyer for "Fire Escape Theater" in "Suicode Notations".  In addition to playing a character (a sleepwalking poet), he is also the director.  It was on 87 Christopher Street 10/22/72.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: James Hall Mention in New Book
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:38:10 PM »
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing the info, Joeytrom.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: James Hall Mention in New Book
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:56:36 PM »
That sounds fascinating. Pretty sure there was a sort of counter-culture scene in Greenwich Village already during the World War I period and perhaps earlier still. George Chauncey's book Gay New York collected a lot of material specifically relating to queers--but if there was anything avant-garde going on, we were pretty much there.

James Hall seems like a really interesting guy. I personally liked his episodes of Willie. It was so different from the Willie we know and love as brilliantly incarnated by John Karlen that I feel as if James Hall's Willie is a different person altogether--more sleazy and more dangerous.

G.