Author Topic: The reincarnation of Josette?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
The reincarnation of Josette?
« on: December 21, 2005, 05:50:34 AM »
The other night I suddenly got this idea.  [a_xmas]

What do you think would happen if Barnabas discovered that Julia Hoffman was the reincarnation of Josette?

Misa

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: The reincarnation of Josette?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 07:21:16 AM »
Barnabas would have been all over her - and she would have hated him for it....for awhile [santa_wink]

Countess

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 04:23:25 PM »
What do you think would happen if Barnabas discovered that Julia Hoffman was the reincarnation of Josette?

Are you kidding?!!  He'd jump her bones, and would she complain?  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 03:40:30 AM »
Barnabas would wonder what Josette had done to piss off the powers that be on the other side.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 03:50:02 AM »
No offense to our beloved Dr. Hoffman, but Barnabas might've thought:  "Boy, did I ever miss a bullet with that one."

Gerard

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 08:05:23 PM »
  I know that what I'm about to say, well, some of you will eat me alive.  Here goes...I don't think that Barnabas loved Julia.  He cared for her, but I've never seen anything that tells me that he loves her.

Julia on the other hand, in my opinion, adored Barnabas.  If Barnabas had told her to jump off the Empire State Buliding, Julia would have asked him 'How fast do you want me to go?'  I don't think those journals were just for experiments either.   [book2]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 09:39:25 PM »
I agree.  Barnabas loved her as a friend, but not in a romantic and/or sexual way.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 06:28:58 AM »
I know that Barnabas didn't love Julia in a romantic way, but that is why I'm asking how do you think finding out that she was Josette reincarnate would effect him? Do you think it would make a difference in how he felt about her? Do you think that he would no longer love Josette, or would he only love her memory?

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 07:24:55 PM »
That's an interesting question.  I speculate that he would love her as Josette, but what about Julia's persona?  Would he want Josette's personality/memories to re-emerge at the expense of his dear friend's own personality?  It'd make for a fascinating fanfic I'm sure.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 11:38:01 PM »
He could definitely have learned to love her. However, and it took a long time, he was finally able to leave Josette's memory behind and move on.  I think that Barnabas knew that Julia was in love with him and she knew that he knew.  I think that if Julia had really let down her defenses and let the love flow so to speak, Barnabas may have come around.  The feelings that Barnabas had for Josette only come once in a life time but he could have come to love Julia in a different way IMO.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 03:41:08 PM »
To get back on the subject....I still don't think there would be much of a difference.  He would have seen parts of Josette, but he would always see Julia.  Besides, I really don't think he 'loved' Josette.  He wanted her, he longed for her and anything Josette wanted, he made sure she got it, but loving her...no, I don't think he did.  Josette would be like she was when she married Jeremiah...scared to death.  She would be like Barnabas, 'I've had them (Barnabas or Josette), I'm tired of them and I want somebody else'  Especially Barnabas.  He wanted a woman, not a little giggley little girl.  Somebody like...Angelique.

Okay, I've cut my wrist, so you can come and eat me alive.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 04:10:18 PM »
I've always believed Barnabas loved Josette and Josette loved him. I think they would've been very happy together. Yes, in many ways Josette was immature, but she wouldn't stay that way forever. No one does. She would've grown into a woman that I can easily see Barnabas loving for the rest of his life. That's part of the tragedy of her character. She wasn't allowed the time to grow. She died before she ever really lived. Josette was scared of her marriage to Jeremiah because she never loved Jeremiah. Thanks to her maid, she married a man she didn't love, and of course that scares her. She can't make sense of her own actions.

I won't get into Angelique, but I don't think she was a "woman" to Josette's "girl"....certainly not in a positive sense. Less naive? Yes. Better? No. Josette would've grown into a far better woman than Angelique, IMO. She was already a better person as the "girl".

Julia being the reincarnation of Josette....it would be interesting, because by the end of the series, Barnabas was close to Julia as she was - his very dear friend. Even though he may not have loved her the way she loved him, I think she had a very distinctive place in his heart. I think he would always see her as Julia and no one else. And if his feelings for her one day changed, it would be because she is Julia and no one else.