Author Topic: Continuity grr  (Read 481 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Continuity grr
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:47:23 AM »
In the 2012 Depp remake, I always HATED the way Carolyn was portrayed.

Now, just having read Robservations #3 & 4:

a woman stays on that hill for 18 years--
(that's Carolyn); I also remember in the early days her mentioning something about the way the kids treated her or Collinwood in high school.

Patti

[Monster]          [Waving_Skeleton]
What a Woman!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Continuity grr
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
I think Carolyn suffered from having too much character and not enough time to grow into it. She was a typical angsty teen with a secret, and it wasn't until the climax that the secret was revealed--and it was so unnecessary to the plot that it was disappointing. Part of the downfall of that movie was that there were too many layers that could've been just left out and explored in subsequent films. And, of course, the comedy included where it really shouldn't have been.

I like the movie, and I watch it here and there, but it always gets me how much it should've really shined compared to what it was. I do think its interesting that you point out that Carolyn in the movie hues closer to Elizabeth in the series.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Continuity grr
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:09:51 AM »
At first, in the movie, I wasn't sure about turning Carolyn from a young twentysomething into a sixteen-year-old.   But the film advanced the story from 1966 to 1972.  To take, after taking all things into factor, it made sense.  And don't forget, scenes with Carolyn were deleted. 

Gerard