Author Topic: Any Joanna Going fans in the LA area?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Any Joanna Going fans in the LA area?
« on: December 17, 2005, 04:44:47 AM »
Anyone in the LA area who's interested in seeing Joanna Going on stage should check out the L.A. Theatre Works web site. She'll participate in performances of Caryl Churchill's Top Girls in January at the Skirball Cultural Center.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re: Any Joanna Going fans in the LA area?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 03:37:48 AM »
I am a Joanna fan in Los Angeles.  I have several issues.  1) Tickets are a little pricey. 2) It's tax season in January. 3) A potential conflicting baby shower.  If I manage to get past all of these issues, I may decide to go.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 07:12:15 AM »
1) Tickets are a little pricey.

Maybe prices are different for CA theater, and honestly no offense - really, but the $45-$39 price range seems pretty resonable to me - even fairly cheap. Just by way of comparison, Michael T. Weiss' appearance last year at Boston's Huntington Theatre (in Burn This) and his upcoming performance (in Les Liaisons Dangereuses) both cost $65-$48.  ;)

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 07:31:06 AM »
Aw... My poor dear MB.  Sorry, my dear I've been having too much Holiday cheer.  [8_2_73] I have count them, four parties this week plus the actual holiday!  I'm an animal. [santa_cheesy]

You are quite correct about the price of the tickets as "reasonable" or "almost cheap".  However, this is for a production that has no lights, sets or costumes, the actors read from their script and it will have that same annoying sound man from our Collinwood play this past festival.  And, is by the way, through the worst of the LA traffic.  I think the time cost is too high as well as what you pay for the ticket for such a nothing production.  Yes, ticket price would go up for sets, costumes, memorized lines, etc.  But, would be worth it to get rid of that guy with the smirky face.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 07:17:01 PM »
So, in other words, you feel it's more about everything that surrounds the production than the actual cost of the tickets themselves.  [wink2]

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 07:20:22 PM »
Probably so.... 

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 03:22:44 AM »
Clearly, radio theatre is not victoriawinters' cup of tea, but I thought it might be worthwhile to point out a couple of things.

Regarding the sound artist who participated in this summer's performance of Vengeance at Collinwood in Hollywood -- the Festival was very lucky to acquire Tony Palermo's services. His work is highly regarded in this field, and he has provided sound services for various groups including L.A. Theatre Works and the Pasadena Playhouse. He has also made it his mission to share what he knows about audio theatre via his own web site, which is located here. You may not like the way he looks as he performs, but Palermo is one of the best at what he does.

Regarding the cost of LATW tickets -- it's very true that they don't use the ticket money for sets or costumes or elaborate lighting. It is, after all, radio theatre. That's not what it's supposed to be about.

Back in the mid-80's, when LATW first began performing radio theatre, Robert Osborne reported on them for CBS This Morning. I've got the clip on video somewhere. In it, the actors clearly state that the purpose of forming the company was to allow them to experiment with material without the long rehearsal periods and other time commitments that would normally be required for a stage production. Sets, lighting, and costumes are simply not what they're about. Throw that into the mix, and you wouldn't see a lot of the actors who have full schedules with television and film commitments.

So where does the money go? LATW has always been very involved in outreach programs. They provide copies of a selection of their recordings for free to school libraries, and they provide the educational materials to accompany them -- lesson plans, classroom activities, etc. They also provide copies of their programs to public libraries in rural and underserved areas as well as to libraries with programs for the visually impaired. They also run the Arts and Children Project, which provides arts education opportunities for incarcerated juveniles in Los Angeles. (If I recall correctly, this was their original sole purpose.)

True, LATW does receive grant money from programs such as the National Endowment from the Arts, and they also request donations, but the revenue from ticket sales for their performances is very important for their community programs.

If you'd prefer to see a performance with full sets, elaborate lighting, costumes, and actors who know all their lines, then you definitely shouldn't waste time attending a radio theatre performance because that's not what you're going to get.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 05:49:09 PM »
It appears that Joanna Going is no longer in the cast for the LATW performances of Top Girls. Her name is conspicuously absent from today's Playbill Online blurb about the show. The LATW web site still shows her in the promo graphic for Top Girls, but her name no longer appears in the cast list.  :-

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »
Thanks, MsCriseyde!  You just saved me a trip.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »
JG is ill, btw.