Author Topic: Two More DS References  (Read 750 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Two More DS References
« on: December 16, 2005, 03:03:25 AM »
From Remembering Loveman's at Christmas Time:

Loveman's carried a wide range of products, and in typical department store fashion, placed them on designated various floors of the building. In the days when an elevator operator rode with customers, the operator would call out each floor and its product line. My favorite section of Loveman's was always the record department, which carried those hard-to-find 45's like the instrumental, "Quentin's Theme," from the 1960's TV show, "Dark Shadows."

Don't think I'd agree, though, that "Quentin's Theme" should have been a "hard-to-find" 45. It became a Top 20 hit, reaching #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart. For it to have reached #13, someone had to be finding and buying it besides me and my friends.  ;)

And from Hasta La Vista, Baby: Schwartzanegger denies clemency to Crips co-founder Stanley 'Tookie' Williams
(Which, I have to say, is definitely one of the last types of subjects into which I would ever expect or especially want to see DS tied  :o):

Shouldn't the death penalty be immediate, with none of this "waiting around" business? What is the use of wasting taxpayers' money keeping them alive when the sole reason they are in jail is that they will be sentenced to death?
Take Charles Manson for example. It has been almost 35 years since he was sentenced to death for the multitude of killings that he participated in or enticed during the 1960s. On March 21, 1971, Manson was sentenced to death. Where is he today? Not in heaven or hell, but sitting in Cocoran State Prison, California.
This all happened back during the Nixon administration, at a time when my mother was rushing home from school to watch "Dark Shadows." I know that this is quite a dated reference, but it just goes to show that this happened back when television was black-and-white! Thirty-five years (this March) have passed and he is still in jail?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Two More DS References
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:58:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing those, MB.  Those both strike me as very odd references.  I suppose the second one is written by someone under 30, who does not remember how widespread color television was by 1971--or, for that matter, 1969, when Manson and his gang committed those horrendous murders.  Were any shows still broadcast in black and white in 1969?  I don't think so.  I believe at that point, even all the soaps and morning shows were color.

I saw a CD once of recordings Manson had made in his jail cell.  I believe some of them were his own compositions, accompanying himself on the guitar.  It didn't mention whether or not he covered "Helter Skelter" on the recording.

G.

ClaudeNorth

Re: Two More DS References
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 01:42:01 AM »
Totally off-topic in terms of the DS reference, but if the writer had done his research, he would know that CA at one point had abolished the death penalty and that Manson's sentence was automatically commuted to life imprisonment.  Therefore, Manson is no longer on death row.

Thanks for sharing those, MB. Those both strike me as very odd references. I suppose the second one is written by someone under 30, who does not remember how widespread color television was by 1971--or, for that matter, 1969, when Manson and his gang committed those horrendous murders. Were any shows still broadcast in black and white in 1969? I don't think so. I believe at that point, even all the soaps and morning shows were color.

Color broadcasts were prevalent by then, but black and white television sets were still rather common.  I can remember in the early 1980s that some people still hadn't made the transition to color TV sets.