Author Topic: Making reservations for the 2006 Fest.......  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Making reservations for the 2006 Fest.......
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:25:13 AM »
The hotel is known as the "Marriott Brooklyn Bridge".

The address is 333 Adams St., Brooklyn, NY, 11201.

The phone number is 1-718- 246-7000.

I asked if it was too soon to book reservations for an event next August, but the person I spoke to asked me to call back tomorrow during the day, and ask for the sales department.  I can't imagine why...unless she thought I was trying to book a convention myself.

In any case, I will call again tomorrow.....but I'd be very surprised if they weren't already taking reservations for an event less than a year away.  Oh, and I will ask about a DS discount.....[wink2]

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Making reservations for the 2006 Fest.......
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 03:15:42 AM »
Please let us know what you find out, Rainey.

ProfStokes

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:52:10 AM »
In any case, I will call again tomorrow.....but I'd be very surprised if they weren't already taking reservations for an event less than a year away.  Oh, and I will ask about a DS discount.....

You can go ahead and book your room. I, however, have reservations about... Reservations. Ha ha ha ha ha!
Anyhow, I'm not sure about attending this year as I'm sure it will be mega crowded. Any thoughts on the overcrowding, cousins?

Janet

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 05:23:37 AM »
Well, yes, I guess we can expect the 40th celebration to be well-attended.  But that doesn't have to ruin the fun.  If you're like me and don't care a bit about getting autographs or buying "stuff", then you won't have to stand on many lines.  My first fest was at Tarrytown and I had a ball just hanging around with other fans.....especially the ones from HERE!! [wink2]

Besides, if the Fest gets to be too much, Manhattan is only a subway ride away.....!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »
It seems that the latest info on booking reservations for the Fest is: you can't yet.

According to the person I spoke with on the phone at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge, she couldn't provide me with ANY info about a convention in August 06.

So it seems we have to wait for definite information before any of us can consider booking reservations.

I'm wondering if it's a new policy on the part of the Marriott chain not to allow people to make reservations so far in advance because I'm sure I've done it without this problem in the past.
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 06:30:45 PM »
Have we gotten a formal announcement about the Festival from the Festival committee?  I suppose we must have done, otherwise you wouldn't have known for a fact it was going to be at the Bklyn Marriott.

What are the dates, please?  I would like to attend, if at all possible.

Steve

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 06:37:32 PM »
According to the festival website the thing is on August 25 - 27.

Bad weekend for people returning to college.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:30:28 AM »
Do what I did--- call the main toll-free Marriott reservation number, 1-888-236-2427.  Then explain very carefully to the helpful reservation person about the Dark Shadows Festival at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott and the dates.  It will take the person a minute or two, but he or she come up with it on their computer.  The rooms are $153 p/night   This can't be done online (as yet) because they haven't updated the DSF group code (I tried the old one.) But when you call, if you ask for an e-mail confirmation, they will send it to you right away.  Good luck, hope this helps.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 03:43:19 AM »
According to the festival website the thing is on August 25 - 27.

Bad weekend for people returning to college.

I have my heart set on going next year but the date change really made me angry because if I start school in the fall it will be impossible for me to go. Has it ever been that late before?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 03:50:33 AM »
Great detective work!  I hope the person you spoke to doesn't loose their job for booking a reservation before TPTB at Marriott were ready to admit they were hosting the convention.....  [angry7]

Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 04:33:23 AM »
The rooms are $153 p/night

Are you sure you got the Fest rate? The last several years the room rates have been $119-$129 - $153 seems higher than usual. Not that I'd really mind paying $153, if that's what the rate is going to be, but I just don't want you to have gotten jipped.  :)

Has it ever been that late before?

Yes. It's been even later. Off the top of my head, I recall that the '89 NY Fest (my first) was August 31st-September 2nd, and when the Fests were still being held in NJ, it was typical for them to be held in September or October. The '91 NY Fest was actually held November 30th-December 1st. I *think* that's the latest an East Coast Fest has ever been held.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 05:06:52 AM »
I could forward the confirmation to you, MB (with the personal info concealed of course) if you wish.  It says "Dark Shadows" under the heading for rate information.  I have one of those Rewards cards, but the confirmation doesn't indiciate whether this was even factored in, except for points.  The rooms normally run at least $200, so it is some discount.  I don't think calling the main number had anything to do with it, as I have always called the main number first anyway and never had a problem.  I too was taken aback by the increase, but (like many attendees) I'm looking for 1 or 2 room-mates and flying won't be necessary for me this year, so it's doable.

Still, if anyone does get a better rate, please let me know so I can call them back and haggle over it.  I'm not afraid of a good fight--- for a bargain!
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 05:22:02 AM »
Has it ever been that late before?
Yes. It's been even later. Off the top of my head, I recall that the '89 NY Fest (my first) was August 31st-September 2nd, and when the Fests were still being held in NJ, it was typical for them to be held in September or October. The '91 NY Fest was actually held November 30th-December 1st. I *think* that's the latest an East Coast Fest has ever been held.

The {ahem} Final Farewell Fest in 2003-- the first at the Brooklyn Marriott-- was rescheduled to Aug. 29, 30, and 31, which was a holiday weekend.  It prompted a petition from fans since the new dates conflicted with school schedules and necessitated travel on Labor Day for a lot of the attendees.  It's the only Fest I've missed since I began attending in the 90s, but my kids were starting new schools and I felt wary about going anywhere near LAX that weekend.  Perhaps the petition accomplished something, perhaps not, since next year's return to Brooklyn misses Labor Day weekend.

The rate that year at the Brooklyn Marriott (and the overflow hotel, since the former sold out-- it was, after all, the final farewell Fest  [santa_rolleyes]) was $135/nite + tax.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 05:25:58 AM »
What are the dates, please?  I would like to attend, if at all possible.

Gothele Darling,

I certainly hope to see you there!  And, I certainly hope to see many of my "cousins" as well.  I've been to several Fests over the years, but the my favorite was Tarrytown because I was able to spend time with so many of the good people of this forum.  (Of course, I still can't resist a well-stocked dealers' room...)

Regards,

John

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 05:30:08 AM »
ClaudeNorth, you had better be there!  Don't make me send the flying monkeys to get you.    [witch]