Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0002  (Read 1083 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0002
« on: September 23, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »
Robservations #2

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0002

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
The way the show uses the outdoor establishing shots in these earlier episodes before cutting away to the set is wonderful. Sure, they use pictures to establish the setting later, but that's very different from live film!

I always thought the set up in these first few episodes was creepy yet intriguing. Many plots points to build on, even if the build to the climax is a bit boring at times.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 01:00:08 AM »
This is no doubt some fans' favorite moment in this ep -

- and they know who they are!  [ghost_wink]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 01:50:31 AM »
I'm still in awe of what a terrific actress Nancy Barrett is.

In the beginning, there's not a lot of extraneous stuff; so, it's marvelous to watch the Collins'.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »
They definitely made more of an attempt in the early episodes to play up the elegance and richness of the Collins family, with scenes like the one MB pictured above. That seemed to have been lost in the later episodes, aside from a mention here and there of how rich the family was. Liz certainly did not parade around in ball gowns very often.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
Would someone really take a job without investigating the people first, meeting the child, and the family?  The Collins family knew she was coming, so why no one met her seems off.  They should have said she was supposed to get a cab and it didn’t show because of the flat tire.

Lots more extras at the Blue Whale. David is continued to be portrayed as a difficult child. Roger’s reaction to Devlin’s name adds to the mystery.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »
I guess at some point within the next decade, computer-generated image technology will become so cheap and accessible that some dedicated fan will finally create the film clip of Liz in full gown, drop earrings and upswept "tiara" hairdo ... running a vacuum cleaning in the drawing room.

Great photo!!!!!!

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 04:40:40 PM »
By the way, MB, if you have never seen it, you might enjoy this cleverly created video of Judy Garland and daughter Liza visiting Ann Miller's heavily "hoarded" home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-3BqUG_4s

G.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 05:45:50 AM »
I like how, early on, the show seemed to have its feet planted in two entirely different worlds: the "modern" world as exemplified by the scene in the Blue Whale, and the gothic world of the Collinwood mansion. The shift between them is a bit jarring at times (and that generic 60's jukebox score is atrocious, especially in an era when the real music was so amazing), but I generally like the juxtaposition. All gothic all the time would have made it seem dated from the get-go, especially to younger audiences.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 06:12:28 PM »
Excellent comments above...my thoughts exactly. Lol, MB, I smiled when Liz mentioned and then brought in tea. I was eager to mention that tea had been established as the house beverage in this episode though we see Roger's drink of choice is on the opposite end of the spectrum.
We meet Carolyn and Joe. Carolyn, unlikable as first soon earns our sympathy, poor little rich girl. Joe gets our sympathy from the get-go. The boy next door and the fire eater. The writing's on the wall there. Burke laughingly gets established as a real tough guy who needs but one glance to gain control over a bar fight. With powers like that and the money to back them up there's little doubt he'll be able to take down the mighty Collins family.
Collinwood has 40 rooms and no help to speak of. I hope Vicki likes housework. Vicki gets Liz's old room. I guess they don't make mattresses like they used to. It appears the drawing room looks out over the sea. I liked how they used Vicki looking out the window to segue into the opening title. Seeing Vicki on Widows Hill from below with Roger approaching is awesome. Vicki meets Roger. Great scene. Poor Liz obviously has her own demons.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 07:05:05 PM »
Lol, MB

I knew you would like that.  [ghost_wink]

Joe gets our sympathy from the get-go. The boy next door and the fire eater. The writing's on the wall there.

If I remember correctly, plans in the Shadows on the Wall bible are that, despite problems, Carolyn and Joe will marry - there's no hint of Joe getting disgusted with Carolyn and switching over to Maggie. I wonder why they soon abandoned Carolyn and Joe as a couple? And it was Art Wallace who abandoned them, so it can't be blamed on subsequent writers...