Author Topic: In what episodes did these pieces of music premiere?  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
In what episodes did these pieces of music premiere?
« on: December 07, 2005, 07:32:55 PM »
I'm trying to track down what the first (aural [santa_shocked]) 'appearances' were of two pieces of music: the Joanna theme (aka the NODS opening title and love theme)

and

that wacky steel drum fight/chase music used during the bridge fight in NODS. I think it was used during the Morgan/Pennock fight at the end of 1841 parallel time, but I'm sure it appeared earlier.

Anyone here know? [a_xmas]

Thanks!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: In what episodes did these pieces of music premiere?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:15:29 PM »
Only because I've been rewatching 1840/41 for the slideshows, I can tell you that the Joanna theme first appears in Ep #1136 (when Quentin finds Gerard playing it on the piano in the drawing room after the sheet music has mysteriously shown up on the piano). That episode originally aired on 11/02/70 and had been taped on 10/26/70.

I can't say that I've noticed the second piece of music yet. But if no one else posts about it before then, I'll definitely mention it when I do.  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 08:32:21 PM »
I guess the NoDS bridge fight music is different from the "zombies' bongo freakout" thing heard during the destruction of Collinwood sequence at the end of the Summer of 1970?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:39:44 PM »
Excellent recall, Gothick!  [santa_thumb]  I just checked and the music from that zombies scene in Ep #1109 is definitely the same as the music in the NoDS bridge scene. I don't know if that's the first time it was heard of the TV series. Now that I've heard in on a tape from the series, I'm suspecting that it isn't. I'm suspecting it had been around for a while - though no particular scenes come to mind.  :(  (But when I get a chance maybe I can locate it on one of the series soundtrack CDs and try to judge from the title because sometimes they're storyline specific.) But for what it's worth, Ep #1109 was originally aried on 09/24/70 and taped on 09/15/70.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 10:09:46 PM »
See, I knew this was the place to ask! [8_2_74]

A great help.

If you uncover any earlier appearances, please post them. Thanks!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 02:30:36 AM »
when I get a chance maybe I can locate it on one of the series soundtrack CDs

Well, so much for that idea because I couldn't find it on any of them. But watching five separate storylines concurrently does have its advantages, so if I come across it at a point earlier than Ep #1109, I'll definitely post. (Why do I think it *might* have been used during 1970PT? Perhaps anyone watching that storyline on DVD could pay special attention.  ;))

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 03:54:06 PM »
I think it was used during the Morgan/Pennock fight at the end of 1841 parallel time

Not to "quibble", but the fight was actually between Morgan, Kendrick and Bramwell.  [spoiler]Gabriel (Pennock) had already been killed off.[/spoiler]   [santa_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 05:43:57 PM »
I knew it was with one of the fights at the end. Did the music appear in the Pennock fight or just the Morgan one at the end?

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 05:55:48 PM »
I knew it was with one of the fights at the end. Did the music appear in the Pennock fight or just the Morgan one at the end?

You've stumped me!  LOL!  Been a while since I watched the whole plotline.  I did just watch that last ep though, about a week ago which is why it was so fresh in my mind.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline JosettesMusicBox

• Full Poster
  • JosettesMusicBox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 06:24:10 PM »
But watching five separate storylines concurrently does have its advantages,

MB - how do you watch 5 different storylines concurrently??? 

Now THAT would get confusing... I have a hard enought time keeping it all together watching it straight through... 

I bow to your greatness!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 08:36:13 PM »
I knew it was with one of the fights at the end. Did the music appear in the Pennock fight

I figured that you were referring to the fight between Gabriel and Morgan in Ep #1237 and not the climatic fight from Ep #1245, but I didn't bother to check the piece of music used for it because I already knew the piece you meant from NoDS. However, since there seemed to be some confusion, I just checked Ep #1237 and it's not the same. The Gabriel/Morgan fight uses what I suppose one could say is the first movement from the track entitled "Night of the Pentagram" on the original 1969 DS series soundtrack (as well as the Deluxe Edition CD).

(And speaking of the Deluxe Edition, I just noticed that the booklet for it doesn't include all the photos that the original 1969 jacket contained (most notably absent is the photo of Barnabas and Willie in Tom Jenning's crypt  :'(). But it also contains several photos that weren't on the original jacket - so I suppose we can't really complain too much.  [wink2])

or just the Morgan one at the end?

A scene preceding the climatic fight in Ep #1245, [spoiler]the scene on the roof in which Morgan tells Catherine that she's going to die,[/spoiler]does indeed use the same piece from NoDS - but the actual fight uses a brief snippet of a different piece (I *think* it's called "Curse of the Full Moon" and appears on the Volume 2 CD).  ;)

you watch 5 different storylines concurrently???

Now THAT would get confusing

Surprisingly it's not confusing. Actually, it's turned out to be a lot of fun.  [santa_cool]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 08:55:42 PM »
MB, how about the scene in PT 1970 when [spoiler]the now totally insane Stokes is running around Collinwood splashing gasoline everywhere? I think there might be a struggle, too, between Stokes and Barn?[/spoiler]

Darren, anything I can do to help out in your NoDS project, I do very gladly!

Steve

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2005, 11:23:59 AM »
Speaking of "Joanna's Theme", I must say that it's introduction into the 1840 storyline totally blew the magic of 1840 for me.  As someone who's spent most of my life listening to and studying music of the Romantic era, I was stunned to hear something written in the style of 1930's/40's (even 50's) popular music.  Nothing even remotely similar to those modern chord structures was written around that time or would have been written.  I can't understand how Cobert could have been responsible for that.  I mean, Josette's music box?  Definitely appropriate - something you certainly might hear coming from a music box around the time of Mozart.  Quentin's Theme?  That's okay - nothing ill-fitting about it.  THEN, we've got 1840 Quentin, living during the time of Chopin, Schumann, Liszt, etc., playing music in the style of Erroll Garner or Cole Porter!  LOL
Oy vey  [santa_sad]
Forget about Quentin returning from the sea.  They might as well have had him returning from World War II.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 07:35:40 PM »
Forget about Quentin returning from the sea.  They might as well have had him returning from World War II.

For almost any other character, it might be ridiculous. But perhaps Quentin used his staircase to travel into the future where he learned those styles and then composed the tune for Joanna to show them off.  [santa_cool]  Just a bit of Quentin's background that was never fully explored.  [santa_wink]  Or perhaps, besides being a genius at the Occult, Quentin was also a musical genius and way ahead of his time...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 07:52:49 PM »
MB, how about the scene in PT 1970 when

I finally just had the chance to check Ep #1060 and two different pieces of music are used for the scenes in question - unfortunately, though,  neither is the one from NoDS that Darren is looking for.  [santa_sad]