Author Topic: 1969 Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows Board Game UNOPENED!!  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
1969 Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows Board Game UNOPENED!!
« on: August 30, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »
1969 Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows Board Game UNOPENED!!

$3,500?! Slightly more than the $47.61 the other listing is asking.  [ghost_wink]

In the '80s/early '90s prices were so inflated that someone might have actually paid $3,500. Today, somehow I doubt it...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows Board Game UNOPENED!!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:32:05 PM »
Do these sellers just pull these prices out of their head or do they research the market value?

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
I could be wrong, but somehow I suspect it's been decades since anyone has gotten anything near $3,500 for the game, even an unopened one.

Time was people listed reasonable prices on eBay - and then if during the bidding the final price paid was inflated, well, that was on the bidders. Nowadays listings like $3,500 are ridiculous. Though there is the "Make Offer" button, so perhaps if the seller is willing to accept a reasonable offer, things might actually go for a lot less than originally asked. Who knows? It's been years since I've followed anything on eBay...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:29:55 AM »
Like I said before, MB, we original fans aren't getting any younger.  We have to watch our finances.  Because of you-know-who, the franchise not been passed to younger generations (there are exceptions). 

Do I, who has to pay for my utilities, have over three-grand for a game?  Will a twenty-something pay that for a game?

Again, I blame you-know-who for the collapse. 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 04:02:05 AM »
For some people it's not really about the money. If they REALLY want something, and if they have the amount of disposable income to afford it, they'll buy it whether what they're buying is worth the price or not. Possessing it is what gives them the pleasure and the money is simply a means to that end.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 04:29:20 AM »
For some people it's not really about the money. If they REALLY want something, and if they have the amount of disposable income to afford it, they'll buy it whether what they're buying is worth the price or not. Possessing it is what gives them the pleasure and the money is simply a means to that end.

If my wife and I made, say triple what were bring in now. I'd probably buy an unopened Barnabas Collins game to have as a kind of museum piece. I understand the desire to own something like that, and cost is relative.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
Gee, I see where the price has been dropped to $2250. Though I still have my doubts it will sell - I suspect they'll have to go a lot lower than that, even for an unopened version...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 12:55:01 AM »
Kinda reminds me of theBig Bang Theory episodes where they buy "unopened" Star Tek collectibles and chaos and mayhem always ensue. 

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »
What a price! Though, I'm more surprised that they have an original, unopened package given how people price things on eBay these days. I remember scrolling through eBay a lot back in the late 90s, early 2000s when I first got into DS and wishing I could buy some of the stuff that was listed. Over the years I've managed to collect some things, and have even thought about getting rid of them at one point, but something won't let me part with them.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 02:06:07 AM »
My biggest hobby has been collecting things from classic passenger ocean liners.  When I was in Paris at a flea market, I bought a complete ink-well set from the most magnificent ship ever built, the Normandie, that was in her First Class Writing Room.  Cost me $50.  I had it appraised (and this was the nineties) at over $5,000.  I won't bore anyone as to why this is so valuable - the Normandie can be researched on-line.  But I'm a fanatic about that glorious ship - nothing was like her before and nothing after.  I will be buried with that ink-well set 

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
That is a very intriguing collector's focus you have there, Gerard. A far cry from something a simple as coin/money collecting, which is something else I am interested in. Though I must admit I don't actively look to purchase things for my collection because buying money is expensive!
Brandon Collins

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 02:12:45 AM »
I know what you mean, Brandon.  We collectors obsessed with our interests will hunt and search for stuff we can afford.  I have lots of DS stuff.  As for my ocean liner fanaticism I have an original crew member's hat from the Queen Mary now preserved in Long Beach.  I have a complete silver-service set from the first class dining room of the United States rusting away in Philadelphia as we preservationists are trying to save her).  But getting stuff costs money.

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
Gerard, you continue to intrigue with your ocean liner collection! I've been going through my various collectibles over the course of this year and deciding what I want to keep and what I don't. I had a ton of TV on DVD that I've sold because of the availability of streaming now. I'm talking things I never considered selling before, but now it just doesn't seem worth saving and cluttering up my house. Especially because the amount of times I watched these shows before compared to now is vastly different.

However, every time I consider getting rid of my DS DVDs I can't do it. Though, I do have three DS VHS tapes that I've been trying to giveaway. Surprise, surprise--no one wants them :D
Brandon Collins