Author Topic: How long until password arrives by e-mail?  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Josh_Collins

• View Profile
    • Chilling Tales d20 Horror RPGs
How long until password arrives by e-mail?
« on: April 14, 2002, 04:12:02 AM »
Hi everyone,

You may know me as Jaerdaph or Joe from the Yahoo! Groups Dark Shadows mailing list.

I just registered (as Josh Collins), but I haven't received my password by e-mail. I'm not sure if this is because new members acceptance is monitored, or there's a problem with certain e-mail domains. I use Road Runner.

Look forward to chatting with you all about DS  :)

Joe

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: How long until password arrives by e-mail?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2002, 05:01:19 AM »
Hi Josh/Joe!  Glad you found your way here.

I just registered (as Josh Collins), but I haven't received my password by e-mail. I'm not sure if this is because new members acceptance is monitored, or there's a problem with certain e-mail domains.  I use Road Runner.

Therein lies the problem.  There's a topic above on this board about Registration that explains it as well, but unfortunately all email services that use AOL servers, which includes not only AOL itself but also Road Runner, Compuserve and Netscape.com, don't allow mail from dsboards to get through, which means the password can't get to you.  We've been asking these members to register using another address.  If you don't have access to another email server, perhaps you'd consider setting up a hotmail, yahoo or juno account, and there's a link to hotmail in the posting section of the forum's Help files.  I set one up recently so that I could show someone else how to do it, and it was EASY!

In the meantime, I'm going to delete your prior registration ONLY so that the name Josh_Collins will be available for you when you register again.

Look forward to chatting with you all about DS :)

Same here!  Please let me know if you need any help getting reregistered.

Offline Josh_Collins

• View Profile
    • Chilling Tales d20 Horror RPGs
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2002, 07:47:10 PM »
Thanks Midnite! - I used my Yahoo! mail account and was able to register 8)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2002, 08:20:29 PM »
I used my Yahoo! mail account and was able to register 8)

Fantastic!!!

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2002, 12:03:47 AM »
I have AT&T Broadband which I believe is Road Runner and I got my password e-mailed to me when I registered.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2002, 12:46:06 AM »
I have AT&T Broadband which I believe is Road Runner and I got my password e-mailed to me when I registered.

Hi, Blue_Whale_Barfly,

Sorry, I should've been more specific.  The Road Runner owned by Time Warner is affiliated with AOL, and this in turn makes all rr.com addresses unable to receive mail from dsboards.

There are independent cable companies, including AT&T, that also provide Road Runner service, but they're not affected because they don't use AOL mail servers.

Webtv, on the other hand, appears to be iffy; some are able to receive their password and some aren't.  Please don't ask me to explain it because to quote Vicki, I don't understand!   We're handling passwords to webtv users on a case by case basis.

Only one member registered using Prodigy so we're still unsure if there's a problem there or not.